ADVERTISEMENT

QB misfortune parallel to 2019

torque-cat

Dec 11, 2018
The QB situation this year is almost exactly what we saw in 2019. That year we had graduated an all big ten caliber starter, HJ did not live up to fans' hopes and an experienced senior backup quickly started moving the offense only to have a season ending injury in his first game. There are very few programs that can overcome that trio misfortunate at QB, (not to mention Hank's retirement). I truly believe if we have Ramsey and Hank this season, we are very much a big ten west contender. Even with Marty and JON, I would have a lot of hope. But with Marty now also seriously injured it would require a dramatic ramp up by Hilinski which seems difficult in-season. But still excited to root for the team and learn our lessons this year, if it comes to that.

Reactions: StreamCat
The QB situation this year is almost exactly what we saw in 2019. That year we had graduated an all big ten caliber starter, HJ did not live up to fans' hopes and an experienced senior backup quickly started moving the offense only to have a season ending injury in his first game. There are very few programs that can overcome that trio misfortunate at QB, (not to mention Hank's retirement). I truly believe if we have Ramsey and Hank this season, we are very much a big ten west contender. Even with Marty and JON, I would have a lot of hope. But with Marty now also seriously injured it would require a dramatic ramp up by Hilinski which seems difficult in-season. But still excited to root for the team and learn our lessons this year, if it comes to that.
I just don’t get it with Hunter. He must have had a great camp and he had a pretty good first 5 quarters of the season. Their decision to roll with him and give him all the first team reps looks really bad.

Reactions: NJcatsfan
Agreed

I just don’t get it with Hunter. He must have had a great camp and he had a pretty good first 5 quarters of the season. Their decision to roll with him and give him all the first team reps looks really bad.
He looked solid the first game

No offense to the man, but I think he does well in a red jersey. It's just not the same at game speed. I was so hopeful for him after the MSU loss, but ISU and Duke games were 2019 redux

Re Hilinski, he is better than Aidan Smith. He just is. Also the RBs and WRs look better than 2019 but that could be getting rid of Moribund Mick

Last edited:
Reactions: NUCat320
No offense to the man, but I think he does well in a red jersey. It's just not the same at game speed. I was so hopeful for him after the MSU loss, but ISU and Duke games were 2019 reduced.

Re Hilinski, he is better than Aidan Smith. He just is. Also the RBs and WRs look better than 2019 but that could be getting rid of Moribund Mick

I didn’t think the OL could be worse than 2019…jury is still out on this year’s OL.

No offense to the man, but I think he does well in a red jersey. It's just not the same at game speed. I was so hopeful for him after the MSU loss, but ISU and Duke games were 2019 redux

The offense is certainly better than the 2019 version, but the 2019 defense looks to be SIGNIFICANTLY ahead of this years unit. Northwestern will likely be underdogs in all their remaining games excluding possibly Illinois.

Behind closed doors I think even Fitz realizes 3-9 is a real possibility this season. It’s a shame because had Marty started from game 1 and stayed healthy I think this team could have realistically had a shot at a bowl game.

He also seems to be the type of QB that puts gas on the fire so to speak. I’ve noticed when he makes a mistake he usually doesn’t respond well.

The difference between 2019 and now is that we have a 4-5* backup. Whether he is more up to the task than HJ was, is yet to be seen. On the downside, do we only have one scholarship QB behind Hilinski?

This situation reminds me of 1618 and the events that led to the defenestration at Prague Castle, and ultimately the Thirty Years War.
So that's your way of saying JON needs to chucked out a window?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Hungry Jack
ADVERTISEMENT