ADVERTISEMENT

Predict the spread next week in Lincoln

Watching Nebraska's defense stuff the Spartans last night is cause for concern. I underestimated the Cornhuskers. They allowed ZERO first downs to Michigan State in the second half and appeared to have the game won 20-13 until they gave up a 63 yard punt return for a TD, sending the game to OT. Spartans were fortunate to get the win at home.

Spartans had 5 possessions in 2nd half, each time they went three and out and punted. 15 plays, 14 yards... total. Nebraska 49 plays, 234 yards total offense in the 2nd half.

I'll guess the line opens at 14.5

Watching Nebraska's defense stuff the Spartans last night is cause for concern. I underestimated the Cornhuskers. They allowed ZERO first downs to Michigan State in the second half and appeared to have the game won 20-13 until they gave up a 63 yard punt return for a TD, sending the game to OT. Spartans were fortunate to get the win at home.

Spartans had 5 possessions in 2nd half, each time they went three and out and punted. 15 plays, 14 yards... total. Nebraska 49 plays, 234 yards total offense in the 2nd half.

You could be right. 14.5 of points for a Nebraska team that has struggled offensively, but it’s hard to argue with given how bad the cats are right now.

Reactions: rmndcat
You could be right. 14.5 of points for a Nebraska team that has struggled offensively, but it’s hard to argue with given how bad the cats are right now.
Looks like it is 10 points.

With Adrian Martinez playing fairly well now and Nebraska likely to shut down our running game, we had better find a way to get the ball deep to Robinson (who actually gets open) or we are going to get smoked. I just don't see us winning this game. Hope I'm wrong, but 35-10 seems about right.

With Adrian Martinez playing fairly well now and Nebraska likely to shut down our running game, we had better find a way to get the ball deep to Robinson (who actually gets open) or we are going to get smoked. I just don't see us winning this game. Hope I'm wrong, but 35-10 seems about right.

did you get arch Martinez play against MSU? Particularly the end of the game.

Its gonna be a tough game for us. We don't fare well vs. running QB's and their defense looks legit. I don't like the looks of this one at all. But it seems every year I think this, and we come up with our A game and pull out a tough road win. Past history says I'd be dumb to count out our team, but not real optimistic on this game. Good test for Hilinksi.

Opened at -8 at Circa Sports, immediately went to 10. Its Frost and the huskers hard to lay 10 against anyone.

MSU used two trick plays to score 14 of their points,,,the punt return where the other guy drew the crowd and a running back pitching the ball back to the qb......do you see us being creative?

Reactions: Arlcatsfan
Its gonna be a tough game for us. We don't fare well vs. running QB's and their defense looks legit. I don't like the looks of this one at all. But it seems every year I think this, and we come up with our A game and pull out a tough road win. Past history says I'd be dumb to count out our team, but not real optimistic on this game. Good test for Hilinksi.

Opened at -8 at Circa Sports, immediately went to 10. Its Frost and the huskers hard to lay 10 against anyone.

I think NU is primed to take a meaningful step up and play its best game of the year this weekend. We’ll see if It’s enough.

Reactions: Darren72

did you get arch Martinez play against MSU? Particularly the end of the game.

The key to playing Nebraska is to stop worrying about offense and defense or matchups. Those things don't matter vs. Nebraska.

Opponents have scored 86 points in 5 games this year vs. Nebraska. The defense has only allowed 68 of those points.

- Ilinois - 2 points scored off a safety on punt return, and 7 points off a scoop and score fumble. Two missed Nebraska field goals. You do the math on an 8 point game.

- Oklahoma - 2 points scored off a blocked PAT - 2 missed field goals - You do the math on a 7 point game.

- Michigan State - 7 points scored off a Punt return for a TD - Nebraska gave up 78 yards in field position in the punting game with 1 return for - 2 yards. Nebraska also had a 7 yard shank punt. Again. We can all do the math.

So if you think Nebraska should beat Northwestern by 2 touchdowns, you need to first subtract 7 to 10 points. And if a game is suddenly a 3 to 5 point game late, all it takes is one big play to spark a win over Nebraska.

Sagarin has us as about 6 point dog on a neutral field. Thats including all the random miscues by Nebraska. (Sagarin is fairly simple and unbiased - he just uses the raw scores and minimizes the total error to come up with his ratings) If you want to spin it positively, our previous results include plenty of Hunter Johnson, so having Hilinski at QB means we're better than our rating.

If we can run on their defense I will be very pleasantly surprised. My hope is that we were sandbagging against Ohio and that Hilinski can actually throw deep successfully on the Cornhuskers. I don't know if Nebraska's secondary is any good - I sure hope it isn't - but they didn't give up that much to Oklahoma, so how are we going to put points on the board? I'm hoping Hilinski and Stephon Robinson make some plays.

If we don't throw downfield we will never be able to run on them.

Reactions: ricko654321
The key to playing Nebraska is to stop worrying about offense and defense or matchups. Those things don't matter vs. Nebraska.

Opponents have scored 86 points in 5 games this year vs. Nebraska. The defense has only allowed 68 of those points.

- Ilinois - 2 points scored off a safety on punt return, and 7 points off a scoop and score fumble. Two missed Nebraska field goals. You do the math on an 8 point game.

- Oklahoma - 2 points scored off a blocked PAT - 2 missed field goals - You do the math on a 7 point game.

- Michigan State - 7 points scored off a Punt return for a TD - Nebraska gave up 78 yards in field position in the punting game with 1 return for - 2 yards. Nebraska also had a 7 yard shank punt. Again. We can all do the math.

So if you think Nebraska should beat Northwestern by 2 touchdowns, you need to first subtract 7 to 10 points. And if a game is suddenly a 3 to 5 point game late, all it takes is one big play to spark a win over Nebraska.
So your prescription is "hang around and wait for Nebraska to self-destruct"? It's worked before...

• Haha
MSU used two trick plays to score 14 of their points,,,the punt return where the other guy drew the crowd and a running back pitching the ball back to the qb......do you see us being creative?

That punt return wasn't really about Michigan State being creative. Nebraska's second string punter entered the game because the first punter shanked a 7 yarder earlier in the game.

The 2nd string dude is from Australia and literally doesn't understand the sport. He seriously kicked the ball to the wrong returner. Nebraska's coverage was set up to cover the man on the opposite side of the field.

So yes @phatcat , this is what it means to wait for Nebraska to self destruct.

Oklahoma's quarterback is in a bit of a slump this year. Got booed during the narrow win over West Virginia. We are going to have to pass downfield to be in this game.

Feels like easy money to take the Huskers and give the points.
Agreed-I’m likely going to put $100 on Nebraska to cover. Probably will buy a point just to be safe. The only way the Cats cover is if Martinez turns the ball over a ton. Can’t see Hilinski moving the ball through the air or our slow LBs beating Martinez to the edge.

Feels like easy money to take the Huskers and give the points.

LOL, you should bet if you feel that way. I look at it the other way and say that there is no way that either team is winning this game by 10 points or more with the offenses they have.

If we can run on their defense I will be very pleasantly surprised. My hope is that we were sandbagging against Ohio and that Hilinski can actually throw deep successfully on the Cornhuskers. I don't know if Nebraska's secondary is any good - I sure hope it isn't - but they didn't give up that much to Oklahoma, so how are we going to put points on the board? I'm hoping Hilinski and Stephon Robinson make some plays.

If we don't throw downfield we will never be able to run on them.
At some level NU went into the safe running game to protect the win. I'm not sure I'd call that sandbagging but Nu didn't need pass so they didn't. It didn't give Hilinski much practice throwing but he and the rest of the team did get some time together in live action so better than no reps at all. Gonna have to be more versatile this week for sure because we wound be able to muscle Nebraska like we did Ohio.

Since Nebby played even with MSU and MSU beat NU by 17, Nebby by 10 seems conservative.

Maybe NU has improved some, but Ohio passed comfortably against NU for 166 and about 67% completion.

Nebby by 14.

Agreed-I’m likely going to put $100 on Nebraska to cover. Probably will buy a point just to be safe. The only way the Cats cover is if Martinez turns the ball over a ton. Can’t see Hilinski moving the ball through the air or our slow LBs beating Martinez to the edge.
That’s why I’m not a fan of sports betting. It turns people into dirty, rotten traitors.

• Haha
Vegas is still betting on the Huskers, with the line moving to -11 or even -12 at some places.

Vegas is still betting on the Huskers, with the line moving to -11 or even -12 at some places.
I have never bet on an NU game, and I won't. The closest I came was when we were down-and-out in 2014 and headed to Happy Valley. I took the NU club bus from DC up for the game. I was SURE we would lose. That was Anthony Walker's coming-out party.

More recently, on Reddit, a poster was asking people's opinion on good bets last week. I said we couldn't seem to find our butt with either hand, and I'd take Ohio and the points. People responded yeah but Ohio is terrible, etc, but I stuck to that prediction. Plus Mike Fitz said so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT