ADVERTISEMENT

PETE NANCE

The guy absolutely stuffed the stat sheet tonight (how I was following along). Will be very interested to hear thoughts on his performance from people who were in attendance or watching on BTN Plus.

The guy absolutely stuffed the stat sheet tonight (how I was following along). Will be very interested to hear thoughts on his performance from people who were in attendance or watching on BTN Plus.
By far the best First Year on the floor.

I’ve never been as excited by an NU freshman. He’ll have some growing pains, but he’s smart and as good as advertised. Should be starting at the 4 soon and will finish as the best player at Northwestern in a long time. Not to put any pressure on him or anything.
And Robbie Beran is higher rated......

Even better in person. That wingspan is sick. Kid can do it all. He’s going to be a joy to watch. Wait til he adds another 20 pounds...look out.

Watched on BTN+. The kid just looks like an NBA player in his style and confidence. He was simply on another level from those around him. I'm actually being serious. Kid can play.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Watched on BTN+. The kid just looks like an NBA player in his style and confidence. He was simply on another level from those around him. I'm actually being serious. Kid can play.

It was evident in warm ups. Don’t think we’ve ever had anybody quite like him at NU.

I’ve never been as excited by an NU freshman. He’ll have some growing pains, but he’s smart and as good as advertised. Should be starting at the 4 soon and will finish as the best player at Northwestern in a long time. Not to put any pressure on him or anything.

Pretty awesome for NU that he put on a show like that in front of all those top 2020/2021 recruits.

Reactions: kreggk

I think the only reason he wasn't starting tonight was due to the size of the other team. We basically played small ball by design to match-up with them. BUT... we were actually much better with the second team. That stretch in the 1st half was really fun to watch. I know it is only an exhibition against a very poor team, but it was definitely satisfying.

The other thing that stood out to me was that the guys seem to have fun playing with each other. They definitely had a spark that I just don't recall seeing last year.

Nance was very impressive. In addition to his obvious physical skills, he also had nice court vision and movement into the right positions.

Even better in person. That wingspan is sick. Kid can do it all. He’s going to be a joy to watch. Wait til he adds another 20 pounds...look out.
Good seeing ya today buddy. Question, why was Nance only rated 66 best player? Kopp was 65 and imo Nance is already far superior. I have never seen a player here that is so basketball ready and athletic as him. Dude is going to have the new block record here by his junior year if he stays. I think we got him for 2 years.

It's late and I'm tired before a full day of NU tomorrow, so I'll keep it simple:

Those of you who weren't able to attend tonight will LOVE this guy. He's the real deal - size, athleticism, awareness, shot, quicks, handle. Gonna be really fun to watch him play.

I know it's not his thread, but I loved what I saw of AJ Turner, too. He was assertive and willing/able to take shots. Nice dose of athleticism there too.

Good seeing ya today buddy. Question, why was Nance only rated 66 best player? Kopp was 65 and imo Nance is already far superior. I have never seen a player here that is so basketball ready and athletic as him. Dude is going to have the new block record here by his junior year if he stays. I think we got him for 2 years.

Nance did not play vs even modest competition either in HS or on the AAU circuit. And he did not dominate. Was pencil thin and playing out of position without the benefit of a strong supporting cast. Think of him as a HS junior, when recruiting is critical, in an 8th grader’s body. The projection to becoming very good/great was always there. But it was a very rare, very long projection. Michigan and OSU and Purdue wanted him. But Nance is a different character. He played HS and AAU ball with his childhood buds. Spurning better basketball opportunities in the process. And he did the same to the BIG blue bloods, in favor of going where he felt he belonged. Humble self confidence at its best.

It appears that he has come a long way in a short time in his physical development. With much more to come. And he’s now playing at a position and with teammates that can showcase his scratch the surface level skills.

Seeing PBJ at the game with a N jacket on ... while watching Nance in a N uniform with Pardon and Law ... at the new WR ... was chilling for this long time fan. Thoughts of guys like Robbie B. joining next year all part of the experience. The Collins era’s immediate past, its present and visions of its future all wrapped up in one evening. All part of the Collins era. All unbelievable several short years ago.

One other thought. Don’t look past the 2020 class. We really need 2 high quality guard types in that class. The strength of our current and near term recruiting is in the wing forwards and bigs. Gotta score big with guards in 2020 before adding a couple of game changers in 2021.

No reason not to think big ... very big. The stars have aligned. It was all there in front of us tonight.

More reason to thank Dr. Jim and Morty and our very generous deep pocket donors.

GOUNUII

Last edited:
Nance did not play vs even modest competition either in HS or on the AAU circuit. And he did not dominate. Was pencil thin and playing out of position without the benefit of a strong supporting cast. Think of him as a HS junior, when recruiting is critical, in an 8th grader’s body. The projection to becoming very good/great was always there. But it was a very rare, very long projection. Michigan and OSU and Purdue wanted him. But Nance is a different character. He played HS and AAU ball with his childhood buds. Spurning better basketball opportunities in the process. And he did the same to the BIG blue bloods, in favor of going where he felt he belonged. Humble self confidence at its best.

It appears that he has come a long way in a short time in his physical development. With much more to come. And he’s now playing at a position and with teammates that can showcase his scratch the surface level skills.

Seeing PBJ at the game with a N jacket on ... while watching Nance in a N uniform with Pardon and Law ... at the new WR ... was chilling for this long time fan. Thoughts of guys like Robbie B. joining next year all part of the experience. The Collins era’s immediate past, its present and visions of its future all wrapped up in one evening. All part of the Collins era. All unbelievable several short years ago.

One other thought. Don’t look past the 2020 class. We really need 2 high quality guard types in that class. The strength of our current and near term recruiting is in the wing forwards and bigs. Gotta score big with guards in 2020 before adding a couple of game changers in 2021.

No reason not to think big ... very big. The stars have aligned. It was all there in front of us tonight.

More reason to thank Dr. Jim and Morty and our very generous deep pocket donors.

GOUNUII

Sounds like DJ Steward is your man. Perfect bridge to the 2021 class. No reason we shouldn’t be landing recruits from Whitney Young.

GOUNUII
Agree on all your points.

Having said that, I think PBJ will be NBA-bound when he graduates high school. The NBA CBA will be negotiated to permit high school grads to enter and play without needing a year of college or D League, and if he is as good as everyone says he'd be crazy not to go pro.

Having said that, I think PBJ will be NBA-bound when he graduates high school. The NBA CBA will be negotiated to permit high school grads to enter and play without needing a year of college or D League, and if he is as good as everyone says he'd be crazy not to go pro.
Sadly for our hopes and dreams, I think you are likely right on this one. The one-and-done days are nearly gone. If PBJ remains a Top 5 talent in HS, I can't imagine him not being a first round draft pick.

GOUNUII
While all true, I wanted to note something you said, "All unbelievable several short years ago."

I say with Smithee last night behind the bench and he used the term "This place is a dream". It sure seemed like it last night. I still can't believe it. Me and Alan Smithee toured the place early and it isn't a stretch to say that the upper deck seats = lower deck seats. The upper deck baseline seats are incredible with the giant video board right in front of you as you are right over the court. As far as the lower, our seats in 107, row 3 are pretty cool as we can hear Collins talking to the players and telling them what he wants done.

As far as Nance, his style of play is high energy/intensity. Moreso than any other current player. That will cut into his minutes so I'm guessing he plays about 24-27 minutes a game. Not a bad thing as I like his every second intensity and thorough knowledge of the game. His anticipation was like a 5th year senior.

And I haven't been to any practices but every time Nance, Taylor, or Turner attempted a long jumper, the NU bench rose to its feet almost as if they expected a bucket.

Sadly for our hopes and dreams, I think you are likely right on this one. The one-and-done days are nearly gone. If PBJ remains a Top 5 talent in HS, I can't imagine him not being a first round draft pick.
Right now he is ESPN #1. I do think he plays NCAA, at least one year. And I can't imagine him playing anywhere else but NU.

Your point is well taken and makes perfect sense. So the worse that can happen is that guys like Steward and Furst and Christie see in PBJ that NU is a legit place for the best prospects in the Country. Nothing bad can happen with PBJ rubbing elbows with other prospects on campus. All good. All part of the process of becoming a top option for top recruits.

GOUNUII

Sounds like DJ Steward is your man. Perfect bridge to the 2021 class. No reason we shouldn’t be landing recruits from Whitney Young.

Steward is good for sure. And we need WY players. But Torrence is the man IMHO in 2020. Both have been offered and have been on campus. Torrence is less likely to choose NU being from the East Coast. But OMG he would be a special ... instant impact stud at a much needed position. A true lead guard in the vision of what Collins wants that position to be.

Be happy with Steward. Another step up the ladder. Get crazy with Torrence.

GOUNUII

Steward is good for sure. And we need WY players. But Torrence is the man IMHO in 2020. Both have been offered and have been on campus. Torrence is less likely to choose NU being from the East Coast. But OMG he would be a special ... instant impact stud at a much needed position. A true lead guard in the vision of what Collins wants that position to be.

Be happy with Steward. Another step up the ladder. Get crazy with Torrence.

GOUNUII

Are we still in on Adam Miller for the 2020 class?

Agree with you, 2020 class will be important, particularly at guard. Greer and Buie are solid players in their own right. But if we land a Top 25-50 type to pair with juniors Nance and Kopp, and sophomore Beran ... look out.

Miller is the Morgan Park guard who is supposed to be terrific. haven't seen him play.

Similar to Whitney Young, Morgan Park kids should look at NU....MPHS is one of the better academic schools in CPS.

Miller is the Morgan Park guard who is supposed to be terrific. haven't seen him play.

Similar to Whitney Young, Morgan Park kids should look at NU....MPHS is one of the better academic schools in CPS.
Thank you as a class of 1973 Mustang grad, I'd like to say I resemble that remark. I'd like to but in honestly I was a lazy student. It was easy to slide by if you were a kid with educated parents. Lots of advantages just having Encyclopedias in the house.

Thank you as a class of 1973 Mustang grad, I'd like to say I resemble that remark. I'd like to but in honestly I was a lazy student. It was easy to slide by if you were a kid with educated parents. Lots of advantages just having Encyclopedias in the house.

Four siblings went to MPHS.

And we had a set of Encyclopedias that we grew up with in a special-made bookcase that came w the set.....published before there were 50 states, but a great resource. I think a brother still has them.

Four siblings went to MPHS.

And we had a set of Encyclopedias that we grew up with in a special-made bookcase that came w the set.....published before there were 50 states, but a great resource. I think a brother still has them.
I lived at 94th and Winchester. you?

I lived at 94th and Winchester. you?

one block over....on pleasant ave

working at Sobee's paid for education

you may have moved away, but Louis Farrakhan move onto 94th and Damen about the time you graduated HS

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT