ADVERTISEMENT

PFF Has Some Thoughts on Cats' Recruiting Needs

Hungry Jack

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2008
the cotton fields and bus shelters
www.cbc.ca
I like Pro Football Focus analyses, though I must admit to not mastering their metrics. They are doing a series of each P5 school's recruiting needs by conference.

I won't link the content, but it's easy to find in Google. They don't mince words about the Cats, noting that the biggest need is not so much recruiting talent, but improved OL performance. Shocking, right? They basically say that every job should be open right now. I don't really disagree, though I think we are probably pretty certain about at least four starters (Hance at LT, Butler at LG, North at C, Doles at either RG or maybe RT).

I like Pro Football Focus analyses, though I must admit to not mastering their metrics. They are doing a series of each P5 school's recruiting needs by conference.

I won't link the content, but it's easy to find in Google. They don't mince words about the Cats, noting that the biggest need is not so much recruiting talent, but improved OL performance. Shocking, right? They basically say that every job should be open right now. I don't really disagree, though I think we are probably pretty certain about at least four starters (Hance at LT, Butler at LG, North at C, Doles at either RG or maybe RT).

Why wouldn't you just link to the article (CLICK HERE)? It's free...

Northwestern: Offensive line
Northwestern’s big need is less about attrition, and more about performance. The 2016 Wildcat line did not feature a player with an above-average grade on run or pass blocks, and three of the five starters gave up more than 35 total QB pressures. Northwestern needs an open competition at every offensive line position, and unless last year’s returnees show significant improvements throughout spring practices, any incoming freshman on the line is likely to have a real opportunity at winning a starting spot.
I happen to disagree with them. Hance is a pretty decent player (albeit turned in a clunker against ISU) and I think Doles has a chance to be pretty good at either guard or tackle next season. For my money, losing Olson will be addition-by-subtraction.

Why wouldn't you just link to the article (CLICK HERE)? It's free...

Northwestern: Offensive line
Northwestern’s big need is less about attrition, and more about performance. The 2016 Wildcat line did not feature a player with an above-average grade on run or pass blocks, and three of the five starters gave up more than 35 total QB pressures. Northwestern needs an open competition at every offensive line position, and unless last year’s returnees show significant improvements throughout spring practices, any incoming freshman on the line is likely to have a real opportunity at winning a starting spot.
I happen to disagree with them. Hance is a pretty decent player (albeit turned in a clunker against ISU) and I think Doles has a chance to be pretty good at either guard or tackle next season. For my money, losing Olson will be addition-by-subtraction.
I was not sure if it was OK to link it. Noted for next time.

I don't think Hance was particularly good last year, so based on performance, I think PFF makes some valid points. There were enough clunkers (ISU, WI, Minny) that it would be hard to give the oline good marks for overall play in 2016. The pass protection was poor, even vs. Pitt, and that has to get better.

Man, when your biggest need is a single position, Center, you are living large......

I don't follow...

Ohio State: Center
Pat Elflein was one of the top guards in the country in 2015, and because of his experience, was asked to slide inside to center for the 2016 campaign. While he had another solid year in run blocking, he was not as effective on pass blocking (16 total pressures allowed). He departs for the NFL, and the Buckeyes have already announced intentions to move Billy Price, their best returning lineman for 2017, inside to replace Elflein. Price will likely prove to be just as capable of changing positions as Elflein was this season, but would probably be better served being kept at guard. In order to prevent shuffling in the future, Ohio State should consider pursuing a top-end target at the position. This would help to improve the overall continuity of the line, something that appeared to be lacking at critical points during the 2016 season.

Ohio State: Center
Pat Elflein was one of the top guards in the country in 2015, and because of his experience, was asked to slide inside to center for the 2016 campaign. While he had another solid year in run blocking, he was not as effective on pass blocking (16 total pressures allowed). He departs for the NFL, and the Buckeyes have already announced intentions to move Billy Price, their best returning lineman for 2017, inside to replace Elflein. Price will likely prove to be just as capable of changing positions as Elflein was this season, but would probably be better served being kept at guard. In order to prevent shuffling in the future, Ohio State should consider pursuing a top-end target at the position. This would help to improve the overall continuity of the line, something that appeared to be lacking at critical points during the 2016 season.

Considering the constant hype about Ohio State, I wasn't blown away by their o-line this past season. We hung in there with them and easily could have beaten them this year, they weren't that great against Penn State in a game that I witnessed, and of course Clemson made mincemeat of them in the bowl game.

Considering the constant hype about Ohio State, I wasn't blown away by their o-line this past season. We hung in there with them and easily could have beaten them this year, they weren't that great against Penn State in a game that I witnessed, and of course Clemson made mincemeat of them in the bowl game.
That was a young group that got schooled by seasoned high quality opponents (read Clemson). They should get considerably better, as there is a LOT of talent there. Urban himself said he thought his team "arrived" a year early, meaning that he thought it would take his young line more time to develop. After losing 6 first round picks in 2016, this was a year for OSU to redevelop. The fact that they made the playoff speaks volumes about their talent and coaching.

The fact that they made the playoff speaks volumes about their talent and coaching.

Or the hype and bias of the committee. I'm tired of the Buckeyes always being given the benefit of the doubt...based on the program's high level of visibility. They always recruit top talent, but that doesn't make them the best, as proven by Ped State and Clemson.

Or the hype and bias of the committee. I'm tired of the Buckeyes always being given the benefit of the doubt...based on the program's high level of visibility. They always recruit top talent, but that doesn't make them the best, as proven by Ped State and Clemson.
Yeah, they weren't ready to be on the same field as Clemson, and maybe PSU was. But it is easy to look at the playoff result ex post and say "The Bucks are overrated!!!" The transitive property logjam of the Big Ten this year made the committee selection an impossible one. That's going to happen from time to time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT