ADVERTISEMENT

QB: Now What?

gocatsgo2003

Gold Member
Mar 30, 2006
While Deuce Wallace's decommitment is tough to take, it was not entirely surprising. The surprising part is the timing, what with Wallace visiting campus twice within a month, starting to recruit other players on our behalf, and seemingly being "all in" in his interviews, on Twitter, etc. To me, a kid from Tennessee by way of Louisiana always seemed more likely to end up somewhere down south. Hopefully the coaches also saw the possibility that Deuce would end up elsewhere and kept doors open for other QB prospects.

But now what? Do we re-focus on the two remaining offered prospects? Widen the net with evaluations during the spring period?

Here's my take on the possible QB targets, with the offered prospects coming first (click the names to check out tape):

Joshua Jackson: Easy to tell that Jackson has been around football all his life. Even with it being a highlight tape, he makes timely, accurate throws with the right ball speed -- varying ball speed is a skill that most high school quarterbacks lack. A pretty good athlete, he would be less of a true run threat, but still capable of keeping a defense honest. Arm strength may be a touch below ideal, but good enough and works well with timely decisions and accuracy. Seems to throw a very catchable ball. Throws effectively on the run.

Anthony Brown, Jr.: Very interesting prospect that can do a lot on the field. Has a whole lot of tools, but is just starting to learn how to use them. For a slight guy who's more athlete than quarterback at this point, he flashes the ability to get on top of the ball and drive it into the seams. The ball surprisingly jumps out of his hand. A very capable athlete who would be a true run threat with the ball. Even if he isn't a quarterback, he could probably be an effective receiver. I'm intrigued that he put us in his recently-published top five even when Wallace was still committed. Would be the perfect kind of guy to take behind Thorson, redshirt to refine his QB skills and put on some weight, then figure out how to get him on the field.

All in all, I would be happy with either (or both) of these guys as QBs in the class. Jackson is probably the higher-floor guy while Brown is the higher-ceiling guy. I would imagine that Fitz reached out to both of them in the past 12 hours, saying "things have changed on our end. It's still 'first-come, first-served' at the QB position. Your call."

That said, there seem to be some local backup options in the event we don't get Jackson or Brown:

Steven Frank (Oswego/IL): Illinois and MAC offers to date. Much more of a "traditional QB" than the others at 6-4 215 with less mobility. A slightly longer release, but gets the ball out with pretty good arm strength. Probably a guy that the coaches would want to see throw in person or in a camp setting.

Matt Little (Evanston/IL): Yes he's currently committed to Western Michigan, but I don't think that would last long if the B1G school up the street came calling. Reminds me a little of Lloyd Yates with slightly less mobility and better size. A work in progress as a passer, he tends to "cup" the ball in the middle of his release, which decreases arm strength considerably. Can move around in the pocket and make throws. Another guy who coaches would probably want in camp or see in person (which is considerably easier than some other prospects on the board).

It would be ideal to get a QB on board quickly and interesting to watch how quickly coaches might move down their list from Jackson and Brown if neither jump on board sooner rather than later.

I think that is us just dreaming that Thorson is that good. Great QBs want good competition and injury is only a play away. Besides even if you redshirted and then played behind Thorson, you would still get two years. Very few Qbs can really hope for more than two years unless they are dreaming like we are. Good luck with that in real life.

Originally posted by Hungry Jack:
Does the presence of Thorson really act as a deterrent to current QB recruits? Not saying it is/was for Deuce (seems clear it wasn't), but it seems to be a popular theory.
I'm sure someone is going to say something like "No D1 player with his salt is going to be worried about playing time," but athletes want to play, and they do look at the depth chart. I think having Alviti and Thorson on the roster last year scared away some Quarterbacks. In general, unseating a starter that has had any success is tough. If a coach knows he can get 7-8 wins and keep his job with a particular QB, he'll stay with him. Going to a younger QB and losing it what would cost the coach his job.

In this class, the QBs will be 2 classes behind Thorson, and 3 behind Alviti. Additionally, neither player has really played much. I wouldn't think anyone in the current class would be worried about it as you would have at least 2 years.

I'm basically making this up, but my theory is that we were close with Joshua Jackson when Deuce committed. Deuce got scared that he would lose NU's offer if Jackson was on board and "committed" to NU to hold on to the offer while he was deciding.

Originally posted by realcatfan:

I'm sure someone is going to say something like "No D1 player with his salt is going to be worried about playing time," but athletes want to play, and they do look at the depth chart. I think having Alviti and Thorson on the roster last year scared away some Quarterbacks. In general, unseating a starter that has had any success is tough. If a coach knows he can get 7-8 wins and keep his job with a particular QB, he'll stay with him. Going to a younger QB and losing it what would cost the coach his job.

In this class, the QBs will be 2 classes behind Thorson, and 3 behind Alviti. Additionally, neither player has really played much. I wouldn't think anyone in the current class would be worried about it as you would have at least 2 years.

I'm basically making this up, but my theory is that we were close with Joshua Jackson when Deuce committed. Deuce got scared that he would lose NU's offer if Jackson was on board and "committed" to NU to hold on to the offer while he was deciding.
Agree with you at least on the point that Thorson and Alviti shouldn't scare any QB recruits (yet). They are both unproven commodities and we are clearly in a QB battle right now that should make NU appeal to any senior QB prospect.

I think Fitz and McCall would love to "know" they could get 7-8 wins out of any QB, but fortunately for them, they can do pretty much whatever they want and keep their jobs. To that end, if anything should be a deterrent to a QB recruit, it would be the likelihood of Fitz giving the snaps to an upperclassmen over a younger QB unless the younger guy is ~150% better, 100% of the time.

I think all 3 of the QB's offered have had legitimate interest in NU. Deuce was committed for a month. Neither Jackson or Brown committed anywhere after Deuce committed to us. Based on some recent information it appears we at least had some communication with Brown after the Deuce commit. The decommit possibility always seemed there especially with the "surprise" same day commit on a car ride home.

I predict we fill the QB hole with a commit before month end. Wouldn't be surprised if it is this week. I think both Jackson and Brown are interested and it might very well be first come first serve. I would not mind if we took them both and sacrificed at another position. Missing a QB in a class a few years back makes us short on depth. Jackson looks a little more ready now, but Brown's athletisim is noteworthy. If we could somehow manage to get both, a decision could be made 2 years down the road to move either Yates or Brown to get their talents on the field. I am not saying either cant play QB, but they could help at other areas too.

Originally posted by Hungry Jack:
Does the presence of Thorson really act as a deterrent to current QB recruits? Not saying it is/was for Deuce (seems clear it wasn't), but it seems to be a popular theory.
Not really, no. That feels more like an excuse than anything else.

If anything, heading to Vanderbilt is slightly worse as they still have former four-star McCrary for three more years and he's actually established himself on the field.

Looking ahead one year, what are the chances that Hunter Johnson will commit to NU?

O really like Frank amd Little, but not sure the latter is capable of all the throws in NUs system.

I like our chances with Hunter Johnson. Not saying he will commit to us, but I am guessing we will be on his short list.

Missing a QB in a class a few years back makes us short on depth. Jackson looks a little more ready now, but Brown's athletisim is noteworthy. If we could somehow manage to get both, a decision could be made 2 years down the road to move either Yates or Brown to get their talents on the field. I am not saying either cant play QB, but they could help at other areas too.

Probably would be fine w/ just one.

After Oliver departs, that would leave 4 QBs on the roster (including preferred walk-on TJ Green).

ADVERTISEMENT