ADVERTISEMENT

Post-game press conference notes: Ohio State

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
Fitz was, as usual, very gracious in defeat.

Tip my hat and compliment Ryan Day and his staff and players.
Had opportunities to get off the field on defense in the first half.
Then, they went through "the Buckeye onslaught" in the second quarter.
Those were momentum opportunities against, in my opinion, the best team in the country, that we missed.
Thanks students and fans. Challenging first half of the season. Flush it and leave it here.

Playing Marty not Hunter: Played Marty because game was out of reach and he's from Ohio. No injury for Hunter.

Offensive performance: Continually beating ourselves. Lees visibly frustrated. They care so much. They're a great group of guys. That's why my heart breaks so much. Gotta get better fundamentally, work harder, etc.

Question about development of spread, Ryan Day's comments this week, etc.

Thinks Ohio State is the best team in the country.

Is Aidan the starter? Looking at everything. We're not winning. Gotta look at the tape before making any decisions. Times I thought Aidan was really tough. Didn't win enough one-on-ones. Look at it more collectively as a team.

Message to team: Tip your hat to an outstanding team that played well. Tackled well, covered well, fit well.

Allowing explosive plays: Got after us in the red zone. We're usually a really good red zone defense.
Three yards over 50 yards. Misfit on Dobbins' run. Should've been 8-10 yard gain.

All those third downs and five plus.

Gotta get off the field on third down, create turnovers, eliminate explosive plays, make plays when you have a chance.

Punt snap: Not Tyler Gillikin's fault. It was a cadence thing. We were trying to do too much.

Second quarter: We didn't fit. We knew what they were going to run. Makes you angry as a coach.

Aidan Smith

One-man breakdowns. Missed reads, dropped ball, missed block, etc.

OSU's defense: Wasn't NU's defense. It was just one-man breakdowns, shooting ourselves in the foot.

One-man breakdowns: Boils down to own preparation. Focus on fundamentals. Come out ready to play.

Riley's drop: One of those things. I believe in him. He's my guy.

Why so many one-man breakdowns: Change in leadership. Need to do a better job of holding teammates accountable. Getting on them for mistakes.

What do you do to keep fighting: Flush this one after tonight. Focus on going 1-0 next week. Get a win will get fire in us.

Jared Thomas

Tough times on offense: Continue to be aggressive. Did some really good things on the OL. The standard doesn't change just because we're struggling. We can't change the past, only focus on the future.

Running the ball: Had some success, which was very encouraging. OL needs to bring other units with us. Need to just get better every day.

Paddy Fisher

OSU's offense: Executed really well, didn't turn the ball over. Very solid, efficient team. That's what you get when you play a top three football team.

Play he bumped referee: Can't control that. Things like that happen.

Third downs: Get in the film room and take a look. Couldn't get off the field on third down.

Differences in teams since title game: They were very efficient offensively. Tip my cap to them.

Embarrassing loss like that on the home field, you're going to get down on yourself. Life is going to throw right hooks and uppercuts at you. You have to stay even, not get too high or too low.

Explosive plays: On JK's run, we overran the ball, missed a couple tackles. Good teams is going to do that. We've got to be crisp. They took advantage of that.

Those were momentum opportunities against, in my opinion, the best team in the country, that we missed.
Thanks students and fans. Challenging first half of the season. Flush it and leave it here.

Playing Marty not Hunter: Played Marty because game was out of reach and he's from Ohio. No injury for Hunter.

Offensive performance: Continually beating ourselves. Lees visibly frustrated. They care so much. They're a great group of guys. That's why my heart breaks so much. Gotta get better fundamentally, work harder, etc.

Is Aidan the starter? Looking at everything. We're not winning. Gotta look at the tape before making any decisions. Times I thought Aidan was really tough. Didn't win enough one-on-ones. Look at it more collectively as a team.

Message to team: Tip your hat to an outstanding team that played well. Tackled well, covered well, fit well.

Allowing explosive plays: Got after us in the red zone. We're usually a really good red zone defense.
Three yards over 50 yards. Misfit on Dobbins' run. Should've been 8-10 yard gain.

Gotta get off the field on third down, create turnovers, eliminate explosive plays, make plays when you have a chance.

Punt snap: Not Tyler Gillikin's fault. It was a cadence thing. We were trying to do too much.

Second quarter: We didn't fit. We knew what they were going to run. Makes you angry as a coach.
Blah Blah Blah.

It is always hard as a fan to take a loss like that,,,,then it always comes back,,,to these are good kids,,,playing hard,,,doing things the correct way....to represent the University. Really like the way they go about things......they simply were over matched last night...that was a tremendously talented and skilled OSU team. As a fan it is not hard to keep rooting for the Cats...just makes me more determined to get to remaining games. .and watch how they try and solve the issues they are having.....Its not finding the Holy Grail , its about the search for the Holy Grail. Sometimes you cross the Bridge of Death, sometimes thrown into the abyss OSU) OUr current question at the Bridge is Can we find an offense?

It is always hard as a fan to take a loss like that,,,,then it always comes back,,,to these are good kids,,,playing hard,,,doing things the correct way....to represent the University. Really like the way they go about things......they simply were over matched last night...that was a tremendously talented and skilled OSU team. As a fan it is not hard to keep rooting for the Cats...just makes me more determined to get to remaining games. .and watch how they try and solve the issues they are having.....Its not finding the Holy Grail , its about the search for the Holy Grail. Sometimes you cross the Bridge of Death, sometimes thrown into the abyss OSU) OUr current question at the Bridge is Can we find an offense?

If you respect the kids- and I think we all do, then you have to start asking if the coaching staff is capable of giving them the best chance to win. On offense I’d say that question has been answered in the negative.

If you respect the kids- and I think we all do, then you have to start asking if the coaching staff is capable of giving them the best chance to win. On offense I’d say that question has been answered in the negative.
Cannot disagree with you on that. ...I just am not knowledgeable enough to really know the answers to the root question...of " why doesnt the offense work?" seems like majority of the board feels like it is McCall.......I am not sure that no matter what plays we called or who we played at qb it would have made any difference last night......Also Fitz does not seem like the kind of guy who would fire someone mid-season...and I am okay with that.....but totally agree we need to make sure we have the best coaches for the team

Second quarter: We didn't fit. We knew what they were going to run. Makes you angry as a coach. “Didn’t fit” …..What does this mean?

Second quarter: We didn't fit. We knew what they were going to run. Makes you angry as a coach. “Didn’t fit” …..What does this mean?

Sorry. I was typing quickly. "Didn't fit" refers to the run defense -- the team didn't fit into all the gaps correctly and allowed Ohio State to hit some big plays. He was talking about Dobbins' 68-yard run, I believe.

Cannot disagree with you on that. ...I just am not knowledgeable enough to really know the answers to the root question...of " why doesnt the offense work?" seems like majority of the board feels like it is McCall.......I am not sure that no matter what plays we called or who we played at qb it would have made any difference last night......Also Fitz does not seem like the kind of guy who would fire someone mid-season...and I am okay with that.....but totally agree we need to make sure we have the best coaches for the team

It’s not just last night though. It’s been all season so far, and if you look at our past few years the offense has not been good. Basically we’ve been successful despite the offense to some extent. I’m fine if Fitz wants to try and play great d, have a more conservative offense and try to win close games. However that limits the upside in my opinion for success. You need to at least have the ability to air it out when the need arises.

Reactions: drewjin
I’m fine if Fitz wants to try and play great d, have a more conservative offense
I wonder if this prevents us from getting really electric, difference makers on offense? although I would love to see the highly ranked freshman wide receivers...seems to me the wide receiver group has under performed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT