ADVERTISEMENT

Painful

Purple Pile Driver

Gold Member
May 14, 2014
Anywhere but the Rant Board
To me, reading this board after a loss is as painful as watching our OL play the first two days. Most all of the people that post regularly have supported changes to the OL coach. Certainly, doesn't mean we are all right, but it hard to defend the results over the past several years.

The painful part is reading our shortcomings over and over and over again. It is especially painful when the vultures circle after being nowhere to be found when things are going well. The season is never all "hugs and rainbows" but geez we have a few people here who are in their element when NU sucks. They are having their day in the sun now because so far "we stinks". When we turn it around with a good performance, I predict this group will 1) vanish from posting that said week, 2) start every post with " what about the Duke game" or 3) compare Fitz to BC that week. To be clear, I want a change to be made after this season and I think it was a mistake to not have happened prior to this season. I just don't want every other topic morphing into a fire Cushing or Fitz thread.

Even when there is near consensus, it turns into a CNN, FOX News like battle on the extent of the problem or how someone phrased their comments.

Fire away gents! Just don't want to scrap about the OL for awhile!

To me, reading this board after a loss is as painful as watching our OL play the first two days.

The painful part is reading our shortcomings over and over and over again.

My suggestion? Don't read the board after a loss if it is painful for you. Read a book instead.

To me, reading this board after a loss is as painful as watching our OL play the first two days. Most all of the people that post regularly have supported changes to the OL coach. Certainly, doesn't mean we are all right, but it hard to defend the results over the past several years.

The painful part is reading our shortcomings over and over and over again. It is especially painful when the vultures circle after being nowhere to be found when things are going well. The season is never all "hugs and rainbows" but geez we have a few people here who are in their element when NU sucks. They are having their day in the sun now because so far "we stinks". When we turn it around with a good performance, I predict this group will 1) vanish from posting that said week, 2) start every post with " what about the Duke game" or 3) compare Fitz to BC that week. To be clear, I want a change to be made after this season and I think it was a mistake to not have happened prior to this season. I just don't want every other topic morphing into a fire Cushing or Fitz thread.

Even when there is near consensus, it turns into a CNN, FOX News like battle on the extent of the problem or how someone phrased their comments.

It's painful for people on this board, who care more about Northwestern football than 99.99% of the population, to feel like their voices aren't heard by Fitz. The weak link has been apparent for years, and nothing has been done to remedy the issue.

We all have a problem: we're addicted to NU sports and can't quit it. All we ask for is some accountability and changes for the better.

It's painful for people on this board, who care more about Northwestern football than 99.99% of the population, to feel like their voices aren't heard by Fitz. The weak link has been apparent for years, and nothing has been done to remedy the issue.

We all have a problem: we're addicted to NU sports and can't quit it. All we ask for is some accountability and changes for the better.

I love rooting for Northwestern football. I could care less if my voice is heard by Fitz or not. It is not my job to help him coach the team.

A year ago they were 0-2 with losses to WMU and Illinois State.
They finished 7-6 and won a bowl game.
It's way to early to write off 2017.

Reactions: Alvious
I love rooting for Northwestern football. I could care less if my voice is heard by Fitz or not. It is not my job to help him coach the team.
With all the dumb things I say on here, I'm hoping Fitz doesn't hear my voice.

Reactions: mikewebb68

Unless you have 30,000 people a week observing whether you have done your job effectively, I don't know that you understand the accountability Fitz actually has.

I would like to respectfully disagree, in part.

Although I believe it's too early to write off the season, I believe that a 7-6 season IS a write-off. That's the definition of mediocrity. I'm sorry, but my standards and expectations are higher than that and I suspect yours are too.

Last edited:
Reactions: willycat and NJCat
Unless you have 30,000 people a week observing whether you have done your job effectively, I don't know that you understand the accountability Fitz actually has.
I don't have 30,000 but I have one who will really fire me on the spot if I repeat the same mistake or don't correct it. I also don't have a paycheck that would allow me to retire any time and have enough money to live the rest of my life in reasonable comfort. I certainly don't have a contract buy-out clause.

I guess it is your definition of accountability.

Reactions: IGNORE2 and 2388bb

7-6 with a win in a minor bowl game is not a very high bar when you have an experienced QB and perhaps the best RB in program history.

This like the tree falling in the forest--it has still fallen even if you didn't hear it. If Fitz hasn't known there is a problem when it is obvious, nothing we say will make a difference. If he has known and doesn't do anything about it, still nothing we say will make any difference. But, like the problem, we're the tree.

If things go well, that does not mean the problem is not still there. It means we overcame it and there are happier things to talk about. But when it is a big reason for a failure, it comes to the forefront because we were not able to work around it. This was supposed to be Fitz's best team and here comes the old bugaboo that despite years of under performance has not been corrected and it has the potential of derailing a season that has the potential of taking us to the promised land.

About all we can hope for is an improvement similar to what happened after the dismal start last year.

If things go well, that does not mean the problem is not still there. It means we overcame it and there are happier things to talk about. But when it is a big reason for a failure, it comes to the forefront because we were not able to work around it. This was supposed to be Fitz's best team and here comes the old bugaboo that despite years of under performance has not been corrected and it has the potential of derailing a season that has the potential of taking us to the promised land.

About all we can hope for is an improvement similar to what happened after the dismal start last year.

Don't disagree. However, a season of non stop harping on this short coming isn't going to change anything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT