ADVERTISEMENT

QB Transfers - What was the point?

rwesley264

Jul 2, 2006
After Ramsey, Johnson and Hilinsky, we have ended up with a homegrown guy starting at QB. Ramsey was a very good qb, a key part of winning the West last year and probably played the best bowl game of any qb I can remember. But, wouldn't we have been better off starting Marty in 2020 and letting him develop? If we did that, we'd have an experienced qb leading the team and would have won at least 3 more games. If he comes back next year, we'd have an even more experienced qb and the offense would be even better.

I appreciate everything Ramsey, Johnson and Hilinsky have given to NU. They are purple through and through but let's focus on our guys. The transfer system is not a substitute for player development.

After Ramsey, Johnson and Hilinsky, we have ended up with a homegrown guy starting at QB. Ramsey was a very good qb, a key part of winning the West last year and probably played the best bowl game of any qb I can remember. But, wouldn't we have been better off starting Marty in 2020 and letting him develop? If we did that, we'd have an experienced qb leading the team and would have won at least 3 more games. If he comes back next year, we'd have an even more experienced qb and the offense would be even better.

I appreciate everything Ramsey, Johnson and Hilinsky have given to NU. They are purple through and through but let's focus on our guys. The transfer system is not a substitute for player development.

I thought winning the B1G West for the second time in three years in 2020 was pretty cool, personally.

You play the guys who give you the best chance at winning. In 2020 that was Ramsey and definitely not Marty.

I kind of think they’re “homegrown guys” the moment they decide to be Northwestern football players.

Personally, I think it’s cool that Ramsey spent three years at IU but reached his greatest heights at NU, and that Trey Klock scored a bowl game TD at NU (and still has it as his pinned Twitter tweet, presumably forever).

I’m also amused that Russell Wilson gave three great years to NCSt but is known as a beeeaaaadger.

Johnson may be ok! Gotta develop those guys

I agree with the overarching point that a program like Northwestern will be better served if it can successfully recruit and develop its own players, particularly QBs. Relying on the transfer portal regularly to plug holes in the depth chart at QB is a hit or miss proposition and will not enable the program to sustain the steady progress and consistent success that it has for the most part achieved under Fitz.

Reactions: 7th Cir. Cat
I agree with the overarching point that a program like Northwestern will be better served if it can successfully recruit and develop its own players, particularly QBs. Relying on the transfer portal regularly to plug holes in the depth chart at QB is a hit or miss proposition and will not enable the program to sustain the steady progress and consistent success that it has for the most part achieved under Fitz.
We also may not have the best eye for QB talent in the portal. HJ was a bust, RH seems mediocre at best and I don't think he starts for any other team in the conference (maybe Illinois because they lost their starter). QB Room (finding, developing, preparing QBs) needs an overhaul.

We also may not have the best eye for QB talent in the portal. HJ was a bust, RH seems mediocre at best and I don't think he starts for any other team in the conference (maybe Illinois because they lost their starter). QB Room (finding, developing, preparing QBs) needs an overhaul.
Hilinski had a very good year as a freshman in the SEC, then got stuck as a backup due to favoritism shown by his new OC, who brought his QB with him when he got fired from Colorado State.

I believe the reason Hilinski looks ‘mediocre at best’ ( and the reason HuJo played afraid) is due to ‘extenuating circumstances’ included but limited to an O-line that is bad at blocking and a WR room that hasn’t produced a notable ‘homegrown’ talent for years.

Marty is mobile in a way Hilinski and HuJo are not, which mitigates the OL problems some.

HuJo was a bust and Hilinski has been weak, but, like, Ramsey won the division.

Like everyone, I’d prefer a Thorson every four years. But I’d take talent from wherever.

Reactions: NUCats

The transfer system can mean the difference between winning a conference championship, or better. Just ask LSU.

Quarterbacks have a high failure rate (in terms of developing them out of high school). This is why you should take one every year. Even then, plucking talented guys out of the portal is a very wise thing to do, especially when you are missing on your A list guys each year (as we are).

The transfer portal is also a great way to build depth, especially on the defensive line (you really need 6-8 starters) and on the offensive line.

I love our grad transfers. We offer a great value proposition for them with so many outstanding graduate study opportunities.

Reactions: Zootcat and hdhntr1

I hope that we stick with our recruited QBs if Marty takes a pass or when he graduates after next season. I was very pro Hilinski from the get go, but he really has a nasty tendency to underthrow guys on the short to medium yardage routes from what I see. I would love to see Richardson and the other recruited QBs get some garbage time in if the bowl eligibility is lost. Why would any decent future QB recruit want to come here just to be a bench warmer for a portal guy? Dance with the one of the QBs who picked you for the Sade Hawkins dance!!!

I hope that we stick with our recruited QBs if Marty takes a pass or when he graduates after next season. I was very pro Hilinski from the get go, but he really has a nasty tendency to underthrow guys on the short to medium yardage routes from what I see. I would love to see Richardson and the other recruited QBs get some garbage time in if the bowl eligibility is lost. Why would any decent future QB recruit want to come here just to be a bench warmer for a portal guy? Dance with the one of the QBs who picked you for the Sade Hawkins dance!!!
That's a poor way to run a program. Get good players, let them compete, and may the best man win the job. Richardson is already getting garbage time, unfortunately the coaches don't see it fit to let him throw or run some actual plays other than handing off.

Reactions: MotownMedilldo
Well, Oklahoma had a pretty good run with transfer QBs (including 2 Heismans).

dOSU made it to the PO with Fields (and beat Clemson) and LSU, the Natty with Burrow.

While it's preferable to recruit and develop QBs, as stated, there's often a high miss rate.

Like everyone, I’d prefer a Thorson every four years. But I’d take talent from wherever.

I'd prefer a Persa every 4 years, unlike Thorson, he can carry an O.

And as long as the O-line remains being an issue, need a QB who can extend passing plays with his legs.

Last edited:

It is when you do not have the players to develop. If you check, I think that each was a fill in for a class where me missed on the QB position

While that is most desirable, we missed at the posiiton in a few recruiting classes and the guys that transferred filled in those spots

dOSU made it to the PO with Fields (and beat Clemson) and LSU, the Natty with Burrow.

While it's preferable to recruit and develop QBs, as stated, there's often a high miss rate.

And as long as the O-line remains being an issue, need a QB who can extend passing plays with his legs.
And hasn't Oklahoma don well with transfers?

Well, Persa also couldn't stay healthy, whereas CT mostly did. I think they're both greats.

Sadly for Jack Miller at OSU, he got arrested for DUI / OVI.

Since he is sure to transfer, someone needs to tell him about our excellent public transport 😃 😃

That's a poor way to run a program. Get good players, let them compete, and may the best man win the job. Richardson is already getting garbage time, unfortunately the coaches don't see it fit to let him throw or run some actual plays other than handing off.
It isn't a poor way to run a program. Two out of the three transfer QBs haven't been very successful. Of course, that could change, but we should be able to recruit great QBs. Create a decent system and quality talent will come aboard.

Sadly for Jack Miller at OSU, he got arrested for DUI / OVI.

Since he is sure to transfer, someone needs to tell him about our excellent public transport 😃 😃

That’s not “sadly.” That’s “kid was a dumb ass.”

Reactions: NJCat
Well, Persa also couldn't stay healthy, whereas CT mostly did. I think they're both greats.

Persa had that Achilles injury, which he later aggravated.

Even when Dan had to play entirely in the pocket, he was a better passing QB than Thorson.

Reactions: corbi296
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT