ADVERTISEMENT

Ouch! Of all places...

Katatonic

Oct 23, 2004

There is no exact analogy to explain what has been proposed — and what has caused unprecedented turmoil — in European soccer the past two days. But for those more literate in insular American sports than trans-global affairs, consider this scenario: Duke, Kansas, UCLA and a dozen other pillars of college basketball decide they are tired of participating in the NCAA tournament with smaller programs.

These pedigreed programs drive business; fans want to watch them, not Utah State and Western Kentucky. So while they’ll consent to — and benefit from — continuing to play in tradition-rich conferences every weekend, they will form their own super league, play one another at home and on the road throughout the season, secure national TV slots and crown one of their select members as champions.

Let the mid-majors and Northwesterns have their one shining moments. The blue bloods don’t need them. It’s time for something bigger, better and, let’s not fool ourselves, more profitable.

• Wow
Reactions: EagerFan

There is no exact analogy to explain what has been proposed — and what has caused unprecedented turmoil — in European soccer the past two days. But for those more literate in insular American sports than trans-global affairs, consider this scenario: Duke, Kansas, UCLA and a dozen other pillars of college basketball decide they are tired of participating in the NCAA tournament with smaller programs.

These pedigreed programs drive business; fans want to watch them, not Utah State and Western Kentucky. So while they’ll consent to — and benefit from — continuing to play in tradition-rich conferences every weekend, they will form their own super league, play one another at home and on the road throughout the season, secure national TV slots and crown one of their select members as champions.

Let the mid-majors and Northwesterns have their one shining moments. The blue bloods don’t need them. It’s time for something bigger, better and, let’s not fool ourselves, more profitable.
In college basketball it is the Utah State's and Western Kentucky's that give meaning to the endearing term March Madness. I'm guessing everyone would lose $$$ if you took the small school-mid major upset of a top seed out of the equation.

As for college football, the current system is not that far of a stretch from what's currently evolving in Europe. By-and-large the same top teams get the best post season exposure/payoffs and chance to win it all. Their coaches get paid the most, their players have the most NIL $$$ to gain and their schools rake in a disproportionate share of the TV/merchandise/ticket revenues. Which in turn drive booster $$$ support. All of which keeps the repeat cycle churning.

GOUNUII

Reactions: rwhitney014
I never watch those schools....I watch the Cats and the Ramblers and maybe a game that effects them....I didnt watch Duke or Kentucky once this year...screw em.

Reactions: cat inkansas
ADVERTISEMENT