ADVERTISEMENT

Post-game press conference notes

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
John Bielein

What a great game. Congratulations to Coach Collins and Northwestern...they do it the right way. They get great student-athletes. They played a smart game...My team is devatated...It took a perfect pass on that last play...didn't matter if there was a man on the ball or not.

Michigan's last shot: We just wanted to go and play off the action...Pretty good look at the basket...wished he would've kept going to the basket.

Back to NU's last shot: It reminds me of Christian Laettner's shot...That was perfect, it was a perfect play.

Is NU a tournament team: I don't make predictions...They're really good. Our league is really good. If you have a .500 or above record in this league, you're really a good basketball team. You're one of the best in this country....If anybody saw that game tonight, they'll say those are two great teams that belong in the NCAA tournament.

Walton: He had a great, great second half....He might have (gotten tired)....He did a lot of driving to the basket and had to guard McIntosh...He's devastated right now...He's a terrific kid who played his tail off.

How important was Law: Law and Lindsey have been in a funk...They haven't been making open shots...Tonight, they're home, they really played well and they made those shots...NU ran NBA short action (not sure what that is) and that gave us problems tonight.

Free throw violation: No idea why (Derek Walton) did that...That's a tough break. That's a first.

Chris Collins

What a great game...We knew it would be that kind of game...Just to keep battling tonight....I loved the way the guys were talking tonight. "We're not going to lose the game tonight."...Coach James drew up the play. He's the special situation coach...Some assistants wanted to call timeout and go to overtime. I said no way, we're going for it....Taphorn had the perfect pass...don't the Bears need a quarterback?

What a night.

Name of play? It doesn't have a name. We never practiced it before. Coach James drew it up.

Relief of pressure? There's a lot of pressure on these guys...After Indiana I challenged them and told them there was pressure...Everything good in life involves pressure and succeeding under pressure...I don't know if it helped, but I thought it was time to challenge them.

Sure he got it off? Tried to keep composure and make sure...I felt good about it...Once guys were in the mosh pit I wanted to find my family (tears well in his eyes here and his voice cracks)...It's been a great journey.

When he threw it I thought it was long...the other team doesn't want to foul...He had almost two seconds, I told him that he didn't have to hurry.

Law's big night: He's been struggling with his jump shot...We tried to get him going to the basket...He had an amazing night...He was the local guy that jumped on first and wanted to be at the forefront of what we're trying to build here.

It was surreal...the ball was up in the air...I thought it was long...I felt like I was Jimmy V back in '83. I was running around looking for someone to hug.

I thought we played well against Indiana...I think we're trending back to where we were...And what a great opportunity: we have the Big Ten champs coming to our arena.

How important was Benson? We were doing a lot of switching...Their bigs pick and pop...We wanted to play more one-on-one...Gavin, Benson, Tap did well when Pardon and Skelly got two fouls in the first half.

Beilein is a hell of a coach and a great representative of Big Ten basketball. Classy guy, just like ALL their revenue sport coaches (where's that sarcasm font?)

Nathan Taphorn

The play: That was the play I'll always remember...especially for my last week here...My goal was to throw it to the corner of the board. He went up and got it...I had the best view ever for it.

How did it feel? It's a big night...It's really surreal...It's kinda fitting going out like this. This team, these guys...I really couldn't think of a better way.

Nerves? My ego wants to say no...Once I saw Dererk turn and slip that screen...I let it go and thought it was going to be a little long.

Celebration: I was the guy that took Dererk down...

After timeouts: Told myself don't be afraid to throw it...Don't throw it out of bounds...First DJ was on the ball...Then they called timeout and there was no one on me. I felt more confident about that...We redrew the play (after the timeout)...and executed it perfectly.

Think about Notre Dame game? That goes through my mind every single day...That will always resonate with me. So will this.

Embracing pressure: (Collins) set the tone this week...You can't go back...It's awesome win for us, but we have to play the Big Ten champs on Sunday.

What does it mean to be involved in final play? It's incredible...I give credit (to fans)...I can't thank them enough...This place has really grown. It's shown...These four years haven't been the easiest...it's one of the greatest feelings you can get.

Vic Law

You do play well with a cold: I just played better tonight...This is the game I came here for...When I chose Northwestern, people said why'd you go there, they have no culture there...

Last play: My job is safety valve and just get open...As soon as I saw Dererk caught it, I was doing cartwheels at half court.

Hot start to game: Really important for me to go to the basket early...I was taking tougher jump shots...It was important to get something early...Walton did everything he could to help his team win...but I thank him for that lane violation.

Pressure? This is why we all came here...Michigan playing as good as anyone in the conference...They just beat Purdue...We knew if we were going to be different, this had to be the team...It was fitting it was Michigan (lost in Big Ten tournament last year on Irvin's jumper at the buzzer)...It was the best moment ever at Welsh-Ryan Arena.

Get offense going? Needed to make an emphasis to get Dererk the ball and attack them because they're so good offensively.

Sunday letdown? I want to play just like we did tonight...Like there is no other option but winning.

We have a great home-court advantage...I love playing at Welsh-Ryan Arena...I think our fans rival anybody.

Dererk Pardon

The shot: Coach James told me to set a double-screen for Bryant and Scott and then go score the ball...I caught the ball and I was like, "The rim is right there."

Have you ever had another moment like that in sports? Not even close.

Celebration: I don't know what I was doing...I just ran around and the next thing I knew I was on the ground.

Law's big night: This was great for Vic...We told him to stay confident. We believed in him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT