ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Wishing the best for the Northwestern Olympians

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
CMT started a thread on the "Other Sports Board" listing the Northwestern Olympians now competing in the Tokyo Olympics as originally identified by NUSports.com.

Since almost no-one here checks into the "Other Sports Board" I have modified my responsive post here - wishing them the best in their competitions ahead.

The list is as follows:

FEDERICO BURDISSO ('23) – SWIMMING – ITALY

ANDREA FILLER ('15, '16) – SOFTBALL – ITALY

PALLAS KUNAIYI-AKPANAH ('19) – BASKETBALL – NIGERIA

KRYSTAL LARA ('20) – SWIMMING – DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

JORDAN WILIMOVSKY ('17) – SWIMMING – UNITED STATES

The list includes three swimmers who frequented the Northwestern waters at SPAC.

Alaska's favorite in the Games is also a swimmer, Lydia Jacoby, a 17-year-old from Seward, Alaska who made it to the finals. All here will be watching her competition today in the 100-meter breaststroke. She graduates from high school next year.

Perhaps Adam Crum, who was dubbed "The Alaskan Assassin" by his Wildcat Teammates and who attended Anchor Point High School on the same Kenai Peninsula can convince her to consider Northwestern for her college options.

Hardly relevant, but I did take a dip in the waters of the Kenai Peninsula's Kenai River when I stepped into a hole and fell and then went on to catch a cooler full of Sockye (Red) Salmon that ended up filling our freezer this weekend.

Maybe the "Big Fish" portend success ahead for the Northwestern Olympians.

IMG_5792.jpg

IMG_5824(1).jpg

IMG_5808.jpg

IMG_5786.jpg

From the mouth of the Kenai River to our mouths:

IMG_5840.jpg

Last edited:
CMT started a thread on the "Other Sports Board" listing the Northwestern Olympians now competing in the Tokyo Olympics as originally identified by NUSports.com.

Since almost no-one here checks into the "Other Sports Board" I have modified my responsive post here - wishing them the best in their competitions ahead.

The list is as follows:

FEDERICO BURDISSO ('23) – SWIMMING – ITALY

ANDREA FILLER ('15, '16) – SOFTBALL – ITALY

PALLAS KUNAIYI-AKPANAH ('19) – BASKETBALL – NIGERIA

KRYSTAL LARA ('20) – SWIMMING – DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

JORDAN WILIMOVSKY ('17) – SWIMMING – UNITED STATES

The list includes three swimmers who frequented the Northwestern waters at SPAC.

Alaska's favorite in the Games is also a swimmer, Lydia Jacoby, a 17-year-old from Seward, Alaska who made it to the finals. All here will be watching her competition today in the 100-meter breaststroke. She graduates from high school next year.

Perhaps Adam Crum, who was dubbed "The Alaskan Assassin" by his Wildcat Teammates and who attended Anchor Point High School on the same Kenai Peninsula can convince her to consider Northwestern for her college options.

Hardly relevant, but I did take a dip in the waters of the Kenai Peninsula's Kenai River when I stepped into a hole and fell and then went on to catch a cooler full of Sockye (Red) Salmon that ended up filling our freezer this weekend.

Maybe the "Big Fish" portend success ahead for the Northwestern Olympians.

IMG_5792.jpg

IMG_5824(1).jpg

IMG_5808.jpg

IMG_5786.jpg

From the mouth of the Kenai River to our mouths:

IMG_5840.jpg
Jacoby won gold! Congrats, Alaska.

Wilimovsky competes in perhaps the most insane event, the open water marathon, a nearly two-hour, 10k race in which the top 11 were separated by a total of five seconds in Rio 2016.

Wilimovsky finished fifth in 2016, finishing in 1:53:03.2. The winner finished in 1:52:59.8.

Said another way, Wilimovsky took .05% longer than the champ, and was out of the medals.

My math says the champ took 6,779.8 seconds, while Wilimovsky took 6,783.2 seconds.

Also, there’s one 50-meter pool in the entire state!

Last edited:
What a performance by that young lady.The first Olympic swimmer from Alaska and she takes gold.Congrats to the entire state of Alaska and to you Alaskawildkat.P.S. Hope you enjoyed the salmon. GO USA

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Thanks.

Agreed - ‘Go USA!”

During the opening ceremonies it was reassuring to see and hear the USTeam members chanting, “USA, USA!” although for understandable reasons Jill watching in the stands may not have been thrilled to rehear that refrain.

Reactions: Arlcatsfan
although for understandable reasons Jill watching in the stands may not have been thrilled to rehear that refrain.
Why wouldn't she? She's representing the USA and I bet she was thrilled to hear it in a positive context.

We were honored that she took the time to meet with the locals on her stopover here enroute to Tokyo. Apparently she will stop in Hawaii on the return ( if she hasn’t already done so) and will do a meet and greet there as well.

Reactions: NCPurplecat
Looks like there is some Moose Karma to add to the equation.

Visiting NU Alum son and family ventured out onto the nearby bike trail yesterday and had this encounter:

IMG_4879.jpg
IMG_4880(1).jpg

Then this morning another NU alum son and his family arrived. Something of a Big Ten Reunion as the daughter-in-laws were Northwestern and Rutgers graduates.

IMG_5999.jpg
IMG_5960.jpg
IMG_5949.jpg
IMG_6005.jpg
IMG_5977.jpg

With your NU alum son and family seeing the moose and Deeringfish having pictures sent to him of moose we are covered.Something good is afoot.The moose karma has a pretty high batting average.

With your NU alum son and family seeing the moose and Deeringfish having pictures sent to him of moose we are covered.Something good is afoot.The moose karma has a pretty high batting average.

The Moose Meter is in full charge.

This sighting from today (Friday) while accompanied by the NU Alum son and his NU Alum wife.

IMG_6429.jpg
IMG_6424.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT