ADVERTISEMENT

PWOs

IGNORE2

Mar 12, 2005
How many PWOs does a team usually carry? Is there an NCAA limit?

Seems like we have picked up quite a few this year - kicker, QB, I think an RB and LB.

How many PWOs does a team usually carry? Is there an NCAA limit?

Seems like we have picked up quite a few this year - kicker, QB, I think an RB and LB.

20, assuming the full scholarship allotment of 85 is used. Have to be under 105 for preseason, but then technically unlimited.

Who are the PWOs? Always interested in those as both I (football) and my daughter (lax) were this at NU.

Love that there are two linemen in the PWOs - hoping one can surprise. The more depth we have there, the better.

Reactions: NUCat320
Trey Finison is a very impressive P/K. Into the end zone deep, up to 50 yds on FGs, and 40+ yards with great hang time on punts.
Agree whole heartedly. I said something similar a while back after watching his tape. very strong leg and accurate. A great pick up. I suspect he'll be seeing a schholie before he's through.

Agree whole heartedly. I said something similar a while back after watching his tape. very strong leg and accurate. A great pick up. I suspect he'll be seeing a schholie before he's through.

Just got a chance to pull up Finison's tape; while the majority of his FGs annoyingly occur with the holder's back to the sideline camera, note that it appears he's kicking off a block, which is a HUGE difference compared to college. You can see the holder reach down to pick up the block in some of the clips.

Kicking off a block makes it much easier to get quick lift on kicks and it's a very significant adjustment to kick off the ground.

Still flashes plenty of leg strength on kickoffs and can hopefully contribute there sooner than later, but wanted to point out this subtle but extremely important detail when I saw it.

Reactions: Gladeskat
Just got a chance to pull up Finison's tape; while the majority of his FGs annoyingly occur with the holder's back to the sideline camera, note that it appears he's kicking off a block, which is a HUGE difference compared to college. You can see the holder reach down to pick up the block in some of the clips.

Kicking off a block makes it much easier to get quick lift on kicks and it's a very significant adjustment to kick off the ground.

Still flashes plenty of leg strength on kickoffs and can hopefully contribute there sooner than later, but wanted to point out this subtle but extremely important detail when I saw it.

Good point / catch- but Isn't safe to assume though that all HS kickers use a tee though? Or is this comment more for those that see him kicking 50 yard FGs with room to spare and think that can translate day 1?

Good point / catch- but Isn't safe to assume though that all HS kickers use a tee though? Or is this comment more for those that see him kicking 50 yard FGs with room to spare and think that can translate day 1?

Not really a safe assumption, at least amongst many of the "top" kickers out there. Those guys often transition to kicking without a tee for a year or two in high school to ease the transition to college.

Comment is more to your second point, namely that there may be a transition period for his FG kicking in particular. Perhaps this is part of the reason he wanted to enroll early.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Not really a safe assumption, at least amongst many of the "top" kickers out there. Those guys often transition to kicking without a tee for a year or two in high school to ease the transition to college.

Comment is more to your second point, namely that there may be a transition period for his FG kicking in particular. Perhaps this is part of the reason he wanted to enroll early.
That's ok.... we don't kick FGs anyway.

Good to know, thanks.

There was a Joe Tiller story about recruiting a punter from big sky country, based on video only. Turns out, it was *really windy*.

Reactions: mikewebb68
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT