ADVERTISEMENT

PFF ranks NU's offensive line 47th best in FBS

This leaves me dazed and confused.(nothing to do with Illinois Law change)....If somebody had asked me I would have said we had 30 and up....and also does this help us better define where the problem was? Aiden Smith ranked 123/130 but had better ranking than Hunter Johnson. I am guessing that Marty did not have enough snaps to be mentioned.

Doesn't college have the rule where if the QB tucks the ball and starts running, it no longer counts as a sack? If so, that might also explain why a lot of us feel like that number was higher. Our QBs tucked and tried to run an awful lot.

Can you really use “best” and “48th” together?
It’s better than “83rd worst”.

Given that conference play is what mostly matters: if these rankings are to be believed, we were 8th in the B1G based on my quick scan.

So it’s likely an improvement over 2018. Let’s hope Anderson keeps the unit trending upwards.

Take PFF's O-line grades/rankings w/ a grain of salt (esp. when considering the limited # of pass attempts), but nonetheless, things are looking brighter when it comes to the O-line.

Doesn't college have the rule where if the QB tucks the ball and starts running, it no longer counts as a sack? If so, that might also explain why a lot of us feel like that number was higher. Our QBs tucked and tried to run an awful lot.

Colter had one of the higher sack rates.

Last edited:
Remember the first month - or more - of the season when the constant drumming on this board was that the O-line sucked?

Remember the first month - or more - of the season when the constant drumming on this board was that the O-line sucked?

They were bad all year although they improved. Slater is the outlier of an OL group which had at least 2 and likely 3 OL starters that would not have started for any other team in the Big Ten.

They were bad all year although they improved. Slater is the outlier of an OL group which had at least 2 and likely 3 OL starters that would not have started for any other team in the Big Ten.

Seems harsh. Not a Moneyball stat worshiper? Damn numbers lie!

Seems harsh. Not a Moneyball stat worshiper? Damn numbers lie!

Stats never tell the whole story. That being said, it doesn’t take much expertise to reach the same conclusion about our OL play last year. They went from terrible to just plain bad.

My thought on that is that as good as Slater is....he is still getting good coaching to be #1....lot of guys with all the physical tools that do not come close to being #1....I guess my point is that while the whole offensive line did not have the physical tools or experience Slater did....his ranking are still an indication that getting Anderson as offensive line coach has been and will be a plus

Reactions: corbi296
My thought on that is that as good as Slater is....he is still getting good coaching to be #1....lot of guys with all the physical tools that do not come close to being #1....I guess my point is that while the whole offensive line did not have the physical tools or experience Slater did....his ranking are still an indication that getting Anderson as offensive line coach has been and will be a plus

Pretty good tackle, potentially excellent guard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT