ADVERTISEMENT

Poor Michigan

Sounds like Worthy may have gotten the Sean Cotton treatment, but much worse. An assistant offered Cotton before admissions cleared him, and he never formally committed. Admissions quickly rejected his application.

Worthy was committed for awhile, it seems, before admissions either formally approved him, or perhaps found something they should have caveated the offer with (test score). Anyhow, the whole things strikes me as avoidable and crappy.

Don't let this full you Michigan has pretty low academic standards for athletes.
Still doesn't keep them from making excuses about why they can't win consistently. From the article:

Fans might want to blame Jim Harbaugh, but that’s the wrong thing to do. This isn’t Harbaugh’s fault, even though it is another reminder of why it’s so hard to win at Michigan.

It's just so, so hard to win at Michigan....😒

What is UM’s football player graduation rate and can these athletes graduate with, eg, basket weaving degrees? If the answer to the latter question is no, then the graduation rate ought to be telling vis-a-vis other B1G schools. ( Note: I do not include OSU football as being in the B1G 10. OSU football is a SEC program that due only to historical circumstances happens to be included the B1G conference )

Back in the Schembechler day, a close friend of mine was on the U. of M. tennis team and the starting RB for the Wolverines football team was in his history class. My buddy was asked to tutor/assist said RB. My friend told me this RB read at about a third grade level. He said the RB was an ok kid, but shouldn't have even been in a Community College. Of course Michigan is not alone in allowing kids that are not qualified for the sake of sports.

Back in the Schembechler day, a close friend of mine was on the U. of M. tennis team and the starting RB for the Wolverines football team was in his history class. My buddy was asked to tutor/assist said RB. My friend told me this RB read at about a third grade level. He said the RB was an ok kid, but shouldn't have even been in a Community College. Of course Michigan is not alone in allowing kids that are not qualified for the sake of sports.

So, was this RB the rule or the exception?

Probably was early 2000’s when I saw a study covering all D1 football schools where they had each school’s average ACT/SAT of the entire incoming freshman class vs that of the incoming football frosh class. The biggest discrepancy?
Cal and Michigan.

Appears their Director of Recruiting is leaving for Mississippi State, though ironically a Michigan alum is coming to fill the opening after seemingly being on his way to Mississippi State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT