ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Are you hoping for a OSU national Championship? The fans wanna know

No, but for different reasons. I really like Mariota and would love to see him go out on top. Additionally, it would be nice to see a non-traditional power/SEC west school win the title for a change.

Oregon is just plain out fun to watch.

This post was edited on 1/3 4:02 AM by ColumbusCatFan1

This question wouldn't even exist if they did things the right way.

Go Bucks. It is goof for the conference which is good for NU. It will require NU to make better efforts to compete. When we go to recruit, NU can say if you come to the B10, you will compete for and against schools that play for national championships.

I was pulling for OSU against 'Bama, but now I want to see Oregon win. The Buckeyes (and the B1G) have proven that they can beat the big boys of the SEC (and, most delightfully, the SEC is shut out of the title game), but now I want them to lose.

Now that Alabama is out of the way, my emotions are not nearly as high. But I will root for OSU because:

1. They are the underdog and I generally root for the underdog.
2. They are the B1G and I would like the conference to have a winning bowl record.
3. I think an NC would be icing on the cake of a really good bowl season for the B1G which is the first one in a long time.
4. A winning bowl season and an NC for the B1G along with a poorer than expected showing from the SEC will make Mark May's head explode.

No, because I have a rooting interest for Oregon, but can see upside if a B1G team wins the championship.

Yes because I got money on the line. Otherwise, yes. Because the B1G shares in the wealth and Northwestern has a sit at that table.

What's good for Ohio State is good for B1G is good for Northwestern - and all these victories thus far should be weighted and carry due influence in the rankings next season, thereby elevating the chances that the next B1G candidate will participate in the current Power 5 but 4 slot playoff format.

There are some on the board who can't vote in this poll. Choice #2 says can't support them ever. I believe some who cheered on OSU last week are for the Ducks this week.

Originally posted by StreamCat:
There are some on the board who can't vote in this poll. Choice #2 says can't support them ever. I believe some who cheered on OSU last week are for the Ducks this week.
Good call, Stream. I might be in that camp.

How would OSU performing poorly help NU in any way. Oregon is no better. Being from Ohio, most OSU fans like NU and realize we add a lot to the conference. Their presence at Ryan Field may not suggest that, but it is true. I root for all Big 10 schools in the nonconference although no sorrow for Purdue, Iowa or illinois.

Originally posted by ToledoCat:
How would OSU performing poorly help NU in any way. Oregon is no better. Being from Ohio, most OSU fans like NU and realize we add a lot to the conference. Their presence at Ryan Field may not suggest that, but it is true. I root for all Big 10 schools in the nonconference although no sorrow for Purdue, Iowa or illinois.
I can only speak for myself, Toledo, but I don't know that it's necessarily a matter of it helping Northwestern, per se. It's more a matter of disdain for what OSU's athletic program (and in particular, football) stands for, relative to the rest of the Big Ten.

My head tells me I should root for Ohio State...benefits the conference, our conference football factory is no more dishonorable than theirs so it might as well be us, etc. My heart tells me that I dislike most Ohio State fans I've ever meet and continue to encounter. It also seems, by all accounts, that Marcus Mariota is the kind of guy for whom we should all be rooting in this cesspool of college athletics.

Perhaps if we were playing Ohio State on the schedule next year or we were in the conversation to have "a win over the national champs" I'd be more inclined to root for them, but we could just as easily (or just as unlikely) play the Ducks in the Rose Bowl next year...so I'll just root for a fun game to watch as a fan.

I understand dislike for OSU. Not sure the Oregon culture is much different.

But an OSU victory kills the Big Ten sucks narrative. True, it may also feed the OSU monster. But as we have discovered- with Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma, FSU et al, no program lasts indomitable forever.

So the Ducks offer Nathan Fox , one of Nu's commits, and you can't see the advantage of OSU beating them and being the National Champs.

I hope Oregon pummels, destroys and eviscerates tOSU. While at some slim margin it may help NU if the perception is that the Big Ten is stronger than believed, now that tOSU has made it to the NC game and the Big Ten has fared well in other high-profile Bowls, my disdain for tOSU takes over.

And, I doubt any recruits would react to a tOSU victory with "hey, the Big Ten is better than I thought...I think I'll look into Northwestern" or "hey, maybe the Cats' 5-7 record was deceiving..."

Originally posted by AtlantaCat:

I hope Oregon pummels, destroys and eviscerates tOSU. While at some slim margin it may help NU if the perception is that the Big Ten is stronger than believed, now that tOSU has made it to the NC game and the Big Ten has fared well in other high-profile Bowls, my disdain for tOSU takes over.

And, I doubt any recruits would react to a tOSU victory with "hey, the Big Ten is better than I thought...I think I'll look into Northwestern" or "hey, maybe the Cats' 5-7 record was deceiving..."
Vanderbilt fans said that for years. Perhaps their recruits did as well to some degree.

I choose not to disclose who I am rooting for in the NC Game. But you might be able to take a guess.

Originally posted by klemman:

I choose not to disclose who I am rooting for in the NC Game. But you might be able to take a guess.
Likely the same team for which I'll be screaming my head off.

Many folks ask, "Hey, what's a buckeye?" Well, growing up in Ohio, I'll advise. tOSU mascot is the buckeye tree/nut. Yep, it's a tree. I spent many hours as a kid in a huge buckeye tree at the end of my street. The field happened to have three of these lovely trees. We would pound nails into the trunk allowing us to climb into the tree. They branch like crazy so for a kid they are great for climbing and permit the building of forts with the lumber you carry up into them.

The buckeye tree throws off nuts -- tOSU mascot is actually a nut. Within a tough outer husk is the actual fruit or nut of the buckeye. The nuts turn a deep brown -- like a dark walnut in color. They shine. Pretty. But, for a kid they are perfect for shooting out of a sling shot. Many a fun time sling shot shooting the nuts. Also, you can string them into a pretty necklace.

Well, for those interested ^^^.

and, Go Cats !!
This post was edited on 1/8 9:16 AM by NU 71 72 74

I was bored stiff reading this until you mentioned their use as projectiles for sling shots. I'd love to shoot buckeyes at OSU fans from the upper deck if I could get away with it.

My interpretation of the poll results thus far:

18 true Purple Patriots who understand what we represent and what dOSU represents 66 confused or myopic participants who do not realize what dOSU is or who have sold their Purple souls to the devil, and a bunch of dOSU fans here to sabotage the poll results.

Glads -- A major league sling shot (the one with a wrap around forearm piece) loaded up with a buckeye nut is actually quite dangerous -- just ask the squirrels in my neighborhood growing up. Probably not a good idea to point it at a Buckeye fan -- save it for the SEC imo.

and, Go Cats !!

Originally posted by NU 71 72 74:
Glads -- A major league sling shot (the one with a wrap around forearm piece) loaded up with a buckeye nut is actually quite dangerous -- just ask the squirrels in my neighborhood growing up. Probably not a good idea to point it at a Buckeye fan -- save it for the SEC imo.

and, Go Cats !!
I realize they're powerful. I still have one sitting around in the back storage room that I used for collecting dragon flies on the wing.

Here's my SEC/Buckeye fan slingshot . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm5YOYrRejY

Glads -- Thanks for the video. Neat slingshot -- love the large round ball ammo. Best I have laying around is .45 and .50 caliber round ball. I suspect a stash of buckeyes would be less expensive than the lead he's using. Less accurate too.

Uber -- over in his land they are likely reduced to carrying knives and slingshots.

and, Go Cats !!

I am an NU grad, but being born and raised in Columbus, I grew up an Ohio State fan. One year Illinois rose up and beat every big ten team and went to the Rose Bowl. At the time, I was 'annoyed at Illinois' for beating Ohio State that year, so when Illinois got to the Rose Bowl I rooted hard against them. I enjoyed watching a mediocre UCLA put a beat down on Illinois. However, in subsequent years, I realized that it was making the conference look bad when its champion lost the Rose Bowl. That was was probably the last time I rooted against the Big Ten team in the Rose Bowl, because lose and they talk down the conference like something god awful - and it seems like the Big Ten gets more ire directed its way than other conferences - perhaps because of the Big Ten's dominant position in the mid-20th century? Now I root for all the Big Ten teams in out-of-conference competition whether it is football non-conference play, bowl games, NCAA basketball tournament, or other events. Heck, I pulled for Indiana in the College Baseball World Series a couple of years ago. Ohio State winning the national title will not directly help Northwestern, but it does impact the conference's reputation just like the New Years Day wins by Ohio State, Michigan State and Wisconsin were a much needed shot in the arm for the Big Ten's football reputation especially after some low points for the conference earlier in the 2014 non-conference season and I think there is some indirect benefit from being associated with a successful conference - one that produces national champions and national title contenders.

Originally posted by EvanstonCat:
My interpretation of the poll results thus far:

18 true Purple Patriots who understand what we represent and what dOSU represents 66 confused or myopic participants who do not realize what dOSU is or who have sold their Purple souls to the devil, and a bunch of dOSU fans here to sabotage the poll results.
I wonder who are the ones that disagree with ECat?

Those not afraid of E-Cat seem to be laying low.

E-Cat and a few others will load some heavy guilt and pressure those who dare root for Ohio State. You guys don't stand a chance. They will beat you down and shame you in a New York minute.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT