ADVERTISEMENT

Pick 3 of these 9 NU players

freewillie07

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2017

JJ is unanimous.

Then probably AWalk.

I think there’s a tendency to pick a QB as a third, but I’m not so sure.

Who you got?

Who they? Can pick out most but not sure on a couple.

1) Clayton
2) Dan Vitale
3) Anthony Walker
4) Austin Carr
5) JJ The Ballcarrier
6) Dean Lowry
7) Ifeadi Odenigbo
8) Jeff Budzien
9) Trevor

My picks if I were starting a new NU team with Fitz era players: JJ, Austin, Budzien - the reason is we've had good depth at many positions, but have struggled with RB, WR, and PK.

My picks if we were selecting the best of this bunch: JJ, Austin, Anthony.

AWalk, ACarr and JJ

All just special athletes with skills we rarely see at NU.

1) Clayton
2) Dan Vitale
3) Anthony Walker
4) Austin Carr
5) JJ The Ballcarrier
6) Dean Lowry
7) Ifeadi Odenigbo
8) Jeff Budzien
9) Trevor

My picks if I were starting a new NU team with Fitz era players: JJ, Austin, Budzien - the reason is we've had good depth at many positions, but have struggled with RB, WR, and PK.

My picks if we were selecting the best of this bunch: JJ, Austin, Anthony.
thanks I wasn't sure about Vitale, Carr and Odenigbo.

AWalk looks like a DB in that photo!

Budzien over Lanny and/or Hartage is a shame.[/QUOTE]
Coral;
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one on the board who's got a Budzien jersey. :rolleyes: Now call me nuts if you like, and I won't argue 'cause I'd probably lose, but I've always had a soft spot for kickers (and if our old friend Shakes is reading this, he's probably getting the shakes) and Budzien - by virtue of hitting something like 42 of his last 45 attempts (FG, not PAT's) - is likely the best Northwestern's ever had. That said, I certainly understand the argument for "position" players.

Coral;
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one on the board who's got a Budzien jersey. :rolleyes: Now call me nuts if you like, and I won't argue 'cause I'd probably lose, but I've always had a soft spot for kickers (and if our old friend Shakes is reading this, he's probably getting the shakes) and Budzien - by virtue of hitting something like 42 of his last 45 attempts (FG, not PAT's) - is likely the best Northwestern's ever had. That said, I certainly understand the argument for "position" players.

I wouldn't downplay the importance of a good placekicker. He's the career leader in points for NU, so he won a lot of games for us.

Reactions: drewjin
1 3 5

I’ll admit, I think of Walker as #1, even though he was better as #18. That #1 thing is cool, and I want another star to grab it.

Meh...Kerrigan was no Sandy Schwab. Schwab had significant talent. Between the lines.
Kerrigan didn't have Chris Hinton at LT, and therefore, actual protection. Kerrigan was ok in my freshman year, 1980, then the wheels fell of in 1981. Schwab in 82 was a huge upgrade in performance. Anyone know why his performance declined after this?

Schwab in 82 was a huge upgrade in performance. Anyone know why his performance declined after this?

giphy.gif

Kerrigan didn't have Chris Hinton at LT, and therefore, actual protection. Kerrigan was ok in my freshman year, 1980, then the wheels fell of in 1981. Schwab in 82 was a huge upgrade in performance. Anyone know why his performance declined after this?
Lots of snow after '82 may have been the reason.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Lots of snow after '82 may have been the reason.

Mike Greenfield won the job eventually from Charles Schwab Jr (Sandy). Here is a Trib article heading into the 1985 season, Schwab's senior year.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1985-08-29-8502260564-story.html

Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Northwestern Big Ten QB 11 234 416 56.3 2735 6.6 5.1 14 20 113.0
1983 Northwestern Big Ten QB 9 188 334 56.3 1838 5.5 3.3 6 19 97.1
1984 Northwestern Big Ten QB 7 93 198 47.0 845 4.3 2.4 2 9 77.1
1985 Northwestern Big Ten QB 5 18 27 66.7 261 9.7 8.7 1 1 152.7
Career Northwestern 533 975 54.7 5679 5.8 4.0 23 49 101.3

s-l500.jpg

I wouldn't downplay the importance of a good placekicker. He's the career leader in points for NU, so he won a lot of games for us.
Just think about what the lack of a clutch placekicker cost us last year

So what was it that kept Budzien from making it in the NFL? Was it distance, leg strength? Certainly wouldn't figure it to have been accuracy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT