ADVERTISEMENT

Our 2018 Illinois Recruiting is Exploding

Hungry Jack

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2008
the cotton fields and bus shelters
www.cbc.ca
Not literally, mind you. That would be messy. It only happened in Spinal Tap.

But there is a rumor afoot about another high profile Illinois recruit about to commit. We are in the process of cleaning up in state. Then there is the putative commitment from a top tier lineman who will announce next week.

If we can pry a certain defensive back from Justin Jackson's high school, I think we will be able to put a huge purple bow on our Illinois recruiting class.

BTW, the pumpkinheads have 92 offers out for 2018. They have zero commits.

This is also supposed to be a good year in Illinois for hs talent. This is a very very good sign for fitz and the cats.

This is the follow on benefit of both Football's success last year, exciting season, great QB and successful bowl game, and then the good PR from Basketball reinforcing the message of athletic success.

Very good sign this year and next years crops of recruits

This is the follow on benefit of both Football's success last year, exciting season, great QB and successful bowl game, and then the good PR from Basketball reinforcing the message of athletic success.

Very good sign this year and next years crops of recruits

Not to mention the emerging Taj Fitz......

Not to mention the emerging Taj Fitz......
I think a lot of the recruiting success is due to the stability of the program and how players and recruits are treated. You don't see us having more commits than roster spots, then all of a sudden the exact amount players mysteriously leave the program to make way for the new recruits. OSU seems to always get lucky that way. There are many reasons to pick NU. And each year we have more and more reasons. The biggest however is the Coaches, Staff, and our President and Ad.

Do you think Larkin will be better than Moten ?

Moten is more athletic but I think Larkin is the more instinctive RB. The production Larkin generated in HS playing in one of the best HS conferences in the country is really remarkable. In the end I think both will be very good at NU.

Last edited:
Moten is more athletic but I think Larkin is the more instinctive RB. The production Larkin generated in HS playing in one of the best HS conferences in the country is really remarkable. In the end I think will be very good at NU.
Seems to me if Catsdad keep insisting that Larkin is top notch, that could be pretty good inside info. His son is the guy who is trying to tackle him in practice. I think they talk.

Seems to me if Catsdad keep insisting that Larkin is top notch, that could be pretty good inside info. His son is the guy who is trying to tackle him in practice. I think they talk.
Moten and Larkin are different backs who will compliment eachother. We have a very talented backfield. I have watched Jeremy since 8th grade. He is special. Larkin was the best High School player in Ohio in 2016. Deceptively Fast. Amazing vision. Great feet and change of direction. Very good at “stop and go.” He is very durable and almost never goes down on first hit. He has very soft hands and catches everything. And he is as tough as anyone I have seen.. If you knew Jeremy and the type of young man he is , you can't help but like him. He is a hardworking team oriented All American talent. I will post a twitter video an hope you all can see it. Jeremy is #28 at end of video.
https://twitter.com/NUFBFamily/status/838889616811802624

Last edited:

He is very hard to get a hit on and almost never goes down on first contact.

I am not sure there will be another with JJ's preternatural feet and change of direction skills, but I thought Larkin had exceptional feet in his own right. I also thought he might be a half step faster than JJ, but that's a WAG based on 8 minutes of tape. But it sure looks like we won't see much of a drop off when JJ moves on.

Larkin sounds a like like JJTBC. Go Cats!
And the film suggests it but with a bit more speed. Can't wait for him to get his turn(s) with the ball this year and the ones to follow. All we need is OL persistence and improvement.

And the film suggests it but with a bit more speed. Can't wait for him to get his turn(s) with the ball this year and the ones to follow. All we need is OL persistence and improvement.
Perhaps faster but slippery in a different way.

Moten and Larkin are different backs who will compliment eachother. We have a very talented backfield. I have watched Jeremy since 8th grade. He is special. Larkin was the best High School player in Ohio in 2016. Deceptively Fast. Amazing vision. Great feet and change of direction. Very good at “stop and go.” He is very durable and almost never goes down on first hit. He has very soft hands and catches everything. And he is as tough as anyone I have seen.. If you knew Jeremy and the type of young man he is , you can't help but like him. He is a hardworking team oriented All American talent. I will post a twitter video an hope you all can see it. Jeremy is #28 at end of video.

Wow that was impressive balance and quickness in that video. He's going to be fun to watch in the coming years.

Reactions: CatsDad

Jeremy looks dam good!

I am not sure there will be another with JJ's preternatural feet and change of direction skills, but I thought Larkin had exceptional feet in his own right. I also thought he might be a half step faster than JJ, but that's a WAG based on 8 minutes of tape. But it sure looks like we won't see much of a drop off when JJ moves on.
I would guess there will be. Maybe not as good, but before JJ we had Sutton and he also was pretty good. It tends to be a type of back we are looking for with the more spread offense we have and the likely hood is we will find another. Maybe not as prolific as JJ but hopefully they will not need to be as our O has greater diversification.

Not literally, mind you. That would be messy. It only happened in Spinal Tap.

But there is a rumor afoot about another high profile Illinois recruit about to commit. We are in the process of cleaning up in state. Then there is the putative commitment from a top tier lineman who will announce next week.

If we can pry a certain defensive back from Justin Jackson's high school, I think we will be able to put a huge purple bow on our Illinois recruiting class.

BTW, the pumpkinheads have 92 offers out for 2018. They have zero commits.
Out of curiosity, are you able to say which players you are referring to here? Excited about this recruiting class!

This is also supposed to be a good year in Illinois for hs talent. This is a very very good sign for fitz and the cats.
I understand this is a good year for talent. However of our commits only one was offered by Lovie. Does this mean that they feel there is better talent available out of state or that they felt they wouldn't be competitive for those NU commits?

It means that Lovie is failing to offer some really good kids that are right under his nose.

I understand this is a good year for talent. However of our commits only one was offered by Lovie. Does this mean that they feel there is better talent available out of state or that they felt they wouldn't be competitive for those NU commits?
Let me ask a question - why do u care? Do somehow believe that no kid without an Illinois offer is worthy of an nu offer?

Let me ask a question - why do u care? Do somehow believe that no kid without an Illinois offer is worthy of an nu offer?
Not at all. Just thought that on his first full recruiting cycle he would hit the Chicago area pretty hard as that is where he is most identified.

Good observation. Both schools offered O'Rourke and Newsome--two very good prospects. I thought Patterson was another but I'm not in position to check that.

Illinois makes a lot of offers but typically does not overlap with NU much. I don't think we have recruited the same type of OL that Illinois prefers, but I am a bit surprised that Lovie did not pursue Blake, a 300 lb hoss (he loses weight for wrestling).

It was rhe IL academic restrictions

Newsome pretty much caps the in-state class for 2018. Maybe a dark horse will emerge, or Jones will reconsider at some point, but I love this group as it stands. Would have been great to get Patterson agree to a position switch but that was a real long shot.

By my count we only offered nine kids from Illinois. Jones was in love with Notre Dame, the linebacker was in love with Wisconsin , We already have a quarterback and Patterson did not want to switch positions, and we got the other six. I sure as hell don't think anyone should be upset with our results in Illinois. I am extremely happy. If Jones ever changes his mind and switches to northwesternI will be delirious

Reactions: seavue617
By my count we only offered nine kids from Illinois. Jones was in love with Notre Dame, the linebacker was in love with Wisconsin , We already have a quarterback and Patterson did not want to switch positions, and we got the other six. I sure as hell don't think anyone should be upset with our results in Illinois. I am extremely happy. If Jones ever changes his mind and switches to northwesternI will be delirious

You will be delirious?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT