ADVERTISEMENT

Overtime penalty - MSU/UNL

cats1967

Oct 3, 2004
So MSU intercepted a Nebraska pass in overtime, first possession. They did not score on the runback so that ended Nebraska’s possession and MSU got their possession on the 25. However, there had been a flag on Nebraska during the runback which got me wondering - what if that penalty had been on MSU, say, an illegal block. How would that be assessed? Usually it is 10 yards from the spot of the foul but how could that be done in this situation? Would it be enforced on MSU’s possession so they would start from the 35 instead of the 25? I wouldn’t think it could just be ignored otherwise the intercepting team would effectively be free to foul during the runback. Unusual situation but I can’t imagine it has not happened sometime.

So MSU intercepted a Nebraska pass in overtime, first possession. They did not score on the runback so that ended Nebraska’s possession and MSU got their possession on the 25. However, there had been a flag on Nebraska during the runback which got me wondering - what if that penalty had been on MSU, say, an illegal block. How would that be assessed? Usually it is 10 yards from the spot of the foul but how could that be done in this situation? Would it be enforced on MSU’s possession so they would start from the 35 instead of the 25? I wouldn’t think it could just be ignored otherwise the intercepting team would effectively be free to foul during the runback. Unusual situation but I can’t imagine it has not happened sometime.
I would think the penalty would simply be to wipe out any score on the return. The disincentive to foul during the runback would be awareness that any TD would be disallowed.

Reactions: timbfischer
I would think the penalty would simply be to wipe out any score on the return. The disincentive to foul during the runback would be awareness that any TD would be disallowed.
I think that's right. Similarly, if there is a penalty on the last play of the first half, it wouldn't be assessed on the next kickoff. It could, in theory, be enforced on that last play, but with no real consequence. The end of an overtime try is similar I assumed.

I think that's right. Similarly, if there is a penalty on the last play of the first half, it wouldn't be assessed on the next kickoff. It could, in theory, be enforced on that last play, but with no real consequence. The end of an overtime try is similar I assumed.
If the penalty is on the last play of a half and is on the defense, then an extra (non-timed) play is given.

My question would be what happens if the penalty had been on Nebraska on the runback of the interception, such as face mask or late hit?

If the penalty is on the last play of a half and is on the defense, then an extra (non-timed) play is given.

My question would be what happens if the penalty had been on Nebraska on the runback of the interception, such as face mask or late hit?
I thought the penalty actually was on Nebraska during the runback. I think they got Martinez for diving at somebody's knees during the runback. It ended up basically getting wiped out. Though I suppose if the MSU ballcarrier had fumbled on the return and Nebraska picked it up and ran it the other way for a TD, they could have enforced the penalty. Now, that would have been something!

So stop the runner by any means necessary like what George Costanza would do in a fight, “Pull hair, Poke eyes, Groin stuff. Whatever I gotta do. “

I was watching the game with a few guys and we had a discussion around something similar, but a bit different. Say MSU made the interception and then on the runback they fumbled and Nebraska recovered it. Does Nebraska get a first down and a chance to score from wherever they recover it or do they lose their possession? My guess is that they would get a chance to score with a first down from the spot of recovery, but not sure of the exact ruling.

>>My question would be what happens if the penalty had been on Nebraska on the runback of the interception, such as face mask or late hit?<<

A “dead ball” (after the play) penalty would have been enforced on the succeeding MSU possession. A 15 yd penalty would have been enforced half the distance, giving MSU 1st&20 from the Nebraska 12.

A “live ball” (during the play) would have no bearing on the succeeding play.

I was watching the game with a few guys and we had a discussion around something similar, but a bit different. Say MSU made the interception and then on the runback they fumbled and Nebraska recovered it. Does Nebraska get a first down and a chance to score from wherever they recover it or do they lose their possession? My guess is that they would get a chance to score with a first down from the spot of recovery, but not sure of the exact ruling.
My GUESS for this one is that Nebraska’s possession ended the moment MSU intercepted. The moment Nebraska recovered the hypothetical fumble and themselves did not score during the same play, the play is over.

Since Nebraska’s original OT possession had already been over, and neither team scored during the play, MSU takes possession for their “normal” OT series from the 25.

Reactions: Jonny2TheP and TheC
My GUESS for this one is that Nebraska’s possession ended the moment MSU intercepted. The moment Nebraska recovered the hypothetical fumble and themselves did not score during the same play, the play is over.

Since Nebraska’s original OT possession had already been over, and neither team scored during the play, MSU takes possession for their “normal” OT series from the 25.
My GUESS is that your GUESS is correct.

>>My question would be what happens if the penalty had been on Nebraska on the runback of the interception, such as face mask or late hit?<<

A “dead ball” (after the play) penalty would have been enforced on the succeeding MSU possession. A 15 yd penalty would have been enforced half the distance, giving MSU 1st&20 from the Nebraska 12.

A “live ball” (during the play) would have no bearing on the succeeding play.
Thanks for your answer. I agree with you on the dead ball penalty but still question what would happen for a live ball penalty--could they grab a face mask or horse collar tackle to illegally bring down the interceptor?

The penalty on the play was for an illegal block against Michigan State, which would have negated the play if there was a touchdown.

Thanks for your answer. I agree with you on the dead ball penalty but still question what would happen for a live ball penalty--could they grab a face mask or horse collar tackle to illegally bring down the interceptor?

The penalty on the play was for an illegal block against Michigan State, which would have negated the play if there was a touchdown.
It was an illegal hit below the waist on Nebraska. Sometimes the team defending the interception return get caught doing that when they take on a blocker, usually out of inexperience.

>>>still question what would happen for a live ball penalty--could they grab a face mask or horse collar tackle to illegally bring down the interceptor?<<<

The rule book makes an exception in live ball situations for Personal Fouls that are deemed “Flagrant” which gives the official latitude to determine that a foul went beyond the scope of the game (horsecollar tackle, for instance) and moved into the realm of jeopardizing the safety of another player. I suppose in your facemask example if the offending player tried not to tackle the player, but instead held up the person with the ball and tried to turn the helmet (and head) 360 degrees that an official would deem that “flagrant”. But the penalty would still be treated as the dead ball enforcement (Team B ball after the half the distance penalty moved the ball from the 25 to the 12).

The only extreme example I can think of where declaring the ovvertime game “over” and awarding a score that didn’t take place would be someone coming off the bench to tackle a player clearly about to score following the turnover.

Some interesting scenarios here. The original one I raised was simply - first OT possession, interception, no score on the runback, foul by intercepting team during the runback. Is a penalty assessed or does the next possession start from the 25 as normal? The comparison to the end of the half may be the right one although in this situation play continues with a change of possession.
And the other side of the question is - same situation but the foul is on the team that had been on offense. Does the intercepting team get the benefit of the penalty? Or does the next possession begin at the 25 regardless?

In both scenarios you describe (assuming these are penalties during the play following the change in possession - fumble recovery/interception - by Team B) the Team A offensive portion of the Overtime period is over and Team B takes over at the 25. There is no yardage enforcement of a post-turnover live ball foul in either direction.

In both scenarios you describe (assuming these are penalties during the play following the change in possession - fumble recovery/interception - by Team B) the Team A offensive portion of the Overtime period is over and Team B takes over at the 25. There is no yardage enforcement of a post-turnover live ball foul in either direction.
Just to continue beating a dead horse, dillonpgp - and others - is correct. I checked with one of the referees associations. The relevant rule for anyone who cares:

Rule 3, Section 1, Article 3 covers extra periods.

Paragraph g, sub paragraph 1 deals with fouls following a change of possession. The other sub paragraphs deal with related situations.

g. after a change of team possession (A.R. 3-1-3-XI-XIII):
  1. Penalties against either team are declined by rule in extra periods. (Exceptions: Penalties for flagrant personal fouls, unsportsmanlike conduct fouls, dead-ball personal fouls and live-ball fouls treated as dead-ball fouls are enforced on the succeeding play.)
2. A score by a team committing a foul during the down is canceled. (Exception: Live-ball foul treated as a dead-ball foul.)
  1. If both teams foul during the down and Team B had not fouled before the change of possession, the fouls cancel and the down is not repeated. (Exceptions: Penalties for flagrant personal fouls, unsportsmanlike conduct fouls, dead-ball personal fouls and live-ball fouls treated as dead-ball fouls are enforced on the succeeding play.)
So, as you suggest, if it is a “run of the mill” type foul, IBB, IBW, FMM, OH, and there is nothing flagrant about it, it is declined by rule [ignored].

Reactions: TheC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT