ADVERTISEMENT

Our new PG commits

Excellent.

Let's hope it works out like BMac after losing St(z)ima.

From Dennys:
One of the toughest kids seen all weekend was Greer. While Jaiden DeLaire gets most of the attention on his travel team, Greer makes a ton of winning plays. He has good size, can play either guard spot, and finds a way to be productive. Greer isn't the most athletic kid, but he will attack the rim and finish, and then also can hit shots. Also he is an elite students, and schools from all over are beginning to take notice of a kid who reminds some of former Notre Dame guard Matt Farrell at the same stage.

https://247sports.com/Article/Colle...eekend-of-spring-evaluation-period--117881131

Last edited:
Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
We're happy about this today....because...well.

I think in six or seven months we're going to be ecstatic.

From the tape he looks to be a tough defender, happy to take a charge. He's an excellent shooter...super fast release...and converts from distance at a high conversion rate. And he has a handle. Not much tape of him passing but his coach says he's a distributor.

I think this is a really good fit.

Congrats to the Greer family.

Reactions: NUCat320
50% three point shooter in AAU and at NMH over last year, 60/120. Was able to create space in the lane to get up jumpers (no tear drops). Looks like he uses the rim well to create space (like the Loyola kids) against better athletes when he gets to the glass. Decent first step quickness.

Last edited:
I’m happy.

He's not Lathon, but we needed someone who can play decent minutes at lead guard next year or we were gonna be in trouble. I don't have high expectations this year and expect him to struggle.

BUT I think if we got him when he was planning on graduating, we would be very happy.

His stock was on the rise and I think he was about to see some bigger offers. This was a necessary move for next year but also a guy they really like and has the potential to be our starting PG for years to come.

Time will tell. Let's wait and see.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I have to give Collins and his staff credit for having this already in pipeline and making it happen so quickly after Lathon's dismissal. Frankly, I'm not expecting miracles from a 6-0, 170-pound kid who should be going into his senior year in high school vs. Big Ten quality athletes. But he's another option, and NU didn't have many to start with.

Reactions: Medill90
We're happy about this today....because...well.

I think in six or seven months we're going to be ecstatic.

From the tape he looks to be a tough defender, happy to take a charge. He's an excellent shooter...super fast release...and converts from distance at a high conversion rate. And he has a handle. Not much tape of him passing but his coach says he's a distributor.

I think this is a really good fit.

Congrats to the Greer family.

I agree. I think this kid will surprise at NU. Like him a lot.

I have to give Collins and his staff credit for having this already in pipeline and making it happen so quickly after Lathon's dismissal. Frankly, I'm not expecting miracles from a 6-0, 170-pound kid who should be going into his senior year in high school vs. Big Ten quality athletes. But he's another option, and NU didn't have many to start with.
But isn't he listed at 6'3" 185? With the rest of the team being as strong as it look, really just needed someone to bring up and distribute and play some D and hopefully he can do that

Again, his presence is not going to scare away other potential PGs unless he does well so at this point, hard to lose. Nice find at this late date.

But isn't he listed at 6'3" 185? With the rest of the team being as strong as it look, really just needed someone to bring up and distribute and play some D and hopefully he can do that

Again, his presence is not going to scare away other potential PGs unless he does well so at this point, hard to lose. Nice find at this late date.

A year ago he was 6 2" 185 per his high school

Most recent film I could find .... go to the 1:00 minute mark.

So where is Idaho getting 6 ft 170?
https://247sports.com/Player/Ryan-Greer-46041337

Other sites have him listed anywhere from 6-2, 175 to 6-3, 185. One thing I've learned over the years is that program sizes are usually inflated. But the point is, he's a young kid, not particularly big, who is going to have to jump into the Big Ten right away, so my expectations are very limited. I'm glad he's coming, as I said, he gives NU another option, but I'm not expecting a huge immediate impact.

PS--He averaged 12.8 points, 4.5 assists and 7.2 rebounds last year at Prep School, while shooting 50 percent from the floor.

Last edited:
But the point is, he's a young kid, not particularly big, who is going to have to jump into the Big Ten right away, so my expectations are very limited. I'm glad he's coming, as I said, he gives NU another option, but I'm not expecting a huge immediate impact.
Agree. But all he has to do it distribute the ball. NU has plenty of scoring, but a dearth of ball handling. Now it is in much better shape.

Wonder if they would take another guard if one comes available for this season. Bey would also be nice fill out the roster. Thoughts?

Agree. But all he has to do it distribute the ball. NU has plenty of scoring, but a dearth of ball handling. Now it is in much better shape.
I'd put the over-under in minutes per game for any average Big Ten freshman at 10. And this is a young man who should be entering his senior year in high school. So again, glad he's coming, but I think people may be getting ahead of themselves if they think he's going to come in and be a starting, Big Ten-quality PG who averages 25 minutes a game right away.

PS--And yes, I'd still take Bey in a heart beat if he wanted to come. You can never have too many good players -- especially in a program with the bizarro injury/departure history of NU.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I'd put the over-under in minutes per game for any average Big Ten freshman at 10. And this is a young man who should be entering his senior year in high school. So again, glad he's coming, but I think people may be getting ahead of themselves if they think he's going to come in and be a starting, Big Ten-quality PG who averages 25 minutes a game right away.
BMac averaged 33 mpg his freshman year.

Sobo averaged 35.

Michael Thompson averaged 36.

I think Greer will average more than 10.

Sobo averaged 35.

We'll see. I hope he's a big surprise, a kid who is physically and mentally tough enough to step up and lead a Big Ten team as a 17-year-old -- production like BMac and MJ would be great.

Sobo averaged 35.

I think Greer’s reclassification was more to bring in AN option at Lead Guard rather than THE option at Lead Guard, as seemed to be the case with Lathon. Would still fully expect a “by committee” approach, but we were woefully short of qualified candidates before his commitment and reclassification.

I think Greer’s reclassification was more to bring in AN option at Lead Guard rather than THE option at Lead Guard, as seemed to be the case with Lathon. Would still fully expect a “by committee” approach, but we were woefully short of qualified candidates before his commitment and reclassification.

I think that's a good take. The team is pretty stacked with scoring options....Law, Taylor, Turner, Falzon and Pardon....if Greer can run the offense and distribute without a lot of turnovers he can stay on the floor....he doesn't have to score. With that said, wide open and with his shot, he's taking it in the last third of the shot clock.

I will note that from the little amount of film that's out there, while not the longest, the kid has good thickness and strength....when he takes it to the hoop he waits for longer defenders to sort of bounce of him, and then he has a nice, quick release.

Curious about his birth year and month. His body is pretty developed....wouldn't surprise me if he was older.

Wow well that happened quickly. Have to suspect this could have already been in motion before this, but his decision was accelerated / became much more clear when the PG spot became wide open?

I am very excited to have him to step in, but I just hope he didn't compromise his HS studies or degree or whatever else to make this happen on our behalf. Trust that he and his parents were smart enough to make the decision that was best for him! And given that, welcome on board Ryan!! We're awfully glad to have you.

And nice job by CC / staff with some quick troubleshooting here.

(PS GCG's post above expresses any other points I would make)

Reactions: LansingCat

PS--And yes, I'd still take Bey in a heart beat if he wanted to come. You can never have too many good players -- especially in a program with the bizarro injury/departure history of NU.

This. A four star guard starting and playing heavy minutes is a rarity. An unweight frosh...I will bet money he doesn’t avg 30+ mpg and hits the proverbial wall early in the B1G season.

I also like Bey, but we need another PG, preferably grad transfer, IMHO.

I think that's a good take. The team is pretty stacked with scoring options....Law, Taylor, Turner, Falzon and Pardon....if Greer can run the offense and distribute without a lot of turnovers he can stay on the floor....he doesn't have to score. With that said, wide open and with his shot, he's taking it in the last third of the shot clock.

I will note that from the little amount of film that's out there, while not the longest, the kid has good thickness and strength....when he takes it to the hoop he waits for longer defenders to sort of bounce of him, and then he has a nice, quick release.

Curious about his birth year and month. His body is pretty developed....wouldn't surprise me if he was older.

Just read on another board that he went to grade school an extra year so that he could develop his game for high school.

So, NU is getting a a typical 18 year old freshman if what I read is accurate.

This. A four star guard starting and playing heavy minutes is a rarity. An unweight frosh...I will bet money he doesn’t avg 30+ mpg and hits the proverbial wall early in the B1G season.

He lived away from home last year....maybe the freshman wall won't be so bad.

Well, there's been no signals that Bey and NU are in talks. He just took an unofficial visit to Wake Forest. I'm not especially optimistic about this.

Would be nice to get any grad transfer at this point, but Collins said he's not going to add just to add, so I'd expect only a select few names to be options, none of which NU is particularly linked to.

https://247sports.com/Player/Ryan-Greer-46041337

Other sites have him listed anywhere from 6-2, 175 to 6-3, 185. One thing I've learned over the years is that program sizes are usually inflated. But the point is, he's a young kid, not particularly big, who is going to have to jump into the Big Ten right away, so my expectations are very limited. I'm glad he's coming, as I said, he gives NU another option, but I'm not expecting a huge immediate impact.

PS--He averaged 12.8 points, 4.5 assists and 7.2 rebounds last year at Prep School, while shooting 50 percent from the floor.
And he is likely still growing so by the time he gets here those sizes will likely be legit

Easy there Mr Negativity can’t even appreciate something good for one sentence before ripping on it?

I’m certainly not asking for or expecting 30+ minutes from him... maybe he starts and gives us 15-20 and then we split the rest of “PG” offensive possessions via rotation across multiple folks - Taylor, Ash, Law, maybe someone else.

The potentially crucial aspect here though (if it works out well!) is that now we no longer forced for someone to play out of position as a primary ball handler for an entire season, he can take half the load and we can split it across the rest so that the other are just playing spot minutes at point. Which has much less disruption to roles and player development.

Easy there Mr Negativity can’t even appreciate something good for one sentence before ripping on it?

I’m certainly not asking for or expecting 30+ minutes from him... maybe he starts and gives us 15-20 and then we split the rest of “PG” offensive possessions via rotation across multiple folks - Taylor, Ash, Law, maybe someone else.

The potentially crucial aspect here though (if it works out well!) is that now we no longer forced for someone to play out of position as a primary ball handler for an entire season, he can take half the load and we can split it across the rest so that the other are just playing spot minutes at point. Which has much less disruption to roles and player development.

All good points. We should be able to find at least 25-30 average to good minutes from Greer and Ash. I honestly think Ash gets a bad rap on this board because of Wrassler’s campaign. While this is his fourth year, it’s his first real chance to get minutes at point Hurd and to try for a leadership role. He can be a factor on this team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT