ADVERTISEMENT

OT-Wow. St Joe's Westchester

Great basketball dynasty there under Gene Pingatore (he of Hoops Dream fame). Went downstate a lot when that truly meant something (unlike in today's watered down tourney). Isiah Thomas is among the grads as well as many other college standouts (Jordan Ash, too!) They finally won a state crown 15 years ago or so after a lot of near misses. I used to see Pingatore at McGaw once in a while.

Wasn't Pingatore a leading fundraiser due to his prominent position? I believe he even had a title in later years that went beyond head basketball coach that had something to do with fundraising.

I wonder if the donations crashed that much after he passed away.

Just announced closing at end of school year. Pretty stunning.

Not really surprising. They are down to less than 200 kids enrolled and many of those are getting aid. The writing was on the wall a long time ago and it would have happened much earlier had it not been for Pingatore. He kept that school open for at least ten years more than it otherwise would have been. Once he passed, it was only a question of when. The real question is what do they do with the property. It would not shock me to see another private HS buy the property and establish a separate frosh/soph campus. Fenwick? Nazareth?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT