ADVERTISEMENT

Providence - What Do We Expect?

7th Cir. Cat

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2006
Let's (try) to collectively pull ourselves out of the funk. It's game day!

What do we expect to see at Providence? CC admitted that his scheme didn't work for Merrimack.

Do we think there will be some changes to the starting lineup?

Will we see some zone?

One adjustment is that I think Jared Jones gets a big bump in minutes.

Let's (try) to collectively pull ourselves out of the funk. It's game day!

What do we expect to see at Providence? CC admitted that his scheme didn't work for Merrimack.

Do we think there will be some changes to the starting lineup?

Will we see some zone?

One adjustment is that I think Jared Jones gets a big bump in minutes.
Wait and see! It's early

It's got to be better, right?

Right? Anyone? Bueller? Hel-lo-lo-lo-lo? That had to be rock bottom, right?

I hope we'll see more from Gaines on either side of the floor if his shoulder allows it.

I'm also interested to see how Young and Nance play in traffic. Do they continue to play hot potato?

Ahh, Providence got David Duke, who we recruited a few years ago. Unforgettable name.

I hope CC plays Buie a lot tonight and the rest of the season and that we try as much as possible to feature Kopp in the offense. Both guys have shown signs they can creat shots ... and they are critical to the program's future.

I hope CC plays Buie a lot tonight and the rest of the season and that we try as much as possible to feature Kopp in the offense. Both guys have shown signs they can creat shots ... and they are critical to the program's future.
I haven't seen any evidence that Kopp can create a shot. He seems to be a spot-up jump shooter. Rarely does he drive to the bucket or take a pull-up jumper.

Reactions: NUCat320
I'm hoping that the issue was that NU just didn't take Merrimack seriously and we simply don't have the talent to overlook anyone. I'm expecting improvement. I'll go out on a limb and say that Merrimack was rock bottom and that we will see a better effort against Providence.

Hoping to see a lot more Buie and Jones

I haven't seen any evidence that Kopp can create a shot. He seems to be a spot-up jump shooter. Rarely does he drive to the bucket or take a pull-up jumper.

I believe you are correct on this and I think this is a microcosm of the overall issues on the team going back to last year. It seems that because of deficiencies in certain areas (last year it was PG...and maybe it will be PG again this year), we are forced to play guys that are out of position and make them play in a way that is not their strength. Ideally, Kopp is a guy that doesn't handle the ball a ton and you work to get involved with more cuts to the basket and spot up shots, but because we don't have many players that can create and handle the ball, he's forced to take on more of that. There are other examples of players that have to do this as well.

We’re already playing for next year. Get Buie and Jones on the court.

I am very excited for my first look at the team. I hope I’m still excited at the under-12.

Reactions: IGNORE
It's apparently 80s night at the arena for those going, let's just hope they play like the 1983 team and not like the Bill Foster teams.

I'm hoping that the issue was that NU just didn't take Merrimack seriously and we simply don't have the talent to overlook anyone. I'm expecting improvement. I'll go out on a limb and say that Merrimack was rock bottom and that we will see a better effort against Providence.

Hoping to see a lot more Buie and Jones

You are overlooking the elephant in the room.

That was a really good team. Andre Goode, Michael Jenkins, Gaddis Rathel, Art Aaron, and of course Jim Stack. I still think it was better than the NCAA team.
Per Sports Reference's Simple Rating System, it ranks the Top 10 NU teams as follows:

2016-17 Tourney team - 14.02
2010-11 team (NIT QF) - 11.66
1958-59 team (Joe Rucklick's Sr year, tied for 2nd in Big Ten, only MSU made tourney) - 11.14
1998-99 team (Esch's Sr year, 6 game losing streak to end season) - 10.82
1993-94 team (2nd rd NIT) - 10.80
2015-16 team (the year before the Year) - 10.16
2018-19 team (I guess the B1G was really good...) - 9.97
2017-18 team (hmm...) - 9.63
2011-12 team (Shurna's Sr year, 2nd rd NIT) - 8.87
1968-69 team (got nothing) - 8.58

Honorable mention goes to the 2008-09 and 2009-10 teams, along with the 1982-83 team (only ranked 16th!) which all went to the NIT, but apparently were "worse" than the two vastly underachieving Collins teams.

I’m hoping we don’t put the ball in Ryan Young’s hands with the game on the line...

I did not see the first game so no idea how he played or what he did against Merrimack. Curious your thoughts? He seemed to have solid game including being clutch down the stretch. He also brought a lot of energy to the team against Providence. He seems to struggle on defensive end as he lacks quickness and explosiveness. If he can hit his free throws then he might actually prove very valuable to the team down the stretch this season in close games?

I did not see the first game so no idea how he played or what he did against Merrimack. Curious your thoughts? He seemed to have solid game including being clutch down the stretch. He also brought a lot of energy to the team against Providence. He seems to struggle on defensive end as he lacks quickness and explosiveness. If he can hit his free throws then he might actually prove very valuable to the team down the stretch this season in close games?

His play was so much better last night. He’s still moved awkwardly and hasn’t shown great hands thus far, but that should improve. I’m also worried about his rebounding. He gave up numerous offensive rebounds last night.

Reactions: BigCatCT
It's got to be better, right?

Right? Anyone? Bueller? Hel-lo-lo-lo-lo? That had to be rock bottom, right?

I hope we'll see more from Gaines on either side of the floor if his shoulder allows it.

I'm also interested to see how Young and Nance play in traffic. Do they continue to play hot potato?

Young can pass. I mean really pass. Great vision.

Not good when our bigs put it on the floor. Big Ten opponents will be looking for that.

Young can pass. I mean really pass. Great vision.

Not good when our bigs put it on the floor. Big Ten opponents will be looking for that.

I agree with his potential to be a hell of a passer. But I also agree his hands are - shall we say - a work in progress.

How many times did multiple players spin to the middle to meet a double team?

The Cats rotation on defense also needs work. How many times last night was there a Friar wide - I mean, WIDE- open underneath?

It's an extremely young team. There's some work to do, but only a small section of the sky is falling. (Yes, the sky can fall in segments. It's a scientific fact.)

I agree with his potential to be a hell of a passer. But I also agree his hands are - shall we say - a work in progress.

How many times did multiple players spin to the middle to meet a double team?

The Cats rotation on defense also needs work. How many times last night was there a Friar wide - I mean, WIDE- open underneath?

It's an extremely young team. There's some work to do, but only a small section of the sky is falling. (Yes, the sky can fall in segments. It's a scientific fact.)

Wide open under the basket isn’t worse case as long as player w the ball is trapped w no direct passing lane.

Long time reader, first time posting.

Extremely excited about last night :)

Just wanted to add to the zone comments:
1) Don't understand putting a big man in the back of the 1-3-1 zone.
2) The player in the back of the zone has to cover the corners. What tends to happen with a big man is too many wide open corner shots. Which it happened, and Providence was missing them.
3) What also tends to happen is seeing the big man swinging too much out of the paint. Which leads to problems rebounding
4) The big man needs to be in the middle, covering the opposing players posting in the painted area, whether down low or at the free throw line
5) Put a more mobile dude in the back of the zone. Or the B1G teams will eat us alive when we use it.

Go Cats!

2) The player in the back of the zone has to cover the corners. What tends to happen with a big man is too many wide open corner shots. Which it happened, and Providence was missing them.
3) What also tends to happen is seeing the big man swinging too much out of the paint. Which leads to problems rebounding
4) The big man needs to be in the middle, covering the opposing players posting in the painted area, whether down low or at the free throw line
5) Put a more mobile dude in the back of the zone. Or the B1G teams will eat us alive when we use it.

Go Cats!
Great first post. Having a big close to the baseline also does negates the length he can offer in occupying passing lanes to weak side wings. Also a much better position for rebounding when teams are shooting from the outside.

Go Cats!

It was for rebounding purposes. We are already getting killed in the boards. CC didn’t want to exacerbate the problem.

It was for rebounding purposes. We are already getting killed in the boards. CC didn’t want to exacerbate the problem.

I don't see how that helps rebounding.
1) Big man swings to corners, he is away from the basket.
2) Big man stays static, and we saw a lot of that last night, and he is not matching up with any opponent. He is close to the basket, but not boxing out anyone
3) Big man plays the middle of the zone = he is still close to the basket and likely to box out an opponent.

I was living in Louisville the last 3 years. And was given Cardinals tickets frequently. Chris Mack did the same thing on multiple occasions. Last year I saw it happening multiple times. Typically the 1-3-1 would last a few minutes, it worked poorly with Enoch (big guy) in the back.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Typically the 1-3-1 would last a few minutes, it worked poorly with Enoch (big guy) in the back.

Well...it worked for us last night. The 1-3-1 isn’t a recipe for long term success, but it’s great for pulling out in an important fame and surprising a team unprepared for it, like last night.

Reactions: GatoLouco
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT