ADVERTISEMENT

Payton Ramsey will play in Hula Bowl

After watching Philip Rivers play Buffalo, maybe there is a place for a below average arm in the NFL.
Accuracy and timing are much more important in the short to medium routes but I guess 17-18 years of NFL experience doesn't hurt either

Reactions: lunker35
Travel to Hawaii is difficult now. You must have a negative covid19 test done within 72 hours of your departure flight for Hawaii. They have a list of specific labs and very few can do the test and get the results back to you in time. CVS is an approved lab but their test took 8 days to come back. Believe it or not, CostCo's test does come back in time . You buy the test kit for $139. It is mailed to you then you request a "zoom" video time from the lab to confirm who was taking the test. Timing the video to get the specimen to the lab overnight and the results back in time is critical . Hawaii is rigid on the 72 hour rule and restaurants ask to see confirmation of your Hawaii Travel Card before they will seat you. Many of the famous restaurants in Lahaina have closed forever-Lahaina Grill, Longhi's

Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin
Is his arm strength below average? He has great ball placement, and was able to thread a few needles.

People on the board are sure he isn't a pro prospect?

I wonder if @Alaskawildkat is still visiting Hawaii?
Travel to Hawaii is difficult now. You must have a negative covid19 test done within 72 hours of your departure flight for Hawaii. They have a list of specific labs and very few can do the test and get the results back to you in time. CVS is an approved lab but their test took 8 days to come back. Believe it or not, CostCo's test does come back in time . You buy the test kit for $139. It is mailed to you then you request a "zoom" video time from the lab to confirm who was taking the test. Timing the video to get the specimen to the lab overnight and the results back in time is critical . Hawaii is rigid on the 72 hour rule and restaurants ask to see confirmation of your Hawaii Travel Card before they will seat you. Many of the famous restaurants in Lahaina have closed forever-Lahaina Grill, Longhi's

To respond and add to the above, while I won't be in Hawaii for the game it is being broadcast January 31st on CBS Sports. Hawaii game time is 4:30 PM so it would be 4 hours earlier Central Time.

I was surprised to see that the venue (Aloha Stadium) would still be available in which to play. No new events are being scheduled due to a major multi year renovation that has already forced the University of Hawaii to make their on campus practice field with 2500 seating capacity their new site for college home football games.

This Hula Bowl will likely be the last football game played at Aloha Stadium until the renovation is completed. I am guessing that fans allowed to attend will be extremely limited, if at all. Major tourist attractions such as the Polynesian Cultural Center on the North Shore remain closed. Thankfully the beaches are open and sites such as the Lighthouse trail on the Windward Side allow visitors. The climb up to the top of Dimond Head just became accessible in the past few weeks.

docrugby is correct about the hoops one must go through to avoid having to be quarantined for the first two weeks in Hawaii. We ended up going to a second testing facility after our first tests at Walgreens could not assure us of getting results back in time to comply with the 72 hour rule. Added words of advice - make sure you are getting your test from a Hawaii approved facility and that it is not the antibody type of test which Hawaii does not accept. In addition keep in mind that the 72 hour rule is measured based on your last departure from a mainland airport so if your flight leaves from say Chicago and you change planes in Los Angeles then you have to have had your test taken within 72 hours of the Los Angeles departure. (For this reason some have opted to simply travel to a West Coast destination where they stay a day or two and have their test taken there.)

Alaska Airlines and Hawaii Airlines can be helpful in helping you locate approved testing sites in California, Nevada, and Washington states that can get back timely results. Hawaii.gov has the necessary details with regard to the sites that Hawaii approves but they can't help as to the timeliness of those testing facilities getting results back. In addition Alaska Airlines will give you a wristband before you board which confirms you passed with a negative result and obviates the need to go through further processing once you arrive in Hawaii.

Last edited:
Reactions: ricko654321
Took some searching to locate it, but here is a photo of a rainbow over Aloha Stadium where the Hula Bowl honoring Ramsey and Raine will be played on the 31st.

(Photo credit to my NU graduated son for capturing the unique shot.)

IMG_6817_zpswajbysxp.jpg

Last edited:
Took some searching to locate it, but here is a photo of a rainbow over Aloha Stadium where the Hula Bowl honoring Ramsey and Raine will be played on the 31st.

IMG_6817_zpswajbysxp.jpg

I thought that stadium got condemned and could not host any more events?

I thought that stadium got condemned and could not host any more events?

This from the Honolulu paper:

"The Aloha Stadium Authority announced Thursday it has placed a “temporary moratorium” on new events and reduced operations at the venue due to ongoing COVID-19 safety restrictions and budgetary issues.

Stadium officials said in a news release that the pandemic restrictions have severely limited revenue- generation opportunities. Safety has also been an issue for the 50,000-seat stadium, which is to be replaced with a 35,000-seat venue in 2023 or 2024.

All events reserved prior to Thursday’s decision will still be honored, the authority said, including the Hula Bowl in January. Activities in the parking lot — including the drive-thru holiday wonderland fundraiser and Saturday swap meets — will continue."

No new events

IMG_6817_zpswajbysxp.jpg
AlaskaWC is trying to pull a fast one-that is a picture of St, Louis

AlaskaWC is trying to pull a fast one-that is a picture of St, Louis

Haven't been to the new Busch Memorial Stadium, but did get to hear the Beatles on tour at the old one. Actually, should correct that, I got to hear screaming girls for the duration of the performance.

IMG_3824_zpsksoapngi.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: drewjin
Drew Brees' arm strength isn't elite. He is just profoundly accurate. His 85 yard td pass in the waning seconds of the game to beat Nu while he was at purdue will haunt me for an eternity

If I recall, that 99-yarder (I still see it in my nightmares) came on a 3rd-and-long in a one-point game. NU makes a stop there, forces a punt from the end zone, and we can drive for a winning score with the great field position. Instead: disaster.

They have more QBs!
School
First Name
Last Name
Pos.
Mississippi StateKJCostelloQB
Central MichiganDavidMooreQB
NorthwesternPeytonRamseyQB
University Of TulsaZachSmithQB
University Of MemphisBradyWhiteQB

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
ADVERTISEMENT