ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Northwestern Tattoos

Do you have a NU tattoo?

• Yes.

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • No.

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Not yet, but I’m saving money to get one.

Votes: 6 10.0%

• Total voters

CatManTrue

Oct 4, 2008
I’ve been contemplating some fresh ink for something different, but now that I’ve thought of the question I was curious what an unscientific poll would show.

Do you have a Northwestern tattoo, either football related or otherwise? Be honest.

I’ve been contemplating some fresh ink for something different, but now that I’ve thought of the question I was curious what an unscientific poll would show.

Do you have a Northwestern tattoo, either football related or otherwise? Be honest.
Nope but almost got one when they were in Pasadena for the Rose Bowl.

Reactions: NUCat320
My olf boss's partner, Jack Flynn, was a freshman at Northwestern the year they went to the Rose Bowl (the first time!). Jack wanted to go on the train trip with some of his classmates, but his father demurred, telling Jack that he could go "the next time they play in the Rose Bowl. . . "

Reactions: ThirdCoast
I got my first and only NU tattoo at age 61 the weekend of the Kansas game, which we won thanks to my timely visit to the tattoo artist. We were on a 2 game losing streak to open the season, and I believe I personally turned things around. That was 17 years ago, so it's probably time to get another one.

I got my first and only NU tattoo at age 61 the weekend of the Kansas game, which we won thanks to my timely visit to the tattoo artist. We were on a 2 game losing streak to open the season, and I believe I personally turned things around. That was 17 years ago, so it's probably time to get another one.
That’s simply awesome, No Chores. I remember that season well - one could argue Hawaii jobbed us out of a Music City Bowl appearance, but we also blew the opener at TCU.

Do you care to share the design?

Reactions: drewjin
That’s simply awesome, No Chores. I remember that season well - one could argue Hawaii jobbed us out of a Music City Bowl appearance, but we also blew the opener at TCU.

Do you care to share the design?
Lower left leg above the ankle. Just the "N", about an inch or so. Visible on the golf course, which was one of the objectives. Several on the Board have seen it. Very tasteful in my humble opinion.

If you get an NU tattoo, it needs to be an N-Cat, since it's apparently such a divisive relic of the Rose Bowl years.

If you get an NU tattoo, it needs to be an N-Cat, since it's apparently such a divisive relic of the Rose Bowl years.
That's what I tried to get, but was discouraged by the tattoo artist who said white does not work well on tattoos. Perhaps you could prove me wrong, in which case I'll get mine enhanced.

What happens when tattoos go out of style? It’s like getting a permanent leisure suit.

Reactions: stpaulcat
My eldest got a tiger over his left shoulder down his bicep when he was 23 and living in Los Angeles. His first time home afterward, he proudly showed it off, to the dismay of my spouse. I told him “You could have gotten a Wildcat and you chose a tiger” For a moment, his face froze in doubt. Then he shook his head and said, “No offense, Dad, but a tiger is cooler! Maybe a Wildcat next time.”

Reactions: NU Houston
That's what I tried to get, but was discouraged by the tattoo artist who said white does not work well on tattoos. Perhaps you could prove me wrong, in which case I'll get mine enhanced.
What you could do is just have the N cat as normal skin. E.g. just have an outline and avoid the white ink altogether.

If you avoid the sun or just wear higher socks when you’re not on the golf course, the skin where the cat is will remain pale and thus default to white.

I suggest this as that’s probably the design I would get, if not the latin motto itself inked somewhere. I wouldn’t want anyone to confuse it for a Nebraska or Navy tattoo.

What happens when tattoos go out of style? It’s like getting a permanent leisure suit.
tats-tattoos-skin_artwork-body_artwork-regret-fashion-CC134310_low.jpg

Speaking of newspaper articles, it turns out the Daily had an article about students obtaining tattoos in Chicago last year. I thought the one they showcased was a creative take on Northwestern Wildcat imagery, and an inspiration to us all.

Speaking of newspaper articles, it turns out the Daily had an article about students obtaining tattoos in Chicago last year. I thought the one they showcased was a creative take on Northwestern Wildcat imagery, and an inspiration to us all.

That’s gonna be a tough cover-up one day. Yeesh.

I have the N-Cat Logo tattooed on my left wrist got it when I was 22 , specifically remember showing it to Montre hartage At the Rutgers game 2018 and he said that was pure dedication!
I’m going to take it a step further. That N-Cat tattoo on your wrist is pure awesomeness. Well done, @NUcats92.

Reactions: NUcats92
Don't have one, but if I were to get one it would be retro Willy, 100%!

northwestern-wildcats-1959-1967.png
I’ve come to a decision while watching the NBA finals (now that my children are asleep).

If either of my kids or “the next generation” of my family attend and graduate from Northwestern, I will get the retro Willy tattooed somewhere on me. This includes my kids, my current/future nieces & nephews, or even second cousins.

My general rule of thumb with ink is to get it where it’s not easily exposed. E.g. I can wear a t-shirt and shorts and you’d never know that I got tatted up. But in 16 years I may be willing to break that rule like my now-favorite lawyer @No Chores.

Last edited:
LOL. My father got a bunch of tattoos while in the Air Force. One of them was an eyeball between his thumb and index finger that he could make wink with a movement of the right hand. Upon entering the business world later, he realized this was a career-limiting decision. He had a doctor cut it out, leaving a pretty nasty scar that was the lesser evil. This cautionary tale has always prevented me from considering any tattoo.

Also, just because they are in style is a bad reason to get a tattoo. I got one at 43 after many years of contemplating what to get and why and where. It means something to me, whether they are in style or not. Not a NU tattoo, though.

Reactions: StreamCat
LOL. My father got a bunch of tattoos while in the Air Force. One of them was an eyeball between his thumb and index finger that he could make wink with a movement of the right hand. Upon entering the business world later, he realized this was a career-limiting decision. He had a doctor cut it out, leaving a pretty nasty scar that was the lesser evil. This cautionary tale has always prevented me from considering any tattoo.
My dad had one on his forearm from his time in the service. My mom made him remove it as a condition to get married so he has a similar nasty scar on his forearm (the removal technology has improved since).

But still, that’s why I go with the “must be covered by a t shirt” rule. Best of both worlds.

Reactions: HawkCat
Let's all be honest here and say that a block "N" doesn't make for the prettiest tattoo.
Nonsense! Several on this Board have seen it and admired it. So have a number of physicians, including 2 female dermatologists. I could go on and on.

Nonsense! Several on this Board have seen it and admired it. So have a number of physicians, including 2 female dermatologists. I could go on and on.
Did the female dermatologists get the school right? Or did you have to explain to them you didn’t go to school in Annapolis or Lincoln?

Did the female dermatologists get the school right? Or did you have to explain to them you didn’t go to school in Annapolis or Lincoln?
Neither of the female dermatologists were much interested in or knowledgeable about college football. One actually guessed that it was a Notre Dame tattoo! I only went to her once. One time I was in the E.R. and the doctor had the NCat logo on his hospital I.D. Of course I showed him the tattoo, and he was so excited he paged his wife who was a doc at the same hospital and she came over to the E.R. to check it out.

When deciding on getting a tattoo, you have to understand some things. The tattoo is permanent, and if you are getting one only because it's trendy, better not do that. You need to find a qualified master, and don't try to save money and get it at a decent tattoo salon. It's essential to ask your master to show you that the needles are new and everything is vacuum-packed. If you have any blood diseases, you should be aware his about that. And the most important thing is to ask about the tattoo aftercare routine or check it out online on websites like https://www.womaninthemoon.ca/.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT