ADVERTISEMENT

Prayers for Matt Stewart

ChappyCat

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2015
Michigan
Hey all, because he posted this on FB, I figure I can make the rest of you aware. Former Wildcat Walk-On Matt Stewart, from the 1995 and 1996 Big Ten Champs teams found out he has the early stages of colon cancer. Fortunately they noticed it early enough to where he is optimistic surgery can remove it but he strongly urges anyone over 45 to get scoped. He didn’t want to do it but his wife insisted it would make her feel better, and luckily for Matt, they caught it early enough.

Please keep Stew in your prayers that he can overcome this. Sucks.

Keep in good health,
-Chappy

Hey all, because he posted this on FB, I figure I can make the rest of you aware. Former Wildcat Walk-On Matt Stewart, from the 1995 and 1996 Big Ten Champs teams found out he has the early stages of colon cancer. Fortunately they noticed it early enough to where he is optimistic surgery can remove it but he strongly urges anyone over 45 to get scoped. He didn’t want to do it but his wife insisted it would make her feel better, and luckily for Matt, they caught it early enough.

Please keep Stew in your prayers that he can overcome this. Sucks.

Keep in good health,
-Chappy

Best wishes to Matt for a full recovery.

I got one done with an endoscopy last year. While conventionally, you're supposed to get it when you turn 50, my doctor said the data shows that prevalence of colon cancer begins to rise significantly at 45, so I would reiterate Matt's suggestion to get it done when you hit 45. Also, no matter what they say - you can't go back to normal feeding immediately after. Take it easy. I had a full lasagna meal as my first meal and it was much worse on me than the preparation, which I found to be easier than expected.

Reactions: rmndcat
Never had one. I can't afford it. Maybe in a year or so.

Never had one. I can't afford it. Maybe in a year or so.
Can't afford not to, so perhaps a substitute like cologuard would do as a substitute. This disease is silent until it is advanced and hard to cure. Look into at least a screening which does not cost that much.;

Had mine last Tuesday. Prep was the worst part. Far worse than any COIVD test.

I really didn't think it was that bad. Flushed out the system a bit. Lost a kilo or two in the process. It was like a detox. Yeah, had to sit on the pot a ton, but when you have one of those Japanese seats with the heated seats and warm pulsating rinse, you don't get diaper rash from constant wiping. In fact, those seats are a real wonder - I recommend it to everyone as a surprisingly life-changing purchase. It makes a trip to the pot kind of a guilty pleasure I look forward to during the course of the day. I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but sometimes I'll go sit on the pot, even when I don't have to take a dump, just for that warm rinse, which makes you feel fresh and ready for anything every time. Certainly something that will make your preparation for the procedure much more pleasant.

I really didn't think it was that bad. Flushed out the system a bit. Lost a kilo or two in the process. It was like a detox. Yeah, had to sit on the pot a ton, but when you have one of those Japanese seats with the heated seats and warm pulsating rinse, you don't get diaper rash from constant wiping. In fact, those seats are a real wonder - I recommend it to everyone as a surprisingly life-changing purchase. It makes a trip to the pot kind of a guilty pleasure I look forward to during the course of the day. I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but sometimes I'll go sit on the pot, even when I don't have to take a dump, just for that warm rinse, which makes you feel fresh and ready for anything every time. Certainly something that will make your preparation for the procedure much more pleasant.

I was referring to the taste of the "drink"...was like poison. Disgusting.

Don’t know if you saw Audige’s face last night as he tasted whatever he was taking to rehydrate after his cramp, but I imagine your face looked similar.

I am a gastroenterologist. The American Cancer Society recommendation, now supported by the US Preventative Task Force, supports starting colon cancer screening at age 45. One of the few preventable cancers. Please be pro-active!
I lost a dear family member to colorectal cancer in his mid-30s.

Start even sooner if you have a family history or Crohn’s / ulcerative colitis, folks.

I hope Mr. Stewart makes a full recovery.

I was referring to the taste of the "drink"...was like poison. Disgusting.

Had my first 5-years ago and am due for round deux (or is that deuce?) soon. The event itself didn't even rise to the level of a thing (because I was out, which my doc insisted on, because, in his words, men are wusses. No argument.), but Mother of God! The prep cocktail, ugh 🤢 ! I was told to mix mine with Crystal Light...haven't been able to even sniff lemonade since.

All that said, agree with GI Cat. Get screened, y'all.

Get screened, and get a Japanese warm rinse bidette. It will make the experience that much more bearable, and beyond that it will be a life changing purchase, I promise you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT