ADVERTISEMENT

Paterno family drops NCAA lawsuit, effectively admitting that Joe Paterno enabled rape for decades

NUCat320

Dec 4, 2005
Just in case you missed the news, timed to come out on Friday afternoon of a holiday weekend.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...us/joe-paterno-family-lawsuit-ncaa/index.html

It's a shame that he never stood trial. I'd have love to see him sweat, rather than just bask in adoration.

That entire university is forever tarnished.

And everyone should watch Spotlight, (co-)starring NU's own Brian d'arcy James, to understand how systemic rape can continue unabetted if powerful institutions have a vested interest in the rapist(s).

I am not sure dropping the suit is tantamount to admission, but the Paterno family is best served by ceasing its efforts to publicly defend Joe Pa's legacy. These efforts were shamefully disrespectful (that's putting it mildly) of all the people victimized by his complicity.

I am not sure dropping the suit is tantamount to admission, but the Paterno family is best served by ceasing its efforts to publicly defend Joe Pa's legacy. These efforts were shamefully disrespectful (that's putting it mildly) of all the people victimized by his complicity.
The timing of when they dropped the case being immediately before the deadline to provide proof that the original report was flawed can be used to paint Joe Paterno in a negative light. The fact probably is that the family's lawyers knew all along that the could not prove a negative and that they just kept sucking money out of the family until the last possible second and then said "We got nothin'. Here's our bill."

I am not fond of lawyers.

Apologies to any ethical lawyers.

Also apologies to any unicorns, Easter bunnies, or Santa Claus. o_O

The timing of when they dropped the case being immediately before the deadline to provide proof that the original report was flawed can be used to paint Joe Paterno in a negative light. The fact probably is that the family's lawyers knew all along that the could not prove a negative and that they just kept sucking money out of the family until the last possible second and then said "We got nothin'. Here's our bill."

I am not fond of lawyers.

Apologies to any ethical lawyers.

Also apologies to any unicorns, Easter bunnies, or Santa Claus. o_O
There are so few I don't think you have to worry about the apologies.

You can hear the collective sigh at PSU as they are relieved not to relive their shameful past in court for months on end.

The vain family finally made a good decision not to go to court, where JP would be nailed and lots more money would be lost in the effort.

There are so few I don't think you have to worry about the apologies.
This sort of nonsense is somewhat disappointing coming from people who claim to be semi-intelligent. The vast majority of lawyers are highly ethical, and they represent their clients to the best of their ability within the applicable codes of ethics. I agree that Paterno was a bad guy in this case, but the gratuitous and speculative lawyer-bashing in this thread seems highly inappropriate.

This sort of nonsense is somewhat disappointing coming from people who claim to be semi-intelligent. The vast majority of lawyers are highly ethical, and they represent their clients to the best of their ability within the applicable codes of ethics. I agree that Paterno was a bad guy in this case, but the gratuitous and speculative lawyer-bashing in this thread seems highly inappropriate.

Unfortunately, we live in a society these days where the view is that nobody is honest but you and me, and I'm not sure about you.

Reactions: Fitz51 and NJCat
This is a message board. Speculation is what we do here.

My personal speculation used as its base the assumption that the majority of lawyers are not ethical. This was, of course, based on my personal experience in which the majority of attorneys with whom I have had direct contact have exhibited a very fluid definition of ethics. While I am sure they were able to justify their actions and therefore consider themselves as ethical, the "reasonable" third person might not agree.

Based on the attorneys with whom I have had personal dealings, the concept that they would present to the family that their case was much more solid than reality was believable. The justification being that they were keeping their clients hopes up and motivating them for the battle ahead. While charging by the hour. The recommendation to the family that they drop the case right before put-up-or-shut-up time could also be justified in the attorney's mind as being the best recommendation at the time.

No one could prove that the attorneys knew at the beginning of the case that it stood a snowball's chance in hell and that they were telling the family what they wanted to hear to keep the checks coming.

Speculation?... Absolutely.
Inappropriate to a message board?... No.
Please note that the initial speculation was that the family had found out that their husband/ father/ grandfather had knowingly abetted a child rapist. My speculation that lawyers used the situation to line their own pockets is mild by comparison.

I also find lawyer jokes humorous and they are a traditional standard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inovacat
You can hear the collective sigh at PSU as they are relieved not to relive their shameful past in court for months on end.

Yes, but since Jay Paterni was just elected to one of seats of the Board of Trustees at Penn State, I fully expect the absurd dance to continue to proclaim Joe Paterno's innocence and fully honor what the fan base perceives to be his untainted accomplishments just now in the PSU board room and the court of public opinion.

To be fair, I suspect part of the continuing dance around this issue being initiated by the Paterno kids to keep their mother happy. I'd figure Sue Paterno (like her husband) lived in an era where the toxic mix of pedophilia and homosexuality was unimaginable, and thus easy to deny when presented with evidence to the contrary. To see her husband's "great legacy" tarnished followed by his rapid decline and death, I'd imagine she pressures those kids to "do something" and is more than willing to foot the bills to do so.

This is a message board. Speculation is what we do here.

My personal speculation used as its base the assumption that the majority of lawyers are not ethical. This was, of course, based on my personal experience in which the majority of attorneys with whom I have had direct contact have exhibited a very fluid definition of ethics. While I am sure they were able to justify their actions and therefore consider themselves as ethical, the "reasonable" third person might not agree.

Based on the attorneys with whom I have had personal dealings, the concept that they would present to the family that their case was much more solid than reality was believable. The justification being that they were keeping their clients hopes up and motivating them for the battle ahead. While charging by the hour. The recommendation to the family that they drop the case right before put-up-or-shut-up time could also be justified in the attorney's mind as being the best recommendation at the time.

No one could prove that the attorneys knew at the beginning of the case that it stood a snowball's chance in hell and that they were telling the family what they wanted to hear to keep the checks coming.

Speculation?... Absolutely.
Inappropriate to a message board?... No.
Please note that the initial speculation was that the family had found out that their husband/ father/ grandfather had knowingly abetted a child rapist. My speculation that lawyers used the situation to line their own pockets is mild by comparison.

I also find lawyer jokes humorous and they are a traditional standard.

There was no speculation regarding your derrogatory comments toward lawyers generally. So you think you've had some bad experiences with lawyers. That may or may not be true. I once represented a client on a contingency case. Agreed up front to half of a normal contingency fee. Delivered net to the client 20 times what the case was worth. And still. The client thought I was an awful, unethical lawyer because I would not agree to yet another fee reduction before distributing the proceeds. He too felt as though he had a bad experience with a lawyer. Went out of his way to bad mouth me and lawyers in general. Perhaps you are just as much of an unreasonable, unethical ass as he was.

GOUNUII

There was no speculation regarding your derrogatory comments toward lawyers generally. So you think you've had some bad experiences with lawyers. That may or may not be true. I once represented a client on a contingency case. Agreed up front to half of a normal contingency fee. Delivered net to the client 20 times what the case was worth. And still. The client thought I was an awful, unethical lawyer because I would not agree to yet another fee reduction before distributing the proceeds. He too felt as though he had a bad experience with a lawyer. Went out of his way to bad mouth me and lawyers in general. Perhaps you are just as much of an unreasonable, unethical ass as he was.

GOUNUII
As you probably know, I've had those types of clients as well. Nonetheless the vast majority of my clients appreciate what I do for them, and they pay the fee, which is always agreed upon in advance. However, you will never disabuse Glide of his nonsensical ideas about lawyers. I've gone through this debate with him before on this Board, and he is steadfast in his belief that all lawyers are unethical. Obviously he knows nothing about the Paterno Family's lawsuit or the fee agreement with their lawyers. Also, he's probably forgotten that the Paterno Family paid for their own independent investigation of the case when they didn't like the conclusions set forth in the Louis Freeh report. The problem lies with the Paterno family, not their lawyers Finally, I know for a fact that you have performed outstanding work for many clients, while always conforming to the highest ethical standards. So next time Glide is looking for an accomplished, experienced, ethical lawyer, perhaps he should call you. Be aware, though, that he is a bitter and cynical man (just my opinion).

As you probably know, I've had those types of clients as well. Nonetheless the vast majority of my clients appreciate what I do for them, and they pay the fee, which is always agreed upon in advance. However, you will never disabuse Glide of his nonsensical ideas about lawyers. I've gone through this debate with him before on this Board, and he is steadfast in his belief that all lawyers are unethical. Obviously he knows nothing about the Paterno Family's lawsuit or the fee agreement with their lawyers. Also, he's probably forgotten that the Paterno Family paid for their own independent investigation of the case when they didn't like the conclusions set forth in the Louis Freeh report. The problem lies with the Paterno family, not their lawyers Finally, I know for a fact that you have performed outstanding work for many clients, while always conforming to the highest ethical standards. So next time Glide is looking for an accomplished, experienced, ethical lawyer, perhaps he should call you. Be aware, though, that he is a bitter and cynical man (just my opinion).
Goodness!

It appears that I am a bitter, cynical, unreasonable, unethical ass.

All of this because I have a strong negative opinion about someone else based on a limited information pool.

Hmmmm.

Lawyers, auto mechanics, contractors, investment advisors, etc. are inherently not trusted because they work in areas were laymen have very limited knowledge. We all know that it's no fun flying blind when large sums of money are at stake, so when things go bad it is easy to blame "unethical" types. Clearly there are many out there. Contractors are particularly maddening because 1) most are cash starved and want cash up front 2) intentionally overbook and juggle schedules to keep the pipe flowing, making it hard to pin them down; 3) have to rely on subs to make any sort of money at all. Most contractor issues are not due to unethical behavior, but more due to limited skills and knowledge, in my experience.

Being married to an attorney (corporate in house), I feel lucky that we will always have good representation if needed.

Reactions: Fitz51
It was meant to be a joke. Sort of like, "What do you call 1000 lawyers at the bottom of Lake Michigan? A good start." This board had gotten way too serious. On the other hand, just remember most members of Congress are lawyers.

Lawyers, auto mechanics, contractors, investment advisors, etc. are inherently not trusted because they work in areas were laymen have very limited knowledge. We all know that it's no fun flying blind when large sums of money are at stake, so when things go bad it is easy to blame "unethical" types. Clearly there are many out there. Contractors are particularly maddening because 1) most are cash starved and want cash up front 2) intentionally overbook and juggle schedules to keep the pipe flowing, making it hard to pin them down; 3) have to rely on subs to make any sort of money at all. Most contractor issues are not due to unethical behavior, but more due to limited skills and knowledge, in my experience.

Being married to an attorney (corporate in house), I feel lucky that we will always have good representation if needed.
I am a contractor. If most people who have dealt with contractors believe we are unethical, I can believe one of two things:

1. There is some validity to the opinion on average.
2. The people with that opinion are all asses.

Construction is a very competitive market which tends to have profit margins in the 2-4% range. This means one mistake and you're in the red. Mistakes happen in every bid. So, most contractors in lowest bidder awards are battling to try and turn a profit. It is not hard to see how we can be perceived as doing everything possible to give as little value for the money as possible. Can we justify our actions to ourselves? Certainly. But that does not means that someone who holds that perception of me because of my career choice is an ass. It is a defensible opinion.

I am a contractor. If most people who have dealt with contractors believe we are unethical, I can believe one of two things:

1. There is some validity to the opinion on average.
2. The people with that opinion are all asses.

Construction is a very competitive market which tends to have profit margins in the 2-4% range. This means one mistake and you're in the red. Mistakes happen in every bid. So, most contractors in lowest bidder awards are battling to try and turn a profit. It is not hard to see how we can be perceived as doing everything possible to give as little value for the money as possible. Can we justify our actions to ourselves? Certainly. But that does not means that someone who holds that perception of me because of my career choice is an ass. It is a defensible opinion.
Exactly. It is tough business financially. It is hard to scope out jobs beforehand and get the estimate just right.

I think I have had better luck than most with contractors, largely because 1) I inform myself before hiring, doing lots of homework, and 2) I treat ones I hire like partners, not indentured servants. It is amazing how a little professionalism can go a long way to having a good expereince.

To be fair, I suspect part of the continuing dance around this issue being initiated by the Paterno kids to keep their mother happy. I'd figure Sue Paterno (like her husband) lived in an era where the toxic mix of pedophilia and homosexuality was unimaginable, and thus easy to deny when presented with evidence to the contrary. .

Great idea. Sue Paterno

Reactions: Fitz51
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT