ADVERTISEMENT

Other Games: Championship Weekend

Hungry Jack

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2008
the cotton fields and bus shelters
www.cbc.ca
Fun Fact: The 100 folds in a chef's hat represent 100 ways to cook an egg.

P12: Utah trounced Oregone last night 38-10. Utah outscored the Ducks 76-17 this season.

CUSA: UTSA beat WKU to to remain unblemished

Today:

B12: OK St vs Baylor, who is starting its backup QB today

AAC: 4 Cincy

MAC: Our very own Huskies play Kent St

SEC: 1 GA vs 3 Bama

B1G: 3 Michigan vs ioWa

MW: San Diego St vs Utah St

ACC: Pitt vs Wake n Bake

Sun Belt. Appy St vs Louisiana. Brian Kelly will be there practicing his accent

Reactions: eastbaycat99
I'm rooting for:
Ok St (Gundy is underrated, even if he's a neanderthal, would kill for Fitz to have that winning percentage)
Iowa, Alabama, SDSU (Go Hoke!), Houston, Pitt
NIU, sure, why not

I'm rooting for:
Ok St (Gundy is underrated, even if he's a neanderthal, would kill for Fitz to have that winning percentage)
Iowa, Alabama, SDSU (Go Hoke!), Houston, Pitt
NIU, sure, why not
Alabama!? Alabama?!?

If all goes well, it’s one southern school in the CFP. (Iowa, ND, Cincy!) I wouldn’t mind OkSt making it.

Alabama!? Alabama?!?

If all goes well, it’s one southern school in the CFP. (Iowa, ND, Cincy!) I wouldn’t mind OkSt making it.
ND in the playoff!? ND?!?
I'd rather watch Saban win 10 straight titles than see ND close in the 4th quarter of one semifinal. The "Independent" shtick is so perverse and worn-out in this day and age. I don't know how the hell Phillips can't get the rest of the sport to coerce them into the ACC. I know ND makes less money doing it this way, but adding them would trigger a new media deal and the per team average would go up significantly (mainly because the current deal Phillips didn’t negotiate is crap). ND being independent and not having to play a conference championship game is like if the Dallas Cowboys last 2 games were automatically wins, and if they make the playoffs, they automatically advance to the divisional round. It's a complete joke. It makes the B1G and the rest of the sport look like clowns.

I'd rather watch Saban win 10 straight titles than see ND close in the 4th quarter of one semifinal. The "Independent" shtick is so perverse and worn-out in this day and age. I don't know how the hell Phillips can't get the rest of the sport to coerce them into the ACC. I know ND makes less money doing it this way, but adding them would trigger a new media deal and the per team average would go up significantly (mainly because the current deal Phillips didn’t negotiate is crap). ND being independent and not having to play a conference championship game is like if the Dallas Cowboys last 2 games were automatically wins, and if they make the playoffs, they automatically advance to the divisional round. It's a complete joke. It makes the B1G and the rest of the sport look like clowns.
CFB is, more nakedly than ever, about power. Conferences and schools that have it, get more. ACC has it; ND has more. SEC has more than both.

CFB is, more nakedly than ever, about power. Conferences and schools that have it, get more. ACC has it; ND has more. SEC has more than both.
If The Alliance™️ has any teeth to it in substance or function, the first two will flip. I think the SEC acts with ND in postseason planning because they don't feel threatened by them, and ND playing mainly ACC/B1G/Pac just gives losses that weigh on Alliance resumes for at-large bids to the current and proposed formats. If Freeman were to recruit like a madman, maybe they might respect ND more, or if he ever beats the SEC in a playoff or playoff decisive game, they'd immediately join the Alliance in forcing them out of independence. The SEC wants to exploit their current reputation into a permanent reinforcing reputation through a larger subjective postseason. The Alliance needs to force it into an NFL like objective qualification.

Last edited:
I see your point. I grew up on ND, so sometimes it takes an effective verbal whipping for me to remember how stacked things are in their favor. Thank you.

But Saban?! Saban!? Go Gundy Go!
(Is Kirby Smart so bad? Sure. But Saban is so so so bad.)

Reactions: Bweiny
The most recent nakedness I have seen is Brian Kelly’s ambition
Kelly will be exposed at LSU. I put the over/under on how long he'll be there at 4 years.

I find it more than a bit strange that the Tigers are going all in on the guy. He coached a Top 10 program (maybe Top 5) to a 3-9 record against other top 10 programs. 1-6 vs Top 5 teams. 2-10 and 0-7 if Trevor Lawrence had played in the 2020 regular season Clemson game.

And they think he's the answer? Just wait till year 3 when he's still not beating Bama or Georgia, and then loses to the likes of an Auburn, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas, Florida or Ole Miss. He'll say all the wrong things as key home state players enter the portal and assistant coaches with historical ties to the state/program move on.

They gave 10 years and around a 100 million to a good, but far from great coach, who is a middle of the pack at best recruiter and a tone deaf PR liability waiting to happen. Oh ... and did anybody do their home work on his history at ND with 4 star QBs?

I think it could get ugly. With the AD likely to be shown the door as well.

GOUNUII

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Most of social hierarchy is about power.
One learns so much reading the internet. Now, can you predict how I will cook my eggs tomorrow morning, to celebrate Michigan laying one today? And it cannot be one of the 12 ways that most of us mortals know about.

Last edited:
Kelly will be exposed at LSU. I put the over/under on how long he'll be there at 4 years.

I find it more than a bit strange that the Tigers are going all in on the guy. He coached a Top 10 program (maybe Top 5) to a 3-9 record against other top 10 programs. 1-6 vs Top 5 teams. 2-10 and 0-7 if Trevor Lawrence had played in the 2020 regular season Clemson game.

And they think he's the answer? Just wait till year 3 when he's still not beating Bama or Georgia, and then loses to the likes of an Auburn, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas, Florida or Ole Miss. He'll say all the wrong things as key home state players enter the portal and assistant coaches with historical ties to the state/program move on.

They gave 10 years and around a 100 million to a good, but far from great coach, who is a middle of the pack at best recruiter and a tone deaf PR liability waiting to happen. Oh ... and did anybody do their home work on his history at ND with 4 star QBs?

I think it could get ugly. With the AD likely to be shown the door as well.

GOUNUII

Les Miles and Coach O both won NCs at LSU. It doesn't seem like you have to be that great a coach to win there.

I guess it's kind of an ego stroking hire for the program because it's saying that "recruiting is so easy here, the guy who couldn't recruit well enough to reach the top, at Notre Dame, will be able to do it here and win more than the prior two meatheads."

I guess it's kind of an ego stroking hire for the program because it's saying that "recruiting is so easy here, the guy who couldn't recruit well enough to reach the top, at Notre Dame, will be able to do it here and win more than the prior two meatheads."
Recruiting won't be the issue. There is tons of talent in Louisiana and LSU has a stranglehold on the state.

Young has 350 and 3 TD's in 32 minutes. Just FedEx him the Heisman now.

Real Sophie's choice between Michigan and Notre Dame for the last playoff spot. I guess a kid can dream they care about conference championships enough to put Iowa or Baylor over the school that thinks they're above them. Michigan should be ahead of ND even with a loss. ND shouldn't be able to jump teams they were behind, by not playing.

Reactions: stpaulcat
I hope FItz and Bajakian are watching the Big Ten Championship game so that they can watch and learn about these wide open, creative, modern offenses that I hear we so desperately need to win the Big Ten Championship. I am sure they are taking notes like I am !

Recruiting won't be the issue. There is tons of talent in Louisiana and LSU has a stranglehold on the state.
If you’re happy with 9-3 type seasons at LSU, you may be right. Otherwise you’re missing the mark on this one.

BTW … did you see the 6-6 Tigers this year? Not an especially talented team.

I hope FItz and Bajakian are watching the Big Ten Championship game so that they can watch and learn about these wide open, creative, modern offenses that I hear we so desperately need to win the Big Ten Championship. I am sure they are taking notes like I am !
Did you know that Michigan now leads the nation with 17 plays of 50+ yards?

Did you know that Michigan now leads the nation with 17 plays of 50+ yards?

Yea, good players can do that. Or maybe you think they have a 50 yard TD play sheet in their playbook that we don’t have?

I can’t believe we were in this game a year ago. Now I feel like our program is falling apart.

good players do that. Pickett is the best QB in the upcoming NFL draft.
Check out the recruiting ratings for Wake. Worse than NU. But they do a much better job of developing them. Plus a good number are 6th year/Covid guys.

Hartman was a low 3* but is a gamer and outplaying Pickett so far. That funky mesh-route that Wake run is really effective.

Check out the recruiting ratings for Wake. Worse than NU. But they do a much better job of developing them. Plus a good number are 6th year/Covid guys.

Hartman was a low 3* but is a gamer and outplaying Pickett so far. That funky mesh-route that Wake run is really effective.

i think you know I couldn’t care less about recruiting rankings. They mean very little. They have a much better team than we do this year. What I do know is that Wake Forest would gladly switch places with NU when it comes to football program achievements over the last ten years.

Man… I would go crazy being an Iowa fan. They are beyond boring to watch.

That is crazy no foul for targeting.
I was listening to the Michigan radio call (on THE VARSITY NETWORK app) during the review. Wolverines color man Dan Dierdorf (!) was straight outraged that this was even considered to be a targeting call, and then it seems he was even more outraged even after the call went in Michigan’s favor. We even got an aside about “well we know how the game’s going” criticism of the existence of the targeting rules.

I figured it looked different to more objective eyes.

(As an aside, I think that targeting is generally applied consistently and fairly, and that enforcement has gotten more efficient over time. It’s made football better.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT