ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting 2018

Aging Booster

Apr 10, 2014
Given the class of 2017, what are your thoughts about our greatest needs for next year? The official NU site lists McGowan as a WR - which makes sense to me - so I think a RB is needed next year. I'd also like to see two guards and two tackles - four OL all told. We have one, so need three more. Any thoughts?

2018 is a good crop in state. Devin O'Rourke is a top notch DE. Jones, the WR, is an intriguing talent. I love Patterson as an athlete but he wants to remain at QB. There are some good OL prospects too.

We always need great players at the edge--OT, DE, CB.

2018 is a good crop in state. Devin O'Rourke is a top notch DE. Jones, the WR, is an intriguing talent. I love Patterson as an athlete but he wants to remain at QB. There are some good OL prospects too.

We always need great players at the edge--OT, DE, CB.

On defense, we have to score big with CBs and LBs. Very thin at those positions projecting a couple of years out.
On offense, we always need OTs. Other than that, RB and WR are huge for 2018 ... especially RB.

GOUNUII

On defense, we have to score big with CBs and LBs. Very thin at those positions projecting a couple of years out.
On offense, we always need OTs. Other than that, RB and WR are huge for 2018 ... especially RB.

GOUNUII

We do have Larkin, Brown and McGowan waiting in the wings

Was going to take a run at this in a "signing day wrap" post, but let's do this part here now that you've asked.

In terms of available scholarships, I'm guessing it's somewhere between 15 and 18 depending on "four-year players," injury retirements, etc. (Watkins, Vault, Alviti, Dickerson, Walsh, Wilson, Igwebuike, McShepard, Jackson, Queiro, Washington, Lancaster, North). I'll leave it to @corbi296 to do his "bottom-up" scholarship count rather than my "top-down" approach (in fairness, his approach is probably more accurate).

That's a relatively small class, but nothing out of the ordinary for NU. I would break it down as something like

QB: 1
RB: 1
WR: 2
SB: 1
OL: 4
DL: 3
LB: 2/3
DB: 3/4

The fluctuation between DB and LB is because we could very well see one or more of the young safeties end up at LB, but those decisions probably won't be made until coaches get "eyes on" in a practice setting.

We do have Larkin, Brown and McGowan waiting in the wings
Larkin and McGowan based on size do not seem like every down backs. That leaves Jesse Brown as the only underclassman RB after this year!

We currently have 8 RB listed on the roster. 4 will graduate. A 5th, Auston Anderson, it's unclear if he is still a RB. We will be in serious need of at least 1 stud RB next year and at least 1 backup guy.

Larkin and McGowan based on size do not seem like every down backs. That leaves Jesse Brown as the only underclassman RB after this year!

We currently have 8 RB listed on the roster. 4 will graduate. A 5th, Auston Anderson, it's unclear if he is still a RB. We will be in serious need of at least 1 stud RB next year and at least 1 backup guy.

This is just silly.

1. Again, McGowan isn't coming in as a RB. He's a slot WR.
  2. Moten should be very well prepared to take over as lead RB after 2017 with two years of eligibility remaining
  3. Brown and Larkin each have four years of eligibility left. Larkin is listed at 5-10 175, but has a very compact build and I would imagine ends up playing at 190-195. That's plenty big enough.
  4. Anderson is absolutely still a RB. He's just stuck behind a lot of quality RBs. Put that one in the "good problem" column.
  5. We already have reported offers out to five 2018 RBs with many more not currently showing in the Rivals database (Master Teague, Jahmir Smith, and others)

Larkin proved with what he did in HS that he can shoulder the load of an every down back. No doubt in my mind he shares the load with Moten after JJ leaves. McGowan will play WR. No doubt we need a top back in the class of 2018 and the kid from Indianapolis seems to like NU a lot at this point. From the few highlights I've watched so far I really like the RB from NJ that we have offered.

This is just silly.

2. Moten should be very well prepared to take over as lead RB after 2017 with two years of eligibility remaining
  3. Brown and Larkin each have four years of eligibility left. Larkin is listed at 5-10 175, but has a very compact build and I would imagine ends up playing at 190-195. That's plenty big enough.
  4. Anderson is absolutely still a RB. He's just stuck behind a lot of quality RBs. Put that one in the "good problem" column.
  5. We already have reported offers out to five 2018 RBs with many more not currently showing in the Rivals database (Master Teague, Jahmir Smith, and others)

I think a lot of folks compared Larkin's style to JJTBC. Of course, getting close to this is wishful thinking, but kid looks to have high end potential.

Larkin proved with what he did in HS that he can shoulder the load of an every down back. No doubt in my mind he shares the load with Moten after JJ leaves. McGowan will play WR. No doubt we need a top back in the class of 2018 and the kid from Indianapolis seems to like NU a lot at this point. From the few highlights I've watched so far I really like the RB from NJ that we have offered.

FYI ... In Larkin's senior year he was used a great deal in the slot and as a 2nd option RB. I am not as confident as GCG that he can play at 190-95. On the other hand, if anybody can defy convention it's Larkin. He is one tough SOB on the field. Not all that fast (much like JJ) but quite the pogo stick with a small guy toughness (much like VM) that is all football.

GOUNUII

FYI ... In Larkin's senior year he was used a great deal in the slot and as a 2nd option RB. I am not as confident as GCG that he can play at 190-95. On the other hand, if anybody can defy convention it's Larkin. He is one tough SOB on the field. Not all that fast (much like JJ) but quite the pogo stick with a small guy toughness (much like VM) that is all football.

GOUNUII

Might I ask your source for those comments? I see a kid who led his team in rushing (by a longshot in terms of yardage, 135 carries with next guy at 122 being the QB Watson; Jarrell White, who signed with Cincinnati and drew multiple P5 offers this year, was a distant third) in addition to leading in receptions (19 catches vs. 18, but 436 yards vs. 242).

This is just silly.

I'm not sure what is silly about what I said. Moten will be the only game-experienced RB after this year. Brown and Larkin have potential but are unknowns and are not the biggest guys (smaller than Long and Moten). Anderson remains an unknown in terms of how much he will contribute at RB.

Your last statement is exactly what I was saying - we need probably 2 good RBs in the 2018 class as a priority.

Given the class of 2017, what are your thoughts about our greatest needs for next year? The official NU site lists McGowan as a WR - which makes sense to me - so I think a RB is needed next year. I'd also like to see two guards and two tackles - four OL all told. We have one, so need three more. Any thoughts?

Kind of like QB, we need a potentially game changing RB every year. But, that group is pretty deep for the next few years. I'm not sold on our QB depth yet, simply because everyone is unproven behind Thorson (and no one nearly as heralded as him and Alviti) - one or more could end up being great, but I'd still like to see us bring in a stud there, in every year.

I think OL needs some serious upgrading talent wise. I'd say the DL as well, because our success is going to be bigly defined on the lines, but we did bring in an outstanding group this year. I'd also want to see more game changing talent in the WR ranks. CB and LB depth needs shoring up a couple years out I think as well.

I realized I just named almost every position. Let's go get them all now.

Reactions: NUCat320
Was going to take a run at this in a "signing day wrap" post, but let's do this part here now that you've asked.

In terms of available scholarships, I'm guessing it's somewhere between 15 and 18 depending on "four-year players," injury retirements, etc. (Watkins, Vault, Alviti, Dickerson, Walsh, Wilson, Igwebuike, McShepard, Jackson, Queiro, Washington, Lancaster, North). I'll leave it to @corbi296 to do his "bottom-up" scholarship count rather than my "top-down" approach (in fairness, his approach is probably more accurate).

That's a relatively small class, but nothing out of the ordinary for NU. I would break it down as something like

QB: 1
RB: 1
WR: 2
SB: 1
OL: 4
DL: 3
LB: 2/3
DB: 3/4

The fluctuation between DB and LB is because we could very well see one or more of the young safeties end up at LB, but those decisions probably won't be made until coaches get "eyes on" in a practice setting.

I think we are going to have 15-17 available. I hope we can find a few more because I think we have strong momentum (bowl win, NU practice facility, high expectations for 17 season) and because the Illinois 2017 class of seniors is pretty strong. If we can offer 18, I see it breaking down as follows:

1 QB
1 RB
3 WR
3 OL
1 TE
3 DL
3 LB
2 CB
1 Safety

We many need to cut back somewhere if we can find a good scholarship kicker to replace Niswander.

Last edited:
I think we are going to have 15-17 available. I hope we can find a few more because I think we have strong momentum (bowl win, NU practice facility, high expectations for 17 season) and because the Illinois 2017 class of seniors is pretty strong If we can offer 18 I see it breaking down as follows:

1 QB
1 RB
3 WR
3 OL
1 TE
3 DL
3 LB
2 CB
1 Safety

We many need to cut back somewhere if we can find a good scholarship kicker to replace Niswander.

Kuhbander.

Reactions: JoeWildcat
Might I ask your source for those comments? I see a kid who led his team in rushing (by a longshot in terms of yardage, 135 carries with next guy at 122 being the QB Watson; Jarrell White, who signed with Cincinnati and drew multiple P5 offers this year, was a distant third) in addition to leading in receptions (19 catches vs. 18, but 436 yards vs. 242).

My source is my eyes. Got to see the Lancers play several times when Larkin was a senior.

As for your stats, Larkin got less than 40% of his teams total carries for the season. And it was from the slot that he got his team leading receiving yards. Thus the comment that " he was used a great deal " in the slot and as a second option running the ball.

BTW, you omitted a 3rd RB on that 2016 LaSalle team that got another 35 carries during the regular season. They spread the carries around. And more than 60% of the time the first running option was not Larkin.

Stay humble.

GOUNUII

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
My source is my eyes. Got to see the Lancers play several times when Larkin was a senior.

As for your stats, Larkin got less than 40% of his teams total carries for the season. And it was from the slot that he got his team leading receiving yards. Thus the comment that " he was used a great deal " in the slot and as a second option running the ball.

BTW, you omitted a 3rd RB on that 2016 LaSalle team that got another 35 carries during the regular season. They spread the carries around. And more than 60% of the time the first running option was not Larkin.

Stay humble.

GOUNUII

I was literally just asking what your source was (and trying to be nice about it). Re-reading my post, can definitely see where it came across as snarky. My bad.

I don't think Jarrell was able to commit to any of those Powe 5 offers , thus UC.

I was literally just asking what your source was (and trying to be nice about it). Re-reading my post, can definitely see where it came across as snarky. My bad.

All is good GCG. I don't think anybody should doubt Larkin will compete hard and make people pay for underestimating him. That's a common quality among our players and at the core of why our passions for the team run deep.

GOUNUII

Bearing in mind that I don't know a damn thing about evaluating recruiting tapes, when I saw Larkins tape I really liked what I saw and it immediately made me think about Justin Jackson. Perhaps it was sort of the same upright running style and also the way he seem to hesitate a little here and there to set up his blockers just like Jackson does.

All is good GCG. I don't think anybody should doubt Larkin will compete hard and make people pay for underestimating him. That's a common quality among our players and at the core of why our passions for the team run deep.

GOUNUII
Larkin hasn't needed motivation , he haz always worked hard. He is like Jango, he has a burning desire to be great. He is deceptively fast , strong, and hard to put a hit on. Larkin will be a player

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT