ADVERTISEMENT

Question about Lausch’s passes to those who know more than I

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
I never played QB or received any more than rudimentary coaching about how to throw a football. What I do think I know comes from watching the game since the early 60’s.
It seems to me that there are 3 primary way a QB throws the ball, with come subcategories. The first is to basically sling it, that is, to throw it a with a trajectory, usually to a spot as a long pass or back shoulder throw. The second is to throw a rope, a tight spiral on close to a straight line, usually as a sideline pass or over the middle. The final is a soft toss, usually to the flat with the aim of making easy for the receiver to catch in stride. The footwork and release point are a little different for each (or so it seems to me as an untrained layman.)

Assuming my taxonomy Is correct, I think Lausch has been really good on the long, arcing slings, ok on the tosses, and awful and inconsistent on throwing ropes, which are the bread and butter of possession football.

My questions to those who know something are whether this breakdown seems accurate, and if so, seeing that he seems to have decent arm strength to deliver deep balls, can the mechanics to deliver at least adequate straight line passes be taught? If my breakdown is right and he it cannot be taught (I hope he can), his future is not bright.

My biggest concern with Lausch isn't the physical, though he does have some mechanics inconsistencies that lead to his wildly inaccurate throws at times. My biggest concern is whether he will grasp the mental side of playing quarterback. It is often this mental aspect that sets aside the good QBs from the bad. So far, he seems pretty incapable of reading defenses, of anticipating pressure and of knowing where all his options are on the field. Some of this you can see on tv and the announcers have pointed out his mental misses numerous times. I also hear posters on here commenting on his inability to get off his first option. Good QBs can sometimes recognize even before the ball is snapped that their first option isn't going to work as planned and already is mentally ticking through what the rest of his options will look like.

In fairness to Lausch, he doesn't have a ton of experience behind center and so maybe this isn't surprising. I just wish there was some evidence that he was improving in this area.

I read an interesting article on Jayden Daniels, the Washington whiz kid and Heisman Trophy winner. He spends a lot of time refining his throwing mechanics with an emphasis on accuracy. For the article he was working on accuracy going to his left. I mention this because I noticed how Lausch's first set of throws were just slightly off. Several throws were made off of scrambles. I just think the kid needs to keep working on his throwing skills particularly while scrambling.

My biggest concern with Lausch isn't the physical, though he does have some mechanics inconsistencies that lead to his wildly inaccurate throws at times. My biggest concern is whether he will grasp the mental side of playing quarterback. It is often this mental aspect that sets aside the good QBs from the bad. So far, he seems pretty incapable of reading defenses, of anticipating pressure and of knowing where all his options are on the field. Some of this you can see on tv and the announcers have pointed out his mental misses numerous times. I also hear posters on here commenting on his inability to get off his first option. Good QBs can sometimes recognize even before the ball is snapped that their first option isn't going to work as planned and already is mentally ticking through what the rest of his options will look like.

In fairness to Lausch, he doesn't have a ton of experience behind center and so maybe this isn't surprising. I just wish there was some evidence that he was improving in this area.
I agree I think this is the key to a good quarterback to be able to read the field process what's going on anticipate where the receiver will be. That takes a certain type of mind that I'm sure you can train to some extent but I think it's somewhat innate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT