ADVERTISEMENT

Post-game press conference notes

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
Coach Collins

Happy to get the win. They run one of the slowest offenses in the country. Got a lead, got off to a great start. Turned it over early. Started fouling in the second half. Pleased with free throw shooting 23-24, Scottie getting six assists and no turnovers. Quick turnaround and get ready to Creighton.

Gavin had a big night: Missed him in the first game with foul trouble. With Falzon out, it puts more on Gavin's plate. Liked the way he played, he was active.

Settling in to Allstate: I'll be asked that every game. This is where we play. We don't even talk about it. It's not even an issue.

Gave up 20s in first half and 40s in second half. Part of it: in first half, you play defense in front of the coaches. Need to improve communication. Thought we played better tonight. Give St. Peter's credit for making us finish the game.

Second half, Gaines and Ash were more aggressive. Tough game for Barret because they have a big guy that shoots 3s and plays on the perimeter.

Falzon: Dealing with the hip flexor. Long season. Will err on side of caution.

What will it take to beat Creighton: Put 40 minutes together. Have to play better defensively.

17 turnovers: Bothers me a lot. We pride ourselves on taking care of the ball. Our assist-to-turnover ratio usually one of the better ones, but this is the second game in a row we were in the negative. Don't have the firepower to withstand 17-20 turnovers.

Skelly and BMac

Gavin Skelly's big night: Came out more aggressive. Wasn't happy with his play in the opener.

Turnover issue: BMac: Falls on me first. Need to stop trying to make the spectacular play. It's also early in the season. We'll clean it up, I'm confident of that.

Target on backs: Skelly: We're not hunting the bigger teams, they're coming after us. Teams are giving everything they can, we need to match it.

Lack of crowd, crowd noise: BMac: Need to rely on ourselves. We need to create our own juice. Skelly: I will bring the students (laughs). I know a lot of "plugs", guys to talk to. Don't worry about it. I got it.

Creighton: They scored 100 points last couple games. They like to get up and down, like Michigan State. It will be a big challenge for us defensively.

Coach Collins

Happy to get the win. They run one of the slowest offenses in the country. Got a lead, got off to a great start. Turned it over early. Started fouling in the second half. Pleased with free throw shooting 23-24, Scottie getting six assists and no turnovers. Quick turnaround and get ready to Creighton.

Gavin had a big night: Missed him in the first game with foul trouble. With Falzon out, it puts more on Gavin's plate. Liked the way he played, he was active.

Settling in to Allstate: I'll be asked that every game. This is where we play. We don't even talk about it. It's not even an issue.

Gave up 20s in first half and 40s in second half. Part of it: in first half, you play defense in front of the coaches. Need to improve communication. Thought we played better tonight. Give St. Peter's credit for making us finish the game.

Second half, Gaines and Ash were more aggressive. Tough game for Barret because they have a big guy that shoots 3s and plays on the perimeter.

Falzon: Dealing with the hip flexor. Long season. Will err on side of caution.

What will it take to beat Creighton: Put 40 minutes together. Have to play better defensively.

17 turnovers: Bothers me a lot. We pride ourselves on taking care of the ball. Our assist-to-turnover ratio usually one of the better ones, but this is the second game in a row we were in the negative. Don't have the firepower to withstand 17-20 turnovers.

Here’s the video...

Skelly and BMac

Gavin Skelly's big night: Came out more aggressive. Wasn't happy with his play in the opener.

Turnover issue: BMac: Falls on me first. Need to stop trying to make the spectacular play. It's also early in the season. We'll clean it up, I'm confident of that.

Target on backs: Skelly: We're not hunting the bigger teams, they're coming after us. Teams are giving everything they can, we need to match it.

Lack of crowd, crowd noise: BMac: Need to rely on ourselves. We need to create our own juice. Skelly: I will bring the students (laughs). I know a lot of "plugs", guys to talk to. Don't worry about it. I got it.

Creighton: They scored 100 points last couple games. They like to get up and down, like Michigan State. It will be a big challenge for us defensively.

Video...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT