ADVERTISEMENT

Please refresh my memory on the Hankwitz hiring

NUCat320

Dec 4, 2005
He was DC at Wisconsin in 2006 and 07.

How did he wind up at NU?

Without a doubt, pursuing Hank is Fitz's best move as a head coach.

(Also - Greg Colby is DC at CMU now. Who knew?!)

He was DC at Wisconsin in 2006 and 07.

How did he wind up at NU?

Without a doubt, pursuing Hank is Fitz's best move as a head coach.

(Also - Greg Colby is DC at CMU now. Who knew?!)
Fitz called Bielema to ask about Doeren back when he and Hank were co-DCs at Wisc. (Actually Hank was primary DC and Doeren was co-DC). Bielema promoted Doeren to sole DC and let Hank go, so Fitz took Hank.

Last edited:
There was also a Gary Barnett connection. At Colorado, Hank was the DC of their national championship team in 1990 (and Gary was OC of that team). Fitz hired Hank on a strong recommendation from Gary.

Fitz called Bielema to ask about Doeren back when he and Hank were co-DCs at Wisc. (Actually Hank was primary DC and Doeren was co-DC). Bielema promoted Doeren to sole DC and let Hank go, so Fitz took Hank.
Not a bad booby prize. And even if we had gotten Deoren, he would not have been here long

There was also a Gary Barnett connection. At Colorado, Hank was the DC of their national championship team in 1990 (and Gary was OC of that team). Fitz hired Hank on a strong recommendation from Gary.

I tend to forget that about Hankwitz. Not a bad thing to have on your resume -- DC of the national champions. Indeed we were fortunate that we got Hank, thanks to Bielema.

Doeren was going to leave if he he was not made DC. He had a lot of interest from a variety of schools, justifiably so as it turns out. Hank and Bielema were not a good match.

I love that Hank has been such a strong DC for NU. Not just for NU's sake but I know what it is like to get cut loose for a young up and comer. Takes a while to get your Mojo back.

Not a bad booby prize. And even if we had gotten Deoren, he would not have been here long
Doeren was going to leave if he he was not made DC. He had a lot of interest from a variety of schools, justifiably so as it turns out. Hank and Bielema were not a good match.
Yeah, I tend to think it worked out for the best for us that Bielema kept Doeren and let Hank go (and get picked up by us).

If Doeren had come here when Fitz called about him, I think Doeren would have been out of here at the first bowl win. After a season like 2012, Doeren would have had a MAC or equivalent HC offer.

Hank has instead been a rock here for at least a half-decade longer than Doeren would've been, so all-in-all it's hard to complain that Fitz got his "second choice" when it's been a perfect fit for him here.

Reactions: DaCat
Hank was the aged cheddar to Colby's moldy Swiss cheese. Moldy in the sense that Fitz waited way too long to make this move. Hoping he is not making the same mistake with OL coaching. Colby's defense was a real drag on what were some pretty darn good offenses.

Hank was the aged cheddar to Colby's moldy Swiss cheese. Moldy in the sense that Fitz waited way too long to make this move. Hoping he is not making the same mistake with OL coaching. Colby's defense was a real drag on what were some pretty darn good offenses.
Amen, Brother! Take a stroll down memory lane and watch the Sun Bowl debacle. With a stud like Barry Cofield on the d-line, we choked on a twenty-two point lead and lost. The whole experience of NU football has been transformed on Hank’s watch.

Shorter tenure than Hankwitz, but will take Vanderlinden's NU D's. They were tremendous for 2 straight years that led to 2 straight BT championships.

Shorter tenure than Hankwitz, but will take Vanderlinden's NU D's. They were tremendous for 2 straight years that led to 2 straight BT championships.

Will take Hankwitz. He's had championship defenses as well. He's coached top defenses at multiple schools. The 1995 defense was really special, but I think Hank's had a couple defenses better than the 1996 defense. We were soft in the secondary after the seniors graduated from the 1995 defense.

Will take Hankwitz. He's had championship defenses as well. He's coached top defenses at multiple schools. The 1995 defense was really special, but I think Hank's had a couple defenses better than the 1996 defense. We were soft in the secondary after the seniors graduated from the 1995 defense.
The game is totally different today. Spread concepts and RPO require a different approach and Hank has proven he can adapt.

ADVERTISEMENT