ADVERTISEMENT

Post Game Thoughts NIU

ThatkidfromHolland

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2015
Foul trouble with the bigs is gonna be a year long issue. The moving screens can be the guards fault and they need to watch it with their bigs being foul prone. Verhooven struggled with touch around the rim and seemed to get a hand on the boards but couldn’t bring it in. He did fix some of that in the 2nd half.

Hopefully Big Matt can stay out foul trouble and get his min up as he has the higher ceiling. He’s running the floor better this season and is in much better positions defensively. He actually finishes and gets in positions for these nice feeds (Something Verhooven hasn’t shown as much of). Matt did miss a couple box outs.
Team still goes as Buie and Audige go. They initiate and make the offense go. Audige is still good for a couple bad shots per game. A few poor passes in each game by Audige. Buie is still prone to a “heat check”. I’m fine with a “heat check” but you need to be hitting for it to be a “heat check”.

Beran has started aggressive inside in both games. Good sign as the 3 won’t always hit. He had another good game today. Let’s see if this continues against better competition. I still stand by my last season comments he’s a good defender showed it today. Beran and Nicholson could be some tough trees to score on potentially.

Berry had a good game. Hit some contested layups and quick hands defensively. He hit the boards hard. NU will need that with the small ball line ups. Really nice game by him.

Roper is making some smart drives and still plays solid defense.
13 has some nice length. Had a really nice straight up block. Has couple nice offense plays. Lacks quickness a bit but could be a nice role player.

Lots of whistles have gone the cats way both games.

Good defensive possession followed by losing a man off ball. This will need to be fixed. This squad has some potential imo defensively. Hustled hard on loose balls. Some dumb fouls. Unsure how they will do against a dominant post presence though.

They should have put this game away earlier.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News