ADVERTISEMENT

PAC-12 players form a union

villox

Aug 19, 2008
These are their demands:

EebDFq8XgAAI2Z5

More: https://www.si.com/college/2020/08/02/pac-12-players-prepared-to-skip-season

50% conference revenue disbursement to the players. I cannot see the universities agreeing to that.

50% conference revenue disbursement to the players. I cannot see the universities agreeing to that.
Especially with the demand to reinstate all sports cut during the pandemic. They cherry-pick the wealthy private school Stanford as an example, but for most of these schools, football and basketball profits fund the non-revenue sports. Well, if the football and basketball players are taking 50% of the revenue (and notice they say revenue, not profit), that's less money available to fund the women's teams.

Engage and discuss. Educate. Listen and learn. Include some give and take. They'll show up.

GOUNUII
Agreed... although the PAC-12 claims they haven’t heard from this group yet.

Amongst the demands:

The group is also asking conference commissioner Larry Scott, administrators and coaches to "drastically reduce excessive pay" and end performance bonuses to help preserve all existing sports. In addition to those financial requests, the student-athletes are demanding guaranteed medical expense coverage for six years after college athletics eligibility ends.

The student-athletes are asking the conference to form a permanent civic engagement task force to address social injustice issues, as well as an annual Pac-12 Black College Athlete Summit with at least three athletes from every school in the conference.

In addition, the letter says the group wants the conference to direct 2% of conference revenue to support financial aid for low-income Black students, community initiatives and development programs for college athletes on campus.’

“Use some endowment funds to preserve all sports.”

Good luck finishing that sentence without the room erupting in laughter.

Reactions: Gladeskat
How about 2% for all underprivileged athletes in need. This should include everyone regardless of race

To college players? OMG! What about the losing team? Would the players have to return money or pay out of their pocket?

Now you are only proving how uninformed and WRONG you are.
I’m a firm believer that 70-85% of both parties act diligently to protect our interests. I’ve always been a middle of the road guy. When circumstances change, I’ll vote. Until then, I’ll use those precious few hours normally used for voting on trying to turn professional in tennis for the over sixty crowd. Injuries have forced the retirement of this once proud Wrassler/ Boxer, and golfer! LoL!

I’m a firm believer that 70-85% of both parties act diligently to protect our interests. I’ve always been a middle of the road guy. When circumstances change, I’ll vote. Until then, I’ll use those precious few hours normally used for voting on trying to turn professional in tennis for the over sixty crowd. Injuries have forced the retirement of this once proud Wrassler/ Boxer, and golfer! LoL!
Vote by mail! Time saved!

It is already anticipated some players will decide to sit out the season for fear of COVID-19. For the group threatening to boycott the season, good luck with boycotting something that might not happen anyways.

Last edited:

And with vote by mail, you can vote from your couch, where you watch the Cats from!

Reactions: cattul
It is already anticipated some players will decide to sit out the season for fear of COVID-19. For the group threatening to boycott the season, good luck with boycotting something that might not happen anyways.

Then here’s to hoping they boycott next year, too.

Reactions: villox
Politicizing sports is a dead end. One man's opinion. No need to demonize me or otherwise tell me how I am wrong. I've heard the other opinions.
The NBA seems to be doing pretty well right now - the Bucks-Rockets national anthem with everyone kneeling was powerful. The pre-recorded player statements before the game were moving.

And their ratings are booming. Thankfully young children of all stripes are being exposed to the truth that Black Lives do Matter and that this society is fundamentally unfair to people of color.

And if players have to sit out to be heard, so be it. I hope the PAC-12 players do sit out... even if it will make for one lopsided Rose Bowl.

Reactions: NUCat320 and Fitz51
The NBA seems to be doing pretty well right now - the Bucks-Rockets national anthem with everyone kneeling was powerful. The pre-recorded player statements before the game were moving.

And their ratings are booming. Thankfully young children of all stripes are being exposed to the truth that Black Lives do Matter and that this society is fundamentally unfair to people of color.

And if players have to sit out to be heard, so be it. I hope the PAC-12 players do sit out... even if it will make for one lopsided Rose Bowl.

It's being reported that Washington State has cut players who support the movement. They retain their scholarships but are off the team. If true, WSU is a joke.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcspor...ll-releasing-players-support-pac-12-movement/

Reactions: PurpleHaze525

Another request of mine in life - not to be lectured to - unfulfilled.

Reactions: BFDCat
Another request of mine in life - not to be lectured to - unfulfilled.
Lol. Not a lecture, more of a rambling session spurred on by how impressed I am by the NBA’s presentation and solidarity. A message on an internet board isn’t a lecture when you can gloss over, skip, or ignore (case in point: how I handle WickerTurk’s... lectures to us all).

Golf is as neutral as Switzerland if that’s your bag.

Lol. Not a lecture, more of a rambling session spurred on by how impressed I am by the NBA’s presentation and solidarity. A message on an internet board isn’t a lecture when you can gloss over, skip, or ignore (case in point: how I handle WickerTurk’s... lectures to us all).

Golf is as neutral as Switzerland if that’s your bag.
I haven't watched an NBA game in years and now I don't think I'll ever watch another game again.

Reactions: WaveJumper
I haven't watched an NBA game in years and now I don't think I'll ever watch another game again.
And yet, their ratings keep climbing along with their revenues.

The NBA and NHL have been the best run sports leagues for a while now. NFL and its college football minor league are in the middle of the pack. And the MLB has been poorly run for a looong time.

College players are in sore need of professional representation, even collective bargaining.
Are you or Wicker available? This Wazzu player was allegedly threatened to be kicked off the team by their head coach for supporting this movement, although their AD claims “nobody was cut”.

https://deadspin.com/unity-movements-kassidy-woods-cut-from-wsu-to-avoid-mix-1844588685

The phone call was recorded and released by the player’s mom. Not sure if it’s legal without notifying the Head Coach.

Coaches will soon get the message. No discussions outside of work product (Hit the A gap type of thing.) with "union employees" without a HR rep present. Yep, that's the ticket to the future for college sports.

Reactions: Fitz51
Coaches will soon get the message. No discussions outside of work product (Hit the A gap type of thing.) with "union employees" without a HR rep present. Yep, that's the ticket to the future for college sports.
The NCAA may be facing its imminent demise if the football season is cancelled and college basketball is too.

It is anyone’s guess what will fill the void, or what the impact of Title IX will be if every athletic department is broke and cancelling sports programs left and right.

Reactions: RevCat
The NCAA may be facing its imminent demise if the football season is cancelled and college basketball is too.

It is anyone’s guess what will fill the void, or what the impact of Title IX will be if every athletic department is broke and cancelling sports programs left and right.
It’s called a minor league and the big leagues would have to support it. No more free ride Mr. Godell.

Reactions: Frabjous and Fitz51
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT