ADVERTISEMENT

Paddy Fisher

I'd recommend this thread to anyone who wonders why he can't make headway in Interweb arguments. When you have a guy arguing with a player's own father about the player's weight, it almost becomes Saturday Night Live material.
For what it's worth, I have very limited idea what my children weigh, and I live with them (and even carry two of them) daily. I could guess within 20 pounds, but the max any of them weighs is around, say, 65 (75? Who knows!?!) pounds.

"Hey son, whaddya weigh?" is not standard conversation in many families.

That said, I have no doubt that it *is* standard conversation in families with high-level athletes, including CatsDad's family, at least with the high-level athlete (though perhaps not with the pre-med student.)

My two conclusions:
- the linebacker corps will be solid
- CatsDad had solid taste in cake

For what it's worth, I have very limited idea what my children weigh, and I live with them (and even carry two of them) daily. I could guess within 20 pounds, but the max any of them weighs is around, say, 65 (75? Who knows!?!) pounds.

That said, I have no doubt that it *is* standard conversation in families with high-level athletes, including CatsDad's family, at least with the high-level athlete (though perhaps not with the pre-med student.)

My two conclusions:

While i agree with your conclusions, i HOPE the takeaway for most posters here is ....

Don't f'ing argue with a parent about their child when you have no first hand knowledge about a situation and when you insist on giving the parent backhanded compliments like - oh well your son is young and still has a chance to become a real college linebacker (my paraphrasing). This holds especially true when such parent is an active and valuable member of the community and has both a favorable impact on recruiting and on informing all of us dimbulbs that do not live in Chicago and cannot typically get insights on the team from anybody not named Louie.

My two conclusions:
My eldest weights 215. He has been working out, it is sort of a competition thing. Of course I know Jango's weight. I send him 1k a month to buy good food with. I know he needs to put on size without losing speed. We don't want him just throwing weight on by eating garbage. When he gets his scan he tells me his weight, how much muscle he put on, and how much fat he has lost. He was extremely excited when he weighted in at 218. His position coach was also. Jango played well at the BTN scrimmage, and was very sick for this past one. Jango will weight at least 225 for the season and is already very fast.

Reactions: NUCat320
I'm jealous. My dad never did Chipotle runs for me.

LOL - welcome to the 21st century.

BTW - do people still go to Chipotle?!? Used to love the place until chewed on some Pig bone shards in my carnitas burrito bowl, and then they had that tragic public mess about local sourcing and food safety issues. Talk about a franchise that flushed a couple billion down the toilet in a matter of minutes... o_O

Jango will have time to hit the gym several times a day now. He can lift, work on explosiveness, and get more flexibility. He will also spend time on the VR. Now he also has tine to study film and learn the play book inside and out. It was hard to learn the SAM backer position, then all of a sudden he needs to learn the Will, which is much harder. It is an adjustment going from High School to college, even if you were at IMG Academy. I have no doubt Jango will be ready and actively contribute this season. He and I both are doing everything we can to get him ready.

BTW - do people still go to Chipotle?!? Used to love the place until chewed on some Pig bone shards in my carnitas burrito bowl, and then they had that tragic public mess about local sourcing and food safety issues. Talk about a franchise that flushed a couple billion down the toilet in a matter of minutes... o_O
Jango eats the double steak, no pork. Double steak, brown rice, pintos, and cheese.

You need to be more understanding of Chipotle. It is pretty tough to run any retail business, especially fast food, and do what Chipotle is attempting. It could happen to any of these restaurants. Yes, it is scary and gross, but if you are freaked out by that you should not go to restaurants, period, because what you will find behind the curtain will terrify you.

I have always thought that there are more germs living inside my mouth and gut than there are on floor of my local Chipotle or whatever. I am sure I have eaten plenty of dirt in the backcountry, imbibed somewhat contaminated water, and consumed other nasties. Our bodies are designed to deal with this stuff, and, when maintained, do it pretty well.

BUT----I greatly resent CatsDad insinuating that Chipotle is crap food. He had better watch himself around here or there will be real trouble. Or, as Chief Dan George said, "Get ready, little lady. Hell is coming to breakfast."

/s

You need to be more understanding of Chipotle. It is pretty tough to run any retail business, especially fast food, and do what Chipotle is attempting. It could happen to any of these restaurants. Yes, it is scary and gross, but if you are freaked out by that you should not go to restaurants, period, because what you will find behind the curtain will terrify you.

I have always thought that there are more germs living inside my mouth and gut than there are on floor of my local Chipotle or whatever. I am sure I have eaten plenty of dirt in the backcountry, imbibed somewhat contaminated water, and consumed other nasties. Our bodies are designed to deal with this stuff, and, when maintained, do it pretty well.

BUT----I greatly resent CatsDad insinuating that Chipotle is crap food. He had better watch himself around here or there will be real trouble. Or, as Chief Dan George said, "Get ready, little lady. Hell is coming to breakfast."

/s
I didn't call Chipotle crap food. It is a staple on Jango's diet. A burrito is around 1500 calories of carbs and protein. My only complaint with it is the amount of sodium. He eats Todoroki Hibachi, Panera, PF Changs, and Chipotle often

Last edited:

/s

Agreed about Chipotle. If you can't eat there, then you really should not eat out and this is coming from someone whose family was in the restaurant business for decades. My son said the same thing about finding a little piece of bone in his Burrito and I told him that was a good sign that they are using fresh food. You should worry about finding a whole lot of different things in your food but not a little shard of bone when you are eating pulled pork.

My eldest weights 215. He has been working out, it is sort of a competition thing. Of course I know Jango's weight. I send him 1k a month to buy good food with. I know he needs to put on size without losing speed. We don't want him just throwing weight on by eating garbage. When he gets his scan he tells me his weight, how much muscle he put on, and how much fat he has lost. He was extremely excited when he weighted in at 218. His position coach was also. Jango played well at the BTN scrimmage, and was very sick for this past one. Jango will weight at least 225 for the season and is already very fast.

That much a month? I am surprised players need to supplement what is available at the training table with that much food.

While i agree with your conclusions, i HOPE the takeaway for most posters here is ....

Don't f'ing argue with a parent about their child when you have no first hand knowledge about a situation and when you insist on giving the parent backhanded compliments like - oh well your son is young and still has a chance to become a real college linebacker (my paraphrasing). This holds especially true when such parent is an active and valuable member of the community and has both a favorable impact on recruiting and on informing all of us dimbulbs that do not live in Chicago and cannot typically get insights on the team from anybody not named Louie.

The person who was disputing CatsDad is the same person who was arguing with me recently because he insisted that a certain other poster was Turk because they used some of the same language. I told him emphatically that I could tell for a fact, not theory, but absolute fact because there is information available to moderators that is not available to the public that the poster in question is definitely not Turk. Despite what I said, he still insisted it was Turk because he could just tell. Clearly he knows more than the moderators.I gave up arguing at that point. I think he is obsessed with Turk, But I think he has about zero credibility and a tendency to make claims that are not correct. Aren't message board fun! Anyway, I wonder how much Jango weighs after last nights dinner and dessert, probably still less than Ifaedi.

PS sometimes you have to just laugh at other posters instead of getting upset, but I have to just shake my head at people who will continue to argue with someone who knows more than they do

Reactions: Hungry Jack
The person who was disputing CatsDad is the same person who was arguing with me recently because he insisted that a certain other poster was Turk because they used some of the same language. I told him emphatically that I could tell for a fact, not theory, but absolute fact because there is information available to moderators that is not available to the public that the poster in question is definitely not Turk. Despite what I said, he still insisted it was Turk because he could just tell. Clearly he knows more than the moderators.I gave up arguing at that point. I think he is obsessed with Turk, But I think he has about zero credibility and a tendency to make claims that are not correct. Aren't message board fun! Anyway, I wonder how much Jango weighs after last nights dinner and dessert, probably still less than Ifaedi.

PS sometimes you have to just laugh at other posters instead of getting upset, but I have to just shake my head at people who will continue to argue with someone who knows more than they do
True wisdom is knowing what you do not know. Meta-wisdom. It is a scary thought, because the truth we are all so freaking ignorant that we should probably just parade around in pointy Dunce caps. There are no absolutes in life, other than, at some point, you will be very dead and largely forgotten. And that's OK. Just enjoy the ride--without being a jerkoff.

Reactions: Gladeskat

Jango has bronchitis, so hopefully he hasn't lost any weight. If he has it should come right back on. He told me he will be doing two a day lifts now He has more time to dedicate to the things he needs to now that Spring Ball is done. Soon he will have just one class in the summer and he can fully dedicate himself to getting bigger, faster, stronger, and smarter. He just did very well this morning in his movement assessment

True wisdom is knowing what you do not know. Meta-wisdom. It is a scary thought, because the truth we are all so freaking ignorant that we should probably just parade around in pointy Dunce caps. There are no absolutes in life, other than, at some point, you will be very dead and largely forgotten. And that's OK. Just enjoy the ride--without being a jerkoff.

But it is somewhat nice to know that you are still entitled to an opinion even if you have no idea whatsoever what you are talking about.

That much a month? I am surprised players need to supplement what is available at the training table with that much food.
The training table is very good, but he isn't much on the mess hall food. That money is for food and anything else he needs

Okay. So can we now let it go, move on, and kill this random ass thread?

Kinda reminds me of that episode of How I Met Your Mother, saying nothing good happens after 2AM. Message Board equivalent? Nothing good happens after page 2.

Jango has bronchitis, so hopefully he hasn't lost any weight. If he has it should come right back on. He told me he will be doing two a day lifts now He has more time to dedicate to the things he needs to now that Spring Ball is done. Soon he will have just one class in the summer and he can fully dedicate himself to getting bigger, faster, stronger, and smarter. He just did very well this morning in his movement assessment

I think he needs more chocolate cake, purely medicinal. I also suggest chicken soup, the real thing, not the Gentile pretender chicken soup. A matzo ball will not help with the bronchitis, it just tastes good.

Reactions: CatsDad
I think he needs more chocolate cake, purely medicinal. I also suggest chicken soup, the real thing, not the Gentile pretender chicken soup. A matzo ball will not help with the bronchitis, it just tastes good.
He loves Panera's chicken noodle soup.

/s
Got to keep that immune going and I hear the 5 second rule is closer to 5 minutes now.

Kinda reminds me of that episode of How I Met Your Mother, saying nothing good happens after 2AM. Message Board equivalent? Nothing good happens after page 2.

You mean you're not having fun anymore? Maybe we need a little major surgery and delete everything that does not pertain to Paddy Fisher. Remember him? I think that's how we started

He loves Panera's chicken noodle soup.

I am trying to help you out, and it is not working. You need the real thing. Take the kid to a real deli and get him real chicken soup, the
kind that has little globules of chicken fat floating on the top that simultaneously cure your ills and clog your arteries.

Of course, the other takeaway from this is if you are a parent of a player and are going to wade into a fan message board, then you better be prepared to hear a lot of idiotic things.

CatsDad has heard this lecture from me before and I think we have reached an amicable place on the subject. I'm glad to see he's done a good job of keeping his cool in this thread. (Of course, none of us know the things he's typed and then wisely deleted before hitting Post Reply!)

I am trying to help you out, and it is not working. You need the real thing. Take the kid to a real deli and get him real chicken soup, the
kind that has little globules of chicken fat floating on the top that simultaneously cure your ills and clog your arteries.
Dined at The Bagel at Old Orchard mall last night with the in-laws. Their matzo ball soup is top tier.

Of course, the other takeaway from this is if you are a parent of a player and are going to wade into a fan message board, then you better be prepared to hear a lot of idiotic things.

CatsDad has heard this lecture from me before and I think we have reached an amicable place on the subject. I'm glad to see he's done a good job of keeping his cool in this thread. (Of course, none of us know the things he's typed and then wisely deleted before hitting Post Reply!)
I am not upset and haven't been. There is only so much that can be said. I know my son and know where he stands with the coaches. I don't love my son because he plays football. I love my son because of his character and work ethic. No one can dispute them. So if he flat out blows at football, that won't change who he is as a person.

> There are people who don't like me posting on here. <

There are??? Avail yourself of the ignore function.

I love hearing from parents of players. Jalen Brown's Mom's posts were among the best.

I love hearing from parents of players. Jalen Brown's Mom's posts were among the best.
He may be referring to me. I didn't say it that plainly. I've enjoyed my interactions with CatsDad. But I also imagine a future thread where we have a linebacker controversy because Jango and another player are competing for playing time and we want to discuss the pros and cons of each player... will it be awkward to have the player's dad following along so closely? Or, god forbid, what if Jango is starting and not playing well - I hope that never happens, but of course it does happen in sports sometimes. That's all I was saying.... and this was last year when he first joined the board. He has now become such a part of the group, that maybe we'll all feel perfectly comfortable discussing the highs and lows with him.

Het and I actually connected because of these boards. Far more parents of players read these posts than you would imagine. Most just refrain from posting

Or you can put them on ignore.

Agree that nothing good happens after page 2 but I seem to remember a few good thin taking place after 2am.

ADVERTISEMENT