ADVERTISEMENT

Question on PAT rules

CaliforniaCat

Sep 6, 2001
If the clock runs out when a team scores a touchdown they don't get to go for the extra point(s) if it wouldn't make any difference in the outcome of who wins the game. That was clear at the end of today's game.

But what happens if they score a touchdown while the clock runs out and there is only a one or two point difference in the score. I assume that they would get to run one more untimed play to either tie or win the game depending on the actual score difference. Just looking for confirmation of the actual rule. Things aren't always as logical as they should be.

You'd have to kick, though the team that scored would take a knee rather than risk block kick runback

You'd have to kick, though the team that scored would take a knee rather than risk block kick runback
That's not my question.

I'm asking whether the team scoring a touchdown when the clock runs out at the end of the game gets to go for an extra point, or two points, if that would tie the game or give them the win.

Clearly if one or two points would not change the outcome, then they don't get to try. But what if it would?

If the clock runs out when a team scores a touchdown they don't get to go for the extra point(s) if it wouldn't make any difference in the outcome of who wins the game. That was clear at the end of today's game.

But what happens if they score a touchdown while the clock runs out and there is only a one or two point difference in the score. I assume that they would get to run one more untimed play to either tie or win the game depending on the actual score difference. Just looking for confirmation of the actual rule. Things aren't always as logical as they should be.
Look up the Colorado-Missouri "5th down" game.

They will allow the attempt if it could impact the outcome.

Clearly they would get to try the PAT or go for two if it impacted the outcome of the game. But the more interesting scenario, IMO, is when there's an impact on the point spread. Let's say, for example, that NU was favored by 29 points in yesterday's game. The meaningless TD at the end of the game would result in a push, unless they were allowed to kick the PAT. That's a huge injustice to the gambling community. Let them kick!

Not sure if any rules have changed or sometimes they wing it, but IU was allowed to try (and succeed on a two-point play) their conversion in a ‘94 home game after completing a long TD pass on the last play of their game vs. PSU. The final score was PSU 35-29.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT