ADVERTISEMENT

Pound the Rock - Premium Basketball Board?

Would you have an interest in subscribing to a premium basketball board?

• Yes - a new premium forum would be a welcome relief.

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • No - why pay for something that we already have for free?

Votes: 32 62.7%

• Total voters

CoralSpringsCat

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2002
Coral Springs, FL
We’ve been throwing around the idea of splitting the Premium Football Board (The Rock) into two separate boards with the creation of a Premium Basketball Board (Pound the Rock). This would be a second board with no additional cost to premium subscribers. We’re trying to gauge interest here on the free basketball board to see if there would be any interest in subscribing as a paid member. Premium members would have an exclusive place to interact with other NU fans without trolls from other fan bases or some of the repetitive bickering that seems to inevitably occur on the free basketball board. Access to all of Lou’s premium basketball articles would still be a part of the premium membership. Please share your thoughts by voting in the above poll. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: FloridAlum
This doesn't help with regard to your question, CSC, but I'm all in for the highest level of access that's available, whether paid or free, combined or separate. Just wish we had a couple thousand more who felt the same way. o_O

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Makes no difference to me. I am a paid member but rarely browse The Rock and have never posted in it. Reason being I have very limited interest in football. And that's close to 100% of what's in it.

Would help cutting down the trolling. But, objectively, there's not much of it in this board.

Makes no difference to me. I am a paid member but rarely browse The Rock and have never posted in it. Reason being I have very limited interest in football. And that's close to 100% of what's in it.

Would help cutting down the trolling. But, objectively, there's not much of it in this board.
Well, if you're already a paid member, there would simply be no reason to vote "no". In fact, it would be crazy for those who are already premium members to vote "no" They would have absolutely nothing to lose and could still access the free basketball board. Finally, this might encourage those who are not premium members to pony up the $8.25 per month.

No, I don’t want to pay more. Too expensive.
I'm not a Northwestern grad, and I'm not here spending other people's money. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, 2011, and assuming that this was tongue in cheek . . . but every single Northwestern graduate, alive or dead, can afford two dollars a week. :rolleyes:

Reactions: nugnrfan82
No, I don’t want to pay more. Too expensive.

I assume you are joking, but just in case, you are already a paid member of the board. You would not be paying extra for a premium basketball board. Your membership entitles you to read any premium content.

I will also add that usually once a year Rivals has a membership drive. That is up to Rivals but you receive one year at a reduced rate or A credit for northwestern merchandise.A person could join as a paid member and have access to premium content for a year at a pretty cheap rate.However, it is a one time offer. You cannot take advantage of the reduced rate for a year and then renew at a reduced rate. You would have to renew at the normal rate which is a staggering two dollars a week.
There are many folks who have been freeloading for years and do nothing to help support the site. We have a small fan base without the benefit of a large number of members to help keep this place going

No Chores said:

GatoLouco said:

Would help cutting down the trolling. But, objectively, there's not much of it in this board.[/quote]

Well, if you're already a paid member, there would simply be no reason to vote "no". In fact, it would be crazy for those who are already premium members to vote "no" They would have absolutely nothing to lose and could still access the free basketball board. Finally, this might encourage those who are not premium members to pony up the $8.25 per month.

I don’t feel it’s unffair that I pay and ultimately get close to the same access non paying members (who don’t care about football) do. I get access to published work I guess.

Ultimately I pay because I want to support Lou’s work and want to help perpetuate content sites like this one.

Maybe a basketball Rock would motivate more “insiders” to post. Don’t know. I fear a paid board for basketball might not have enough paid members interested in posting anyway. And, therefore, the free board being the one with a reasonable amount of threads anyway. Football is king, pretty obvious.

Disagree. I’m a premium member. And I don’t see any upside in having a pay hoops board. Anything that needs to be for paid eyes only can be put on the Rock, as it already is for both football and hoops. There is pretty much zero value add to having a separate premium hoops forum, unless it be to separate the football discussion from the hoops discussion on the Rock. I can also attest that the promise of no bickering and personal attacks on a premium board is total BS. Still happens, though it is true that the cast of characters is thinned down to exclude those who don’t pay, but still plenty of people who are paying that go at it on both boards.

The value of the paid membership frankly is in the Rivals content and LouV’s stuff - which I think is worth it, but is already available without a separate paid hoops forum. Not sure that changes at all, unless Lou convinces someone like Haywood to stop posting on the free board and put it only on the Hoops forum. I don’t really see anyone else who would make a difference on either the football or basketball sides. So with very limited upside, short of Lou cutting a deal with Haywood, the downside for me is having the hassle to check yet another board (sorry, but my WiFi is spotty, and so clicking through to another board frankly sucks).

For free members, I can’t see how there is any upside. All real hoops conversation is happening on this free board as it is. Why would anyone who isn’t paying want to move conversation to a pay board and pay for it?

Last edited:
Reactions: cedricmelons
wasn't a serious post

It would be the only thing that would make a difference frankly. If Lou cut a deal with Haywood to post only on a premium hoops board, you might get people to sign up and head there for discussion. A lot of people might hate Lou for doing it, but tough crap. If Haywood wants to compensated somehow to put his insights behind a walled garden, then he deserves it.

Reactions: NUCat320
No Chores said: Well, if you're already a paid member, there would simply be no reason to vote "no". In fact, it would be crazy for those who are already premium members to vote "no" They would have absolutely nothing to lose and could still access the free basketball board. Finally, this might encourage those who are not premium members to pony up the $8.25 per month.

I don’t feel it’s unfair that I pay and ultimately get close to the same access non paying members (who don’t care about football) do. I get access to published work I guess.

Ultimately I pay because I want to support Lou’s work and want to help perpetuate content sites like this one.

Maybe a basketball Rock would motivate more “insiders” to post. Don’t know. I fear a paid board for basketball might not have enough paid members interested in posting anyway. And, therefore, the free board being the one with a reasonable amount of threads anyway. Football is king, pretty obvious.

I suspect the 8 people who voted yes are primarily paid members. Still not getting why anyone who isn’t paying for a subscription already would want to see a paid premium forum.

Hell, I’m a paying member, and don’t really see the point.

For those, like NURoseBowl, who may be the exception, I would ask - if you’re all in for the highest access already, then why aren’t you paying already? Just because there isn’t a separate premium hoops board? Really? Color me shocked, but newly enlightened, if that’s the case. What do you think a premium forum would have that you don’t see on the free board or is already available on the Rock?

I assume you are joking, but just in case, you are already a paid member of the board. You would not be paying extra for a premium basketball board. Your membership entitles you to read any premium content.

But, unless there was going to be more premium content, then you’re also not getting anything incremental value. Hence, my point on Haywood. This all said, you could still cut a deal with Haywood, and not create a premium hoops forum (and just have him post on the Rock). It really has to do with the content whether people are going to be willing to pay for a subscription or not - not whether there is a separate premium hoops forum.

But, unless there was going to be more premium content, then you’re also not getting anything incremental value. Hence, my point on Haywood. This all said, you could still cut a deal with Haywood, and not create a premium hoops forum (and just have him post on the Rock). It really has to do with the content whether people are going to be willing to pay for a subscription or not - not whether there is a separate premium hoops forum.

Thanks for stating your position. Sounds like you’re still on the fence. Wish you would make up your mind.

So, like, if this moves forward, would we be able to cash in our points for subscriptions?

So, like, if this moves forward, would we be able to cash in our points for subscriptions?

No potholes on The Rock.

Kind of surprised you’re not already a subscriber. I think it’s important to financially support Lou’s efforts (and the efforts of other media members on the Internet) if you are able.

No potholes on The Rock.

Kind of surprised you’re not already a subscriber. I think it’s important to financially support Lou’s efforts (and the efforts of other media members on the Internet) if you are able.

You're right about that. I should and I will regardless of whether there's premium bball board. I place a lot of value on what Lou, you and others contribute here.

I'm really sorry about the following comment, Lou. I know you work hard on the site. But I hope you won't mind the following criticism. Go ahead and delete it in a week if you think it's too rude. It's your site. But I've felt this for awhile, and I hope you'll at least give it time for people to consider it.

I have often considered paying the subscription, but in the end I haven't. Sure, part of it is a cheap side. But the real reason is the level of basketball content. And I BARELY ever look at any football info.

Let's be honest: It's always been fairly evident that basketball is the ugly step-sister of football on this site. Of course, I don't see the click rates, so I don't know what the basketball side of your business deserves. I can completely see the argument that football deserves far more than basketball, especially at NU. But the investment also wasn't made to build up basketball clicks when times were tight. And it's only been recently that some effort has been put into basketball. Maybe since 2016? There were MANY years before that when a finger wasn't lifted for basketball.

I think you should also reasonably consider the many mentions of Haywood above as your basketball expert.

Let put it this way: who was the kid who ran the scout.com or 247.com(??) NU site at the beginning of the Collins era? I forget his name. He went on to the B10 Network.

It was fairly obvious, fairly quickly one of the coaches was using him to build up interest in the program, and feeding him good inside - key word - information. He also attended practices, built a relationship with players and he hustled. It was more than him commenting what was on TV or at press conferences. He did some quality reporting, and I quickly paid for that site.

Granted, I was screwed by Scout/247 in the end.

Lastly, one of the stated problems was "repetitive bickering." I think you also need to consider what steps you took to limit that. And if you did take steps, how long did it take you to jump in before it drove down the value of your board? I agree with your hands off approach to the boards, but it was fairly evident it was often allowed for too long.

I enjoy having a place to chat it up with fellow Cats fans. And I appreciate that you've always provided that, rather than anybody needing to start a Reddit site.

But if there's a cost to the board, I really don't know if I'd follow. I think you know there's just not that much value to so much of the basketball info.

I wouldn't blame you if you set a cost for the board. It's your business. But I couldn't be more on the fence, and I always wish you the best of luck with this site.

Last edited:
There are many folks who have been freeloading for years and do nothing to help support the site.

While your model is in flux, you might want to stay away from referring to people/customers as "freeloaders." Yes, I'm one of them. That doesn't help my perception of whether my clicks are important to your business.

You might want to consider that before the tournament year(ish), this board provided almost all of YOUR basketball content.

I'm really sorry about the following comment, Lou. I know you work hard on the site. But I hope you won't mind the following criticism. Go ahead and delete it in a week if you think it's too rude. It's your site. But I've felt this for awhile, and I hope you'll at least give it time for people to consider it.

I have often considered paying the subscription, but in the end I haven't. Sure, part of it is a cheap side. But the real reason is the level of basketball content. And I BARELY ever look at any football info.

Let's be honest: It's always been fairly evident that basketball is the ugly step-sister of football on this site. Of course, I don't see the click rates, so I don't know what the basketball side of your business deserves. I can completely see the argument that football deserves far more than basketball, especially at NU. But the investment also wasn't made to build up basketball clicks when times were tight. And it's only been recently that some effort has been put into basketball. Maybe since 2016? There were MANY years before that when a finger wasn't lifted for basketball.

I think you should also reasonably consider the many mentions of Haywood above as your basketball expert.

Let put it this way: who was the kid who ran the scout.com or 247.com(??) NU site at the beginning of the Collins era? I forget his name. He went on to the B10 Network.

It was fairly obvious, fairly quickly one of the coaches was using him to build up interest in the program, and feeding him good inside - key word - information. He also attended practices, built a relationship with players and he hustled. It was more than him commenting what was on TV or at press conferences. He did some quality reporting, and I quickly paid for that site.

Lastly, one of the stated problems was "repetitive bickering." I think you also need to consider what steps you took to limit that. And if you did take steps, how long did it take you to jump in before it drove down the value of your board? I agree with your hands off approach to the boards, but it was fairly evident it was often allowed for too long.

I enjoy having a place to chat it up with fellow Cats fans. And I appreciate that you've always provided that, rather than anybody needing to start a Reddit site.

But if there's a cost to the board, I really don't know if I'd follow. I think you know there's just not that much value to so much of the basketball info.

I wouldn't blame you if you set a cost for the board. It's your business. But I couldn't be more on the fence, and I always wish you the best of luck with this site.

Thanks for your insights. I’ve always been somewhat reluctant to post over here as I prefer the premium board. Hopefully Lou will take heed and increase the basketball content some. That being said, I know I would post more about our program if I was able to do so on a premium basketball board.

You're right about that. I should and I will regardless of whether there's premium bball board. I place a lot of value on what Lou, you and others contribute here.

Thanks Medill90. Looking forward to your posts. If we make a concerted effort, we can help drive additional basketball conversation on the premium board.

Thanks Medill90. Looking forward to your posts. If we make a concerted effort, we can help drive additional basketball conversation on the premium board.
Wondering if we can also have a designated baseball board? If it only exists to take the whining White Sox fans off of the Football Board.

You really don't seem to follow what is being proposed here. You wouldn't have to pay for anything if you chose not to do so. The free basketball board would continue to exist, and so would the free football board. The premium board would consist of both a football board and a basketball board. So, if you join the Rock, you would get both. As it presently stands, you get premium basketball content, such as recruiting info, only if you spring for the price of the Rock. Heywood really has little to do with this. My hope would be that he joins the Rock because he has some great inside scoop, but he is certainly free to post wherever he likes. So, why take chances 112, spring for the $2.00 per week and get access to both premium boards, football and basketball, and you can still access the free boards whenever you like.

I've been lurking on here for a long time. I'm a younger Wildcat, but I've also spent over half my life on various old school php fora and now things like Reddit, this site, and one for my profession. One of the biggest critiques I have of the fora I've been on is when moderators/admin divide a low/moderate traffic forum into two or more. At the end of the day, you end up with two inferior products. If this board had more traffic, I think it'd be a viable idea.

As for the "freeloading" comment from a MODERATOR, I expected better. Forums are built on the content created by posters, premium and free. It's both incredibly disrespectful and out of touch to not recognize that.

The best way to get new subscribers, in my opinion, is to (1) create more content, and/or (2) make more people aware of this place. (1) is how you get people on the verge of subscribing, like me, to finally pony up. (2) is how you get the people who would have opened up their wallets in half a second if they knew this place existed. Creating a premium board does neither of these things.

I've been lurking on here for a long time. I'm a younger Wildcat, but I've also spent over half my life on various old school php fora and now things like Reddit, this site, and one for my profession. One of the biggest critiques I have of the fora I've been on is when moderators/admin divide a low/moderate traffic forum into two or more. At the end of the day, you end up with two inferior products. If this board had more traffic, I think it'd be a viable idea.

As for the "freeloading" comment from a MODERATOR, I expected better. Forums are built on the content created by posters, premium and free. It's both incredibly disrespectful and out of touch to not recognize that.

The best way to get new subscribers, in my opinion, is to (1) create more content, and/or (2) make more people aware of this place. (1) is how you get people on the verge of subscribing, like me, to finally pony up. (2) is how you get the people who would have opened up their wallets in half a second if they knew this place existed. Creating a premium board does neither of these things.
Can people no longer take a joke?

When is the last time you heard the term “freeloader” not in jest? If he had used the term “cheapskates” or “deadbeats” I could see the offense.

I think we don’t have as much basketball content as we haven’t had the success with NUBB that we have with NUFB. PBJ and other recruits could change that but we have little-to-no history of success to speak of.

Win, and they shall come.

Reactions: ricko654321
Can people no longer take a joke?

When is the last time you heard the term “freeloader” not in jest? If he had used the term “cheapskates” or “deadbeats” I could see the offense.

I think we don’t have as much basketball content as we haven’t had the success with NUBB that we have with NUFB. PBJ and other recruits could change that but we have little-to-no history of success to speak of.

Win, and they shall come.

The whole theme of FloridAlum's post is ripping people for not getting premium. The sarcasm in calling the subscription "a staggering two dollars a week" makes the disdain for free members pretty clear. In that context, freeloader does not seem in jest. I will be the first to admit, however, that I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

I think that there are many valid reasons why we don't have as much content on the basketball board, including the reason you listed. But, when someone is opening up their wallet, they quite frankly don't care. The content is there or it isn't. Until the content is there and more folks come, perhaps we should wait to divide this forum into the freeloaders and $2-a-weekers.

The whole theme of FloridAlum's post is ripping people for not getting premium. The sarcasm in calling the subscription "a staggering two dollars a week" makes the disdain for free members pretty clear. In that context, freeloader does not seem in jest. I will be the first to admit, however, that I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

I think that there are many valid reasons why we don't have as much content on the basketball board, including the reason you listed. But, when someone is opening up their wallet, they quite frankly don't care. The content is there or it isn't. Until the content is there and more folks come, perhaps we should wait to divide this forum into the freeloaders and $2-a-weekers.

They are freeloaders though, aren't they? Would the board exist if there were no premium members? Posters like Fitzphile and VirginiaWildcat have spent countless hours over the years on the free board without paying for a subscription. I'm really surprised at someone like Virginia; he's essentially on Wildcat Report welfare.

They are freeloaders though, aren't they? Would the board exist if there were no premium members? Posters like Fitzphile and VirginiaWildcat have spent countless hours over the years on the free board without paying for a subscription. I'm really surprised at someone like Virginia; he's essentially on Wildcat Report welfare.

I'll share my final words on the topic, because I don't want to derail too much more.

Technically, yes, they are free loaders. The magnitude of the freeloading just isn't very big. They can't access premium content or boards. They're getting a free web forum to post on that I could set up in several hours for an annual cost to me of $200/yr. or so. They're presumably paying for any free articles posted through ad revenue earned from clicks.

Would the board exist without premium members? Absolutely. I lurk on two other NCAA fan boards (both about as active as ours) and neither of them have premium memberships. All posting is free. That's the norm with internet forums from hobby to Reddit. Why do people post on niche/hobby forums? Because, at the end of the day, people are not posting due to having a subscription that motivates them to post but due to wanting to engage with a specific community.

I'd rather admin set up a patreon or some other way to give back/support good content than by dividing the basketball forum.

I'll share my final words on the topic, because I don't want to derail too much more.

Technically, yes, they are free loaders. The magnitude of the freeloading just isn't very big. They can't access premium content or boards. They're getting a free web forum to post on that I could set up in several hours for an annual cost to me of $200/yr. or so. They're presumably paying for any free articles posted through ad revenue earned from clicks.

Would the board exist without premium members? Absolutely. I lurk on two other NCAA fan boards (both about as active as ours) and neither of them have premium memberships. All posting is free. That's the norm with internet forums from hobby to Reddit. Why do people post on niche/hobby forums? Because, at the end of the day, people are not posting due to having a subscription that motivates them to post but due to wanting to engage with a specific community.

I'd rather admin set up a patreon or some other way to give back/support good content than by dividing the basketball forum.

Thanks for your insights. Maybe I'm a bit naive, but I feel if you spend a lot of time here; supporting Lou's and FA's efforts is the "right thing to do". I don't see much difference in a patreon vs. a paid membership. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

Reactions: MrScoops
The question I'm interested in is, will the additional bball board help at all w the NU bball program?

If it's possible it will, worth looking at.

I read this from the start as a signal that we can all expect to see more of the bball content behind a curtain. Not a lot of bball content to begin with.

I don't imagine Lou and team are out buying diamond-studded pinky rings with all they're making from this site. Not even Mood rings.

May be worth the effort to try it...sign up a few more...commit to a bit more content (additive to cumulative, not reclassifying existing). Pair that with
an improving team that wins and it could be worth it. And it could be a teeny, tiny factor in recruits' perception of the program.

They are freeloaders though, aren't they? Would the board exist if there were no premium members? Posters like Fitzphile and VirginiaWildcat have spent countless hours over the years on the free board without paying for a subscription ...

For goodness sakes, boys!! What are you doing? Please stop doubling down on the freeloader label!! If for no other reason than simple business logic.

You're asking people to potentially buy a product, but you're badmouthing frequent users? You might want to consider another approach.

I'll spare the thread the argument for the value of the free users. I'm sorry you haven't been able to monetize and build off this group.

However, to be fair, I can see your issue with longtime free users (guilty!!).

But, to be equally fair, you REALLY need to rethink this concept when you consider the limited amount of work put into building and managing the basketball side of this site.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT