ADVERTISEMENT

PFF says CT and B1G Ern led the way...

More on Thorson:

Dv3_87NW0AAuGil.jpg:large

OK. Clue me in, what is a “passer rating while clean?” Does it have something to do with use of that little towel quarterbacks have hanging from their belt?
Not sure, but some guys shower at halftime. For schools like OSU, it might have something to do with their rap sheets.

I think Big E has arrived. He will be a force next year.

Best part is I think he still has the potential to get bigger and more physical. He still somehow looks like a "skinny" 6-5 254.

I'm sure the staff hoped to make him the next Corey Wootton when he signed. Good news is that seems to be happening in front of our eyes.

Best part is I think he still has the potential to get bigger and more physical. He still somehow looks like a "skinny" 6-5 254.

I'm sure the staff hoped to make him the next Corey Wootton when he signed. Good news is that seems to be happening in front of our eyes.

Let's put 30lbs on him to slow him down:(

Because it sure slowed down Wootton?

The Strength and Conditioning guys are professionals for a reason.
It slowed down Anthony Walker for a period of time... they are professionals, but they aren't perfect. That said, I agree with you that Brown could probably benefit from a bit more weight.

Btw, just checked and Corey Wootton is listed as 6'6" 270 in the last NFL roster I can find... so really not far off from Earnest Brown's current proportions.

It slowed down Anthony Walker for a period of time... they are professionals, but they aren't perfect. That said, I agree with you that Brown could probably benefit from a bit more weight.

Btw, just checked and Corey Wootton is listed as 6'6" 270 in the last NFL roster I can find... so really not far off from Earnest Brown's current proportions.

Pretty certain he bulked up on his own, before coming to Northwestern. Coaches had to spend time getting rid of it.

... because Anthony Walker put on 50 pounds on his own before ever setting foot on NU's campus and not under the supervision of NU's S&C staff. He basically took himself from 205 as a high school senior to 250+ because he thought "bigger is better" in terms of playing B1G/P5 football. He spent his redshirt year burning off the "bad weight" he put on so that it could be replaced by the "good weight" he would have added had he been working with professional S&C staff.

Wootton was a legit 6060 270 at the NU pro day; Big Ern has probably 15 pounds to go in order to legitimately hit that weight.

It took Woot about two years to develop that game strength. He was a monster when fully grown. I was in Nookies in Lincoln Park one morning when he walked in with his fiancée, then a DePaul student. It was like an eclipse. He filled the doorway.

... because Anthony Walker put on 50 pounds on his own before ever setting foot on NU's campus and not under the supervision of NU's S&C staff. He basically took himself from 205 as a high school senior to 250+ because he thought "bigger is better" in terms of playing B1G/P5 football. He spent his redshirt year burning off the "bad weight" he put on so that it could be replaced by the "good weight" he would have added had he been working with professional S&C staff.

Wootton was a legit 6060 270 at the NU pro day; Big Ern has probably 15 pounds to go in order to legitimately hit that weight.
I was referring to the slight drop off in playing speed we saw from his sophomore year (excellent stats) to his junior year (still very good stats, but a step back). When he bulked up from like 225 to 250 or something like that? Don't recall the specifics but I remember us commenting on it from the preseason camp pictures that year and some raising questions. But then after that season I believe he shed a bit of weight before the NFL draft process, perhaps acknowledging that he'd gotten too big. I'm not trying to crap on NU S&C folks who I'm sure are great, just saying that there is risk to adding weight, and they and/or the players don't necessarily get their bodies to optimal size / condition every time. One can assert that Earnest should likely add 10-15 lbs without completely dismissing the risks associated with doing that.

Fwiw, he also might have been fighting other injuries that Jr year that contributed to the slight drop off in speed. And additional attention from offenses also likely contributed to a modest drop-off in production. Fyi Anthony is listed at 242 on the Colts roster right now, vs 238 when he entered the draft. He's been playing fairly well this season.

It took Woot about two years to develop that game strength. He was a monster when fully grown. I was in Nookies in Lincoln Park one morning when he walked in with his fiancée, then a DePaul student. It was like an eclipse. He filled the doorway.

His wife is also about 6'4'' - gonna have some tall children...

Reactions: epicbret

She was also good enough to be drafted into the WNBA, though doesn't appear to have made a career of basketball.

Let's take their firstborn son's commitment right now.

I was referring to the slight drop off in playing speed we saw from his sophomore year (excellent stats) to his junior year (still very good stats, but a step back). When he bulked up from like 225 to 250 or something like that? Don't recall the specifics but I remember us commenting on it from the preseason camp pictures that year and some raising questions. But then after that season I believe he shed a bit of weight before the NFL draft process, perhaps acknowledging that he'd gotten too big. I'm not trying to crap on NU S&C folks who I'm sure are great, just saying that there is risk to adding weight, and they and/or the players don't necessarily get their bodies to optimal size / condition every time. One can assert that Earnest should likely add 10-15 lbs without completely dismissing the risks associated with doing that.

Fwiw, he also might have been fighting other injuries that Jr year that contributed to the slight drop off in speed. And additional attention from offenses also likely contributed to a modest drop-off in production. Fyi Anthony is listed at 242 on the Colts roster right now, vs 238 when he entered the draft. He's been playing fairly well this season.

Didn't stop Walker from turning in a fantastic combine performance (1.57 10-yard and 2.67 20-yard are very explosive, especially for a guy who weighed 238).

And yes, Walker bulked back up a bit between his sophomore and junior years but the "game speed" loss probably had as much to do with losing Lowry, Gibson, etc. in front of him that kept him quite clean in 2015 compared to 2016.

She was also good enough to be drafted into the WNBA, though doesn't appear to have made a career of basketball.

Let's take their firstborn son's commitment right now.

Unfortunately, they just had one girl last time I saw them. McKeown will be happy...

Didn't stop Walker from turning in a fantastic combine performance (1.57 10-yard and 2.67 20-yard are very explosive, especially for a guy who weighed 238).

And yes, Walker bulked back up a bit between his sophomore and junior years but the "game speed" loss probably had as much to do with losing Lowry, Gibson, etc. in front of him that kept him quite clean in 2015 compared to 2016.
Well yes, my point was that him dropping a bit of weight after the season to prep for the combine was perhaps indicative that maybe he had gotten slightly too bulked up before the prior year.

Regardless, excited for Earnest Brown's promising future!

So what do you think would be an optimum weight to start next year? Good weight of course.

I know when Big Ern was a recruit you cautioned people to slow their roll on him making a quick impact. He seems to be right on schedule now.

So what do you think would be an optimum weight to start next year? Good weight of course.

I know when Big Ern was a recruit you cautioned people to slow their roll on him making a quick impact. He seems to be right on schedule now.

Probably another 10-15 pounds to get into the 270-275 range.

He was recruited as a long, explosive athlete with room for development. Happy to see the results starting to take shape.

If he's gets to 275 with his speed, size and agility... that's pretty terrifying actually.

I was at a women’s game vs DePaul at W-R when Mrs. Wooton was a senior. Fitz had recently had a baby, and was there with his family. He walked down to the floor holding the baby, and was talking to Deidre (I think that’s her name). He walked over to a group of us, and said “I’m recruiting their fetus.”

CW is the only player i’ve Seen who was just as big off the field out of pads as he was on the field

Reactions: DaCat
I was at a women’s game vs DePaul at W-R when Mrs. Wooton was a senior. Fitz had recently had a baby, and was there with his family. He walked down to the floor holding the baby, and was talking to Deidre (I think that’s her name). He walked over to a group of us, and said “I’m recruiting their fetus.”

CW is the only player i’ve Seen who was just as big off the field out of pads as he was on the field

Felicia Chester.

I was lucky enough to meet Woot in the field after one of the spring games. Got my picture with him. I look like a child next to him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT