ADVERTISEMENT

Our Basketball Fans -- WTH?

Hungry Jack

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2008
the cotton fields and bus shelters
www.cbc.ca
I know this is well-tread ground, but I experienced the apathy firsthand last night.

I had the distinct pleasure of joining Purple Pile Driver and Uber in some very choice seats at mid-court 3 rows up. The view--and the company--could not have been better (unless Salma Hayek had been there with me, serving me peeled grapes).

It was a great game to watch as a Cat fan, for obvious reasons. But attendance was sparse and the fan noise muted. This was good because PPD kept giving the zebra an earful about a host of non-calls throughout the game. That was good entertainment.

And when things got tight in the second half, us three old guys, all at least 50-something with aging joints, were the ones standing and yelling. Everyone else around us below the Wilson club sat on their collective arse. This included a guy in front of me with whom I graduated. He sat there with his mousy wife (also an NU grad). They barely made a sound. I always thought the guy was kind of a tool. And last night made me remember why.

Do most of our fans hang out in the west lot and smoke cannabis before each game? Did some of the fans get lost on their way to the opera and end up WRA? Where's the energy? Where's the love?

I know this is well-tread ground, but I experienced the apathy firsthand last night.

I had the distinct pleasure of joining Purple Pile Driver and Uber in some very choice seats at mid-court 3 rows up. The view--and the company--could not have been better (unless Salma Hayek had been there with me, serving me peeled grapes).

It was a great game to watch as a Cat fan, for obvious reasons. But attendance was sparse and the fan noise muted. This was good because PPD kept giving the zebra an earful about a host of non-calls throughout the game. That was good entertainment.

And when things got tight in the second half, us three old guys, all at least 50-something with aging joints, were the ones standing and yelling. Everyone else around us below the Wilson club sat on their collective arse. This included a guy in front of me with whom I graduated. He sat there with his mousy wife (also an NU grad). They barely made a sound. I always thought the guy was kind of a tool. And last night made me remember why.

Do most of our fans hang out in the west lot and smoke cannabis before each game? Did some of the fans get lost on their way to the opera and end up WRA? Where's the energy? Where's the love?
I thought I might get evicted because I was the only one you could hear. Those Wilson club seats are sweet though. Amazing how many skip games or don’t give the seats away after they already paid the donation. As you know, the three of us all strapped on the feedback which is a prerequisite for sitting in those seats. The staff are exceeding polite and helpful. Felt out of place getting on the Zebras.

I thought I might get evicted because I was the only one you could hear. Those Wilson club seats are sweet though. Amazing how many skip games or don’t give the seats away after they already paid the donation. As you know, the three of us all strapped on the feedbag which is a prerequisite for sitting in those seats. The staff are exceeding polite and helpful. Felt out of place getting on the Zebras.
I ate enough for three last night. They probably don't want me back.

I know those guys heard you. I don't think you noticed the guy seated to my left. He was a Providence fan. He was noticeably "moved" by your critique of the officiating. And then Uber bellowed "You''re a punk!" when Maliek White got T'ed up and shown the permanent bench, which made him retort "He's not a punk!" LOL.

Uber. He's so calm and mild-mannered...until he decides to yell at some 18 year-olds.

I ate enough for three last night. They probably don't want me back.

I know those guys heard you. I don't think you noticed the guy seated to my left. He was a Providence fan. He was noticeably "moved" by your critique of the officiating. And then Uber bellowed "You''re a punk!" when Maliek White got T'ed up and shown the permanent bench, which made him retort "He's not a punk!" LOL.

Uber. He's so calm and mild-mannered...until he decides to yell at some 18 year-olds.
I know I stick out like a sore thumb in the Wilson Club, but wtf with a Providence fan sitting right behind Mr. Cat in the good seats?

One of the more interesting things is the Chick-Fil-A promotion that keeps things hoppin' in the student section near the end of the game.

It's a shame they need to buy the enthusiasm, but I'll take what I can get in the Welsh Ryan morgue.

One of the more interesting things is the Chick-Fil-A promotion that keeps things hoppin' in the student section near the end of the game.

It's a shame they need to buy the enthusiasm, but I'll take what I can get in the Welsh Ryan morgue.
One of my favorite basketball experiences ever involves the Michael Jenkins game against Iowa. Not only did his shot improbably win the game, but it also gave NU 75 points, which was the threshold (later lowered to 60, because we were bad at offense) to get a free shake from Steak n Shake. To be honest, I'm still not sure what my friends and I were more excited about as we rushed the court before cramming 10 people into my Ford Contour and heading off to claim our winnings.

One of my favorite basketball experiences ever involves the Michael Jenkins game against Iowa. Not only did his shot improbably win the game, but it also gave NU 75 points, which was the threshold (later lowered to 60, because we were bad at offense) to get a free shake from Steak n Shake. To be honest, I'm still not sure what my friends and I were more excited about as we rushed the court before cramming 10 people into my Ford Contour and heading off to claim our winnings.

That Steak n Shake promotion was legendary. I think we got it 2, maybe 3 times that season? Then it was discontinued, not surprisingly.

As for the OP, a Wednesday 8pm game when it's 20 degrees outside and we just loss to Merrimack is not exactly a recipe for a good crowd. More broadly speaking, the crowds at new WRA have been noticeably been less raucous than they were at old WRA. For years we railed on the "purple-seaters" for their lack of enthusiasm, but maybe there's something about having a comfortable seat and wanting to stay in it.

That Steak n Shake promotion was legendary. I think we got it 2, maybe 3 times that season? Then it was discontinued, not surprisingly.

As for the OP, a Wednesday 8pm game when it's 20 degrees outside and we just loss to Merrimack is not exactly a recipe for a good crowd. More broadly speaking, the crowds at new WRA have been noticeably been less raucous than they were at old WRA. For years we railed on the "purple-seaters" for their lack of enthusiasm, but maybe there's something about having a comfortable seat and wanting to stay in it.
Twice that year, once for Iowa and once at the lowered 60-point threshold against Michigan. Nothing better than free food for a college student.

I think the lack of enthusiasm stems from the type of fan who is able to pay anywhere between $1,500 and $12,500 for a donation on top of the $400-$1,800 ticket price vs the type of the fan who is willing to pay $350 for season tickets or $40-$85 for single game and has been kicked to the top of the arena. NU did this to themselves in pursuit of the almighty dollar and shouldn't be surprised that this is the result.

Twice that year, once for Iowa and once at the lowered 60-point threshold against Michigan. Nothing better than free food for a college student.

I think the lack of enthusiasm stems from the type of fan who is able to pay anywhere between $1,500 and $12,500 for a donation on top of the $400-$1,800 ticket price vs the type of the fan who is willing to pay $350 for season tickets or $40-$85 for single game and has been kicked to the top of the arena. NU did this to themselves in pursuit of the almighty dollar and shouldn't be surprised that this is the result.
I think the lack of enthusiasm is because we haven't had a team worth a damn in the new WR.

Have you ever been in a ballpark with a 12 hits/dozen Krispy Kreme promotion? It’s basically the best time to be a fan, in any arena, ever. Except when the guy who makes the final out of the 9th gets viciously booed.

What’s our threshold with Chick Fil A? And where’s the nearest one? (And I hope there’s not that garbage ... scores xx *and wins* clause...)

It’s been 25 years, but I remember fondly Jud “The Pizza Man” Buechler.

So

Sounds like a the plan they used for parking passes for football. Dump the long time supporters, in favor of those with big(er) bucks.

Have you ever been in a ballpark with a 12 hits/dozen Krispy Kreme promotion? It’s basically the best time to be a fan, in any arena, ever. Except when the guy who makes the final out of the 9th gets viciously booed.

What’s our threshold with Chick Fil A? And where’s the nearest one? (And I hope there’s not that garbage ... scores xx *and wins* clause...)

Didn't a student sink a half court shot Wednesday? Think they said he "won" $12. Can that be correct?

The promo is free chick-fil-a sandwich for students if the opponent misses 8 free throws. Providence had 7 misses and sent a guy to the line with a minute to go. With the students going nuts, he calmly sank both free throws. Maybe next time...

The promo is free chick-fil-a sandwich for students if the opponent misses 8 free throws. Providence had 7 misses and sent a guy to the line with a minute to go. With the students going nuts, he calmly sank both free throws. Maybe next time...

???? There's not even a Chick-Fil-A in Evanston. Does the one by Old Orchard deliver lol?

The Utah Jazz offers free Chick-Fil-A if an opposing player misses two straight free throws in the fourth quarter. It can generate quite a ruckus on that second free throw attempt if the guy misses his first.

Reactions: NUCat320
Remembering back to the DePaul game and the 25-0 run last year and the arena was plenty loud. It's all about putting a good product out there. And students aren't "priced out" of the arena. They get in free and there were a lot less of them than paying customers Wednesday night. Yeah season tickets cost a little more these days (with the donation which also counts for football parking) but what does it cost to go to a Bulls game? NU basketball is still a good bargain IF THE TEAM IS COMPETITIVE. Hoping Wednesday night was a sign of things to come!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT