ADVERTISEMENT

Pete Nance

clarificationcat

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
The Athletic had a pretty lengthy article about Pete Nance. It's a pay site so I can't link the article but he sounds like he will make an immediate impact, something we desperately need. A rival coach said he will play in the NBA and probably leave early. A high school scouting site said he was the best passer in Ohio. His high school coach said he is just scratching the surface and will probably be the best player ever to play at Northwestern. Even if he doesn't reach that level, I will be surprised if he is not a good B1G player. It was an encouraging article after an encouraging win.

The Athletic had a pretty lengthy article about Pete Nance. It's a pay site so I can't link the article but he sounds like he will make an immediate impact, something we desperately need. A rival coach said he will play in the NBA and probably leave early. A high school scouting site said he was the best passer in Ohio. His high school coach said he is just scratching the surface and will probably be the best player ever to play at Northwestern. Even if he doesn't reach that level, I will be surprised if he is not a good B1G player. It was an encouraging article after an encouraging win.
Great to hear. Tough to judge how good he is from his high school games because of the mediocre competition he plays against and teammates he plays with. Can't argue the bloodline though, Larry was one of my all time favorite Cavs and his big brother turned out pretty decent!!

Great to hear. Tough to judge how good he is from his high school games because of the mediocre competition he plays against and teammates he plays with. Can't argue the bloodline though, Larry was one of my all time favorite Cavs and his big brother turned out pretty decent!!
His tape is hard to judge. And, interestingly, he doesn't look overly athletic (from a speed and vertical jump perspective). He looks very skilled for his size (good dribbler and great passer). His shot looks good and he can get it off the dribble. Not a lot of rim shattering dunks or blazing speed like his brother and Dad. I am hoping he is still growing into his body and that will come as he gets older. He will definitely need to get stronger to play the 4. He and Kopp look like ballers, though. Guys who can score in a lot of different ways.

His tape is hard to judge. And, interestingly, he doesn't look overly athletic (from a speed and vertical jump perspective). He looks very skilled for his size (good dribbler and great passer). His shot looks good and he can get it off the dribble. Not a lot of rim shattering dunks or blazing speed like his brother and Dad. I am hoping he is still growing into his body and that will come as he gets older. He will definitely need to get stronger to play the 4. He and Kopp look like ballers, though. Guys who can score in a lot of different ways.

I recall that his brother had similar physical profile before college and then his body and game really evolved.

I think the Nance family is different. They are the "anti Balls." Focus is on life experience, education, building solid human beings. Pete Nance isn't a "hey look at me" player. I don't think bball is the top priority for anyone in that family. From what I read about the Kopps, same deal.

I think the Nance family is different. They are the "anti Balls." Focus is on life experience, education, building solid human beings..

Must be. Revere is the local public school system. He could easily go to one of the excellent private schools in Northeastern Ohio, or to a basketball academy, but I think he gets a more rounded experience at Revere. Good for him!!

Here is a video from a few days ago:

Seems like a nice kid, very well spoken.

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.c...party-for-revere-stymies-lutheran-east-52-50/

Here is an old human interest story on Larry and his wife, Jaynee.....

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19911201&slug=1320427

Larry Jr. overcame Crohn's Disease, a torn ACL and Mono....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...boys-mens-basketball-crohns-disease/22006799/

Larry Jr. was a "late bloomer" like his Dad:

At Revere, Nance was a 5-foot-11 guard on the freshman team; a 6-foot-1 backup guard on the junior varsity. Then he hit a growth spurt, turning into a 6-foot-4 junior forward and was nearly 6-foot-7 by his senior season.

"He had a late growth spurt, just like me," said Nance Sr. "I wasn't recruited, either."

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2015/03/wyomings_larry_nance_has_come.html
His 6'5" sister played for Dayton:

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/s...tar-nance-unsung-hero/jpAy5kJGBO2YpWy14AV1tL/

Last edited:

Give it time. Pete is indeed very skilled. But he is also very young in several ways. His physical development will be the key. His transition to a much higher level of competition will also dictate how far up the food chain he goes. The two will probably go hand in hand and take time. His future is as a free lancing forward ... something Collins is going to have to accommodate. Hope we don't have to ask him to be what he isn't. Best man at the position doesn't always mean best situation for the player. Instant impact? Hard for me to imagine. Still getting bigger and better several years from now? Likely. Extreme high end potential down the road and in the right situation? Absolutely

GOUNUII

Give it time. Pete is indeed very skilled. But he is also very young in several ways. His physical development will be the key. His transition to a much higher level of competition will also dictate how far up the food chain he goes. The two will probably go hand in hand and take time. His future is as a free lancing forward ... something Collins is going to have to accommodate. Hope we don't have to ask him to be what he isn't. Best man at the position doesn't always mean best situation for the player. Instant impact? Hard for me to imagine. Still getting bigger and better several years from now? Likely. Extreme high end potential down the road and in the right situation? Absolutely

GOUNUII
I am not saying he is going to be a star next year. But I think he will contribute next year and have an impact. Lots of freshmen for other teams contribute in meaningful ways and we need that to start happening again under Collins. I agree that he is far from a finished product. But he has nine months or so to continue to get stronger and continue to develop his game. With his basketball IQ and all-around game at his size, he should get minutes next year. How many will depend on his ability to rebound and guard 4s because there won't be many minutes available at the 3.

My Ohio friend suggests his game (with development) projects to Vic Law, which
would be nice. NBA early entrance or "best Northwestern player ever" seems to
be a bit of a stretch at this point in time but we can always dream. Rock on young
Pete Nance!! I will take 2nd best player in his family.

My Ohio friend suggests his game (with development) projects to Vic Law, which
would be nice. NBA early entrance or "best Northwestern player ever" seems to
be a bit of a stretch at this point in time but we can always dream. Rock on young
Pete Nance!! I will take 2nd best player in his family.

The Vic Law projection is an fair one. I project him a little higher with a better overall, more versatile skill set and 2-3 inches taller. Edge to Law on defense though.

GOUNUII

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT