ADVERTISEMENT

Other Games - Week 4

We will have our hands full at Neb next week. Their defense looks tough. Luckily their offense is suspect.

Why not? They had a bad game but clawed out a win anyway. It’s not like Nebraska deserved it more. Look at Frost’s record in close games. Lack of discipline and boneheaded plays make all the difference in those games.
Gosh, I really enjoy his confused face. I’m finding myself enjoying every Nebraska loss just a little bit more. It should be at a point where I don’t even notice — but UN-L football remains the gift that keeps on giving.

A half the teams on our schedule are Jekyll and Hyde on offense.

Sometimes they look like world beaters and then sometimes they look like a MAC team can beat them.

All depends on what version we face.

Still a decent shot for us to go bowling this year in my opinion.

Nebraska has played tough past couple of games but made boneheaded errors at times (as they always have under Frost).

Minnesota, Purdue, and Illinois look very beatable but who knows what version of those teams we'll face. Rutgers defense looks stout but offense can be hit or miss for them.

That a perfectly legitimate critique and one that I have made in the last several off seasons. Right now we should all be focused on figuring out how this team can have the best season possible. We can figure out what’s wrong with our QB recruiting after the season.
And is this not why Fitz is being aid $5,000,000 per year? For that, I bet I could figure it out.

And is this not why Fitz is being aid $5,000,000 per year? For that, I bet I could figure it out.

liaten if all you want to do is bitch and moan about something, then I can’t stop you. We are not very good right now, the quarterback position unfortunately is again a problem but what I think FItz is focused on and what I think we should all be focused on this s how this team can get better and win as many games as possible. We can talk about all that other stuff in the off season.

liaten if all you want to do is bitch and moan about something, then I can’t stop you. We are not very good right now, the quarterback position unfortunately is again a problem but what I think FItz is focused on and what I think we should all be focused on this s how this team can get better and win as many games as possible. We can talk about all that other stuff in the off season.
You are missing the point. for $5,000,000 per year you do not get mediocre, or even very mediocre.

You are missing the point. for $5,000,000 per year you do not get mediocre, or even very mediocre.

I am not missing the point. You are not understanding that I don’t give a shit about how much money FItz is making, which coach everyone thinks should be fired this week or wether Hank can come back as a consultant. None of this has any bearing on this team and how to get it to win as many games as possible this year.

I am not missing the point. You are not understanding that I don’t give a shit about how much money FItz is making, which coach everyone thinks should be fired this week or wether Hank can come back as a consultant. None of this has any bearing on this team and how to get it to win as many games as possible this year.
You make a good point. Is this the nature of football, that it is incrementally good or bad dependent on very subtle factors?

As in, can we find one? I am not harsh on HJ, and I do not feel we should be. The Portal seems like the easy fix, but it is not proving to be. Do we have a stable of good QB's for the future, or does that need to improve from recruiting out of high school?
Here's the problem that I have with your critique; it's way too simplistic and it's based off a roughly 3 year sample size for what this era looks like:

We've gotten 3 of the most highly coveted transfer QBs in the last 3 years when you consider HJ, Ramsey, and Hilinski.

Obviously, 1 of those was a home run, 1 hasn't worked, and the jury is out on the 3rd as of yet.

There will be times where we have a clear cut 3 or 4 year starter that gets the reins early and gives us clarity for a long period of time.

But there will also be times where we cycle through QBs like one and dones and they're going to be very hit or miss depending on how good they are and whether they can pick up the playbook fast and fit into how our offense works.

It feels like every program is going through the same progression cycle and it's very hard to find the "next 3-4 year guy" to bridge a longer term.

Just look across college football; even just look at the Big Ten and look at the level of offensive play these past 2-3 years. It's much more uneven and much more hit or miss.

Finally to your last question, due to the very nature of the new transfer (free agent) kind of system, it's going to be very hard to stockpile a stable of good QBs for the future. If you have a guy on the roster that can be a Big Ten starter and he's not playing... then he'll go somewhere else to be a Big Ten starter.

Most programs will only ever be able to hold one quality QB starter at a time if that. And that makes it very hard to transition to the next guy or to have depth at that position in particular.

Even programs like Clemson and Ohio State are seeing that in real time.

Is there anything worse than those Nick Sabin AFLAC commercials?

Only one thing... Maryland's uniforms. They're not ugly... they're hideous. Could be the worst in CFB history.

Last edited:
Gosh, I really enjoy his confused face. I’m finding myself enjoying every Nebraska loss just a little bit more. It should be at a point where I don’t even notice — but UN-L football remains the gift that keeps on giving.

.... and its probably going to give us an ass-kicking next week, so enjoy this weekend while you can.

Reactions: drewjin
Getting NU to play better--is it not therein, the problem? What gives me hope is the possibility the West will be better than the East and NU will be the best of the West, not because the rest of the West is "very mediocre." It feels as though we have taken a big step backward this year. You have to give credit to Fitz for making NU a winning and successful "very mediocre" program. If "mediocre" is the standard by which we judge, does that mean we are the best of the mediocre or just mediocre. NU Football was much more interesting when we were "terrible" but somehow won games, if only in overtime and by one point. I want for NU to be "very" something, just not mediocre. Which is what we are are right now.
Huh, so you would rather have NU be “very” bad like 2-9 versus “very” mediocre like 6-5?

The Las Cruces area is beautiful in December. Pecan-infused beer, why the heck not? And you want New Mexico green chile (sp?) on your burger. Accept no substitutes!

Yes Sir. Not sure how I got through the first 50 years of my life without eating green chile on most everything. And that would be HATCH green chile.... to the chagrin of those pretenders in Colorado (or just across the Mexican border if you're the former president) who think THEY know how to grow green chile. OK!

Definitely the Land of Enchantment..,

Saw the biggest rainbow trout ever pulled from the San Juan River just below Navajo Dam years ago.

Have always wanted to float the Chama from El Vado down to Abiquiu.

Will never forget gassing up in Coyote just outside the Jemez Mountains, and helping a very young boy carry a Hefty bag full of soaking wet laundry across the road to his house from a washer behind the gas station.

Chaco Canyon at sunset

Rutgers is going to crush us. They have athletic guys all over and a creative offense.
Not sure how I got to scrolling in a week 4 other games thread but, being that it’s that time of year, I’d like to nominate this for

WR FOOTBALL POST OF THE YEAR

It’s pretty impressive to identify the one team that did not beat the pants off of NU in a post identifying them as a team that definitely will. Congrats.

(Good call on Mich in the same thread, but, well…)

Not sure how I got to scrolling in a week 4 other games thread but, being that it’s that time of year, I’d like to nominate this for

It’s pretty impressive to identify the one team that did not beat the pants off of NU in a post identifying them as a team that definitely will. Congrats.

Aw.... come on. It wasn't such an outlandish post at the time. Rutgers had just played MSU and Michigan really tough. They dominated the playoff-bound Michigan team in the second half of that game.

I've posted way dumber stuff on here.

If TheC were in the Army, they could have used him as a forward observer to sniff for nerve agent.

Last edited:
hey maybe Hank can come back as the HC!

hey maybe Hank can come back as the HC!
Willy, please don't torment Corbi at this time, he's obviously in a very delicate state from trying to keep the trash from storming the gates of the kingdom. Wait until after the holidays when there's less stress.

Last edited:
Jeff Buckley’s “hallelujah” was not actually a cover of the Leonard Cohen song. Buckley was covering John Cale’s cover of “hallelujah” — except that Cale’s had added verses, with Cohen’s approval — which was recorded for a Cohen tribute album in 1991, put out by a French music magazine. Not many copies of that tribute were distributed, but one landed at a woman’s house in Manhattan, where Buckley was house-sitting when he heard the song. He recorded it for 1994’s Grace, which nobody really heard until he died in 1997, drowning in the Mississippi River.

Go Cats.

One of best shows I ever went to was seeing Buckley at Uncommon Ground in Wrigleyville during crazy snowstorm.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT