ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Baldwin Jr

Baldwin Sr, fired from Wis. Milwaukee. It's over.
This is funny. Talk about a move that would cost an AD a job....

I think the rest have it right - Baldwin is headed to UWM. We are headed to where we always seem to be - irrelevant.

Yes every now and then a Jerry Rice, Walter Payton or Ja Moriant comes along, but they’re few and far between and the exception not the rule. Generally speaking, to become the best you have to compete against the best. IMO the kid would get a lot more out of competing against the likes of Michigan, Wisc, Iowa, Mich St. or Duke, Carolina, UVA on a daily basis, than scoring 30 every night against Robert Morris and Youngstown State.
All you have to do is look at the growing pains Nance has had getting ready for this level when he played against lesser competition in HS He has caught up but it took some time

Reactions: drewjin
So, is there room on the staff to hire another assistant?

Say, an associate HC?

Whether PBJ ends up in Evanston or not, would still like to see PBS back on courtside.
We have an opening on the staff because Coach Dildy left

We have an opening on the staff because Coach Dildy left
Seems like a no brainer then, right? If you have a staff spot open and prior experience with the Baldwin, you make that move without thinking for a second. In this case the dad isn’t some bum parent looking for a pay day, he’s a highly qualified candidate on his own.

Seems like a no brainer then, right? If you have a staff spot open and prior experience with the Baldwin, you make that move without thinking for a second. In this case the dad isn’t some bum parent looking for a pay day, he’s a highly qualified candidate on his own.
Absolutely.

If Pat Baldwin is indeed out at UWM (and does not have any suitable Division head coaching offers) you have to think Collins would love to bring him back into the fold, regardless of where his son chooses to play.

IMHO, losing the elder Baldwin to the Panthers is an underrated factor related to the program's decline over the past few seasons. I know most point to the graduation of McIntosh and recruiting misses for the drop off in guard play, but I believe coaching (or lack thereof) should not discounted either.

Last edited:
Absolutely.

If Pat Baldwin is indeed out at UWM (and does not have any suitable Division head coaching offers) you have to think Collins would love to bring him back into the fold, regardless of where his son chooses to play.

IMHO, losing the elder Baldwin to the Panthers is an underrated factor related to the program's decline over the past few seasons. I know most point to the graduation of McIntosh and recruiting misses for the drop off in guard play, but I believe coaching (or lack thereof) should not discounted either.
Would you prefer O'Neil? Wait he doesn't have a super star son, does he?

Would you prefer O'Neil? Wait he doesn't have a super star son, does he?
Um…what are you talking about?

Why would anyone prefer Kevin O’Neil to Pat Baldwin for any coaching position?

Your response to my post (which supports a potential move that would bring Pat Baldwin back to Evanston) literally makes zero sense.

Last edited:
Talor Battle now on staff per Twitter. Does this crush our PB Sr and PB Jr dreams?

PBJ is announcing tomorrow. It’s between Georgetown, Duke, and UWM. The dream is finally over.

Cheap shot. Very unfair. Recruiting has never been the issue. Incoming class is outstanding. He missed out on arguably the #1 player in the country, boo hoo.
There’s never been more talent at any time in the history of the program. Maybe last year, before Kopp left.

Cheap shot. Very unfair. Recruiting has never been the issue. Incoming class is outstanding. He missed out on arguably the #1 player in the country, boo hoo.
Recruiting is literally the issue. Collins strikes out on his top targets and he does a poor job of identifying and evaluating the players that do want to come here. That’s literally a recruiting issue. The current problem is that we don’t have enough good players, no? That’s a recruiting issue.

That’s just blatantly untrue. We have 0 all conference players on the team. Even Carmody had years where we had multiple all conference players in Shurna and Coble
I know. I find it comical when people say it. That’s why I mentioned Kopp — higher rated than either of the schlubs you mentioned.

Good for PBJ. And congrats to the UWM sports information folks, who finally have some work to do.

I may sound like a jerk here, but why on earth would you pass up the opportunity to attend some of the top institutions in the land??? Northwestern, Duke or UVa are all incredible places.

If the injury didn't really sap him, then I'm sure he'll get drafted, but there is no question that his development will be stunted by playing with and against who he will be playing with next year. Also, the NBA career will last maybe several years and then something else has to fill his time for the rest of his life. Why turn down an association with an amazing academic institution like those on his list?

Part of this is bitterness that he spurned NU, but part of this is not. I knew it was more likely he'd end up at Duke than NU. I just don't get the decision. But whatever..... not my kid.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I may sound like a jerk here, but why on earth would you pass up the opportunity to attend some of the top institutions in the land??? Northwestern, Duke or UVa are all incredible places.

If the injury didn't really sap him, then I'm sure he'll get drafted, but there is no question that his development will be stunted by playing with and against who he will be playing with next year. Also, the NBA career will last maybe several years and then something else has to fill his time for the rest of his life. Why turn down an association with an amazing academic institution like those on his list?

Part of this is bitterness that he spurned NU, but part of this is not. I knew it was more likely he'd end up at Duke than NU. I just don't get the decision. But whatever..... not my kid.
The C: I always really appreciate your voice on here. But, I think we WAYYY overestimate the impact of the quality of the broader school. It is a sad statement, but to paraphrase Cardale Jones (who I don't mean to disrespect), NCAA Division I revenue athletes - for the most part - "ain't come here to play school." And, I am guessing that is more true at Northwestern than we would like to believe. That becomes particularly true for someone of Mr. Baldwin's prodigious talents..and presumably native intelligence. He will be just fine, no matter what happens. The average SAT level of his incoming classmates at UWM versus Duke or NU and the quality of architecture at those respective institutions will have no impact on his future success. That is my opinion, but it is one that I hold very strongly.

He gets to play with four-star PG recruit Jordan Lathon, too.

Reactions: NUCat320

Ja Morant competed in the OVC and ended up being the #2 overall pick just a handful of years ago.

The elder Baldwin can simply “schedule up” in the non-conference. It’s not football where every thing is finalized years in advance. Not mention, PBS is a very good coach in addition to being PBJ’s father.

The younger Baldwin can always apply to NU or any other school once his career is finished. His talent is immense and as long becoming a professional basketball player is his desire, it would be foolish not focus on that for the time being. Again, this is not football where he would need to stay in school three years.

Weak post, but at least you admitted it’s driven by jealousy, so agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Reactions: lunker35
The C: I always really appreciate your voice on here. But, I think we WAYYY overestimate the impact of the quality of the broader school. It is a sad statement, but to paraphrase Cardale Jones (who I don't mean to disrespect), NCAA Division I revenue athletes - for the most part - "ain't come here to play school." And, I am guessing that is more true at Northwestern than we would like to believe. That becomes particularly true for someone of Mr. Baldwin's prodigious talents..and presumably native intelligence. He will be just fine, no matter what happens. The average SAT level of his incoming classmates at UWM versus Duke or NU and the quality of architecture at those respective institutions will have no impact on his future success. That is my opinion, but it is one that I hold very strongly.

There are numerous paths for success in life. However you or anyone else defines the success you/they seek. NU was instrumental in the successes I’ve experienced in my personal and professional life. But that’s not necessarily true of all NU grads. And NU and it’s peer universities aren’t necessarily either the only or the best avenues for everyone.

Good luck to all the Baldwins.

GOUNUII

ADVERTISEMENT