ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Spencer

Congrats to PS. I thought he’d have to start his international game at a lower level than the Germany top league. Really happy for him

I thought there was a pro lacrosse league. It must be really pathetic if the #1 player in the country at one point doesn't join in.
Is it different than Charlie Ward playing in the NBA rather than the NFL? Spencer can almost certainly make better money as a professional basketball player.

Is it different than Charlie Ward playing in the NBA rather than the NFL? Spencer can almost certainly make better money as a professional basketball player.
Heck of a lot less abuse to his body as well. Charlie and Pat made good choices......

Great that he’s getting a chance so late in the season. Should set him up for a better contract next year. And he goes up against Derek Pardon’s team -Bayreuth- on April 29.

Reactions: DaCat
I thought there was a pro lacrosse league. It must be really pathetic if the #1 player in the country at one point doesn't join in.
My son lasted 3 years in the MLL. He was one of the highest paid players at the time, at about $500/game. Endorsements were a bigger source of income. The MLL was brutally physical. His back still has scars from getting slashed by 6' D poles. The lack of practice and long bus rides sapped his love of playing

The MLL merged with the better funded upstart PLL . Salaries are much higher now but attendance still has not kept pace of the rising popularity of the sport. The attendance at the Final Four peaked about 15 years ago with about 50,000 fans attending a weekend festival. Greater TV exposure evidently hurt attendance of the NCAA tournament but much like hockey , following the "ball" takes experienced camera crews and now with ESPN's limited budget and lack of onsite commentators , even the TV experience is not as good as it has been

Lacrosse combines all the aspects of sport that Americans like-contact, scoring, eye to hand coordination, and athleticism but has not flourished professionally.

Reactions: CatManTrue and TheC
My son lasted 3 years in the MLL. He was one of the highest paid players at the time, at about $500/game. Endorsements were a bigger source of income. The MLL was brutally physical. His back still has scars from getting slashed by 6' D poles. The lack of practice and long bus rides sapped his love of playing

The MLL merged with the better funded upstart PLL . Salaries are much higher now but attendance still has not kept pace of the rising popularity of the sport. The attendance at the Final Four peaked about 15 years ago with about 50,000 fans attending a weekend festival. Greater TV exposure evidently hurt attendance of the NCAA tournament but much like hockey , following the "ball" takes experienced camera crews and now with ESPN's limited budget and lack of onsite commentators , even the TV experience is not as good as it has been

Lacrosse combines all the aspects of sport that Americans like-contact, scoring, eye to hand coordination, and athleticism but has not flourished professionally.

It's a great sport. I grew up in LAX country in upstate NY, but never really played. Both my kids are playing though and love it.

A cursory look at a few lacrosse rosters (men & women) show a lot of names, it seems. How many scholarships are allowable to a team? (I assume the limit requires most players to be on partial scholarships at best.)

Lacrosse is allowed 12.6 scholarships, so full scholarships are extremely rare
A cursory look at a few lacrosse rosters (men & women) show a lot of names, it seems. How many scholarships are allowable to a team? (I assume the limit requires most players to be on partial scholarships at best.)
NCAA allow 12.6 scholarships for about a 40 man squad

Yeah, lacrosse combines some of the elements of hockey and soccer with more scoring. I enjoy watching it. It always seems as if it should be more popular in the U.S., but it has been relatively slow to spread from its hotbed in the Northeast and mid-Atlantic.

Great that he’s getting a chance so late in the season. Should set him up for a better contract next year. And he goes up against Derek Pardon’s team -Bayreuth- on April 29.
Pardon and Bayreuth beat Spenser and Hamburg tonight. Strong game by Derek- 27 mins, 11 puts., 13 rebounds. Spenser only played 10 mins and had 3 points.

The Ivys have admission slots for their athletic teams, scholarships based on need, and no athletic scholarships

Yes, hypothetically, if the student was admitted relative to the application pool as a whole and also qualified for financial aid.

Went through every stat sheet of games Spencer played in. It did not look good.

Starting your international career in the Germany D1 is not the best strategy for players that are not clear stars. Most (good) agents will tell their clients this. And most clients won't listen.

The path for a guy like Spencer is more playing in Belgium/Netherlands/Kosovo/Portugal or something like that. Stack up some numbers and experience playing against grown ass men. And, hopefully, move on to more demanding and significantly better paying leagues.

While you give up money to start off with, the paying is actually pitiful and equates to playing for free in the minors, it is often the way to avoid playing for a year or two and see your career shut down because you could never show decent numbers.

Went through every stat sheet of games Spencer played in. It did not look good.

Starting your international career in the Germany D1 is not the best strategy for players that are not clear stars. Most (good) agents will tell their clients this. And most clients won't listen.

The path for a guy like Spencer is more playing in Belgium/Netherlands/Kosovo/Portugal or something like that. Stack up some numbers and experience playing against grown ass men. And, hopefully, move on to more demanding and significantly better paying leagues.

While you give up money to start off with, the paying is actually pitiful and equates to playing for free in the minors, it is often the way to avoid playing for a year or two and see your career shut down because you could never show decent numbers.
Care to share the summary of your analysis, if not the game-by-game stats?

Care to share the summary of your analysis, if not the game-by-game stats?
I could not find player stats. Did not look that hard, probably can be found. So I looked at the box score of the Hamburg team. You can find them here:

First game PS plays in was on April 23. Only 10 games played

His minutes were low in a few games but he started close to half of them. His shooting percentage was pretty good. Given that it's his second year of competitive hoops, his performance was decent.

UPDATED WITH TOTAL STATS OVER 8 GAMES:
19-33 (2pt FG%)
3-10 (3pt FG%)
9-12 (FT %)
24 rebounds (3.0/gm)
9 assists (1.1/gm)
56 points (7.0/gm)

Last edited:
His minutes were low in a few games but he started close to half of them. His shooting percentage was pretty good. Given that it's his second year of competitive hoops, his performance was decent.

UPDATED WITH TOTAL STATS OVER 8 GAMES:
19-33 (2pt FG%)
3-10 (3pt FG%)
9-12 (FT %)
24 rebounds (3.0/gm)
9 assists (1.1/gm)
56 points (7.0/gm)

You are seeing it from a perspective of a player in a stable system. In the NCAA, in the NBA. Or, in Europe, were he German the numbers would look ok. Evolution and all.

But he counts as a foreign player, which have limited slots in teams in different countries. Who are chosen, not after tons of due diligence, film, etc, but rather from a step above a catalog of many many players. Where seeing numbers like Spencer posted does not get many people excited about looking further and look up some film. And, perhaps most importantly, are expected to score decently. The American player in a Euro team is expected to score. There’s no bringing a dude in to be a glue guy, defensive stopper or something like that.

The game of playing professional ball abroad requires putting up numbers. And not numbers as a second year playing organized ball. Make no mistake, this is not a start that helps him. The saving grace is only having played 10 games.

I like and admire the heck out of Spencer. Like a lot here do. But saying his numbers were decent is being kind. Very kind.

Bottom line, he should have never gone to Germany D1 to kick this off. I encourage you to look up what happened to Scottie Lindsey in his first Euro adventure. When he was a lot more mature than Spencer.

Last edited:
Hopefully he's loving life and enjoys as much as he can wring from this leg of his career.

ADVERTISEMENT