ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Class Ranking

That's a great article. Harbaugh has caught 11 commits but how many will he keep and how many will he toss back.

Our classes seem to be far more consistent lately. Unlike the power house schools, I think if our name were Michigan or OSU some of the three stars we get every year would be 4 stars! Jordan Thompson would have been an easy 4 star if he had gone to Bama'.

Our classes seem to be far more consistent lately. Unlike the power house schools, I think if our name were Michigan or OSU some of the three stars we get every year would be 4 stars! Jordan Thompson would have been an easy 4 star if he had gone to Bama'.

One thing I am confident about is that in recent years we have had classes that were highly ranked early because of the large number of early and good recruits and poorly ranked later because of the small number of recruits.

One of the main reasons we are fourth is quantity. That is going to slip when we hit our limit of 19 or 20 because it won't compare well with other school's classes of 24 and 25. The only way we will still be in the top half of the B1G when signing day comes is if we land some 4 stars. I'm not saying that this class won't deserve to be highly ranked, it is just that the stars and numbers count when doing these rankings.

Reactions: IGNORE2
One of the main reasons we are fourth is quantity. That is going to slip when we hit our limit of 19 or 20 because it won't compare well with other school's classes of 24 and 25.

Agree. I'm super excited by this class so far, but if you look at average rank - as shown on 24/7 - you'll see that our average star rating - even with this great start - is below the average of other B1G teams with fewer verbal commits. I totally understand that stars and rating don't necessarily translate to on-field performance (although there is correlation), but come signing day we likely won't be ranked nearly as high. Still an incredible start to the recruiting season.

Definitely fun to follow, but it's still going to be 16 months before most of these recruits will begin their freshman year (most red-shirted). So much can happen - growth, development, injuries - before many of them will even begin to compete for playing time - nearly 2.5 years from now. That should give us a degree of perspective as our coaches attempt to read the recruiting tea leaves.

Go 'Cats!

Agree. I'm super excited by this class so far, but if you look at average rank - as shown on 24/7 - you'll see that our average star rating - even with this great start - is below the average of other B1G teams with fewer verbal commits. I totally understand that stars and rating don't necessarily translate to on-field performance (although there is correlation), but come signing day we likely won't be ranked nearly as high. Still an incredible start to the recruiting season.

Definitely fun to follow, but it's still going to be 16 months before most of these recruits will begin their freshman year (most red-shirted). So much can happen - growth, development, injuries - before many of them will even begin to compete for playing time - nearly 2.5 years from now. That should give us a degree of perspective as our coaches attempt to read the recruiting tea leaves.

Go 'Cats!
A few schools with high averages will come down when their classes start to fill out. Certainly Minny, Indiana and prolly Maryland, though the new coach seems to have made a splash.

Our average will decline too, but whatever. I still hold out hope that Andries and Hill might reconsider.

A few schools with high averages will come down when their classes start to fill out. Certainly Minny, Indiana and prolly Maryland, though the new coach seems to have made a splash.

Our average will decline too, but whatever. I still hold out hope that Andries and Hill might reconsider.

It is still a really good start and I think there are some advantages to having guys on board early. It lets the staff put effort into the next class and the early commits help recruit simply by taking some of the unknown out of things. These guys talk and there is a much better chance that you will click with one or two guys out of ten than one or two guys out of one or two.

The person who wrote that article is a total idiot.

ESPN has Wisconsin's class in the top 12 in the country so far and ahead of everyone in the BIG Western division.

We not only have a 4 star QB who had a million offers, we have 2, 4 star OL's who had great offers and two other OL's who are very close to 4 stars but wouldn't get them playing HS in Wisconsin, heck, one a 6'5 285 lber , hasn't even been rated because his Coach doesn't let film be released, no hudl.

The 6'7 255 lb DE is a stud, just watch his film, he's just a beginner having switched from hoops but still a high 3 star..

Add a WR from Texas, he was verballed to NAVY for Lacrosse , who Badgers identified and got the jump with and the 6'5 TE who is Barry Alvarez's grandson, who had Nebby & Iowa offers, along with ND interest (they knew he was going Wisconsin) and we are ecstatic with the class so far.

When you only have 12 guys graduating,, it's going to be a small class and as far as SPEED, the author should have known that Harrell the CB who verballed last go -around is a grey shirt and part of this class AND Chris James RB from PItt and Nick Nelson S from Hawaii are transferring next term to Wisconsin where both will still have two years to play after a RS year, so "speed" is not an issue,.
Yes, it would be nice to add a CB /safety and RB to this class but it's crazy early.

All that being said, I love what Northwestern is doing in Texas, it's a great strategy.

Last edited:
Wisconsin always gets hosed by the pulp recruiting services. Remember when their class was rated behind Kent State's class...and that class won 3 championships. Wisconsin HS football also gets a bad rap, with excellent players being underrated. Recruiting ratings are so bad at times they're downright hilarious.

ESPN has Wisconsin's class in the top 12 in the country so far and ahead of everyone in the BIG Western division.

We not only have a 4 star QB who had a million offers, we have 2, 4 star OL's who had great offers and two other OL's who are very close to 4 stars but wouldn't get them playing HS in Wisconsin, heck, one a 6'5 285 lber , hasn't even been rated because his Coach doesn't let film be released, no hudl.

The 6'7 255 lb DE is a stud, just watch his film, he's just a beginner having switched from hoops but still a high 3 star..

Add a WR from Texas, he was verballed to NAVY for Lacrosse , who Badgers identified and got the jump with and the 6'5 TE who is Barry Alvarez's grandson, who had Nebby & Iowa offers, along with ND interest (they knew he was going Wisconsin) and we are ecstatic with the class so far.

When you only have 12 guys graduating,, it's going to be a small class and as far as SPEED, the author should have known that Harrell the CB who verballed last go -around is a grey shirt and part of this class AND Chris James RB from PItt and Nick Nelson S from Hawaii are transferring next term to Wisconsin where both will still have two years to play after a RS year, so "speed" is not an issue,.
Yes, it would be nice to add a CB /safety and RB to this class but it's crazy early.

All that being said, I love what Northwestern is doing in Texas, it's a great strategy.
Transfers and grey shirts don't count in a ranking. Also, who cares how you are ranked. This happens all the time if you aren't a factory .

Not an idiot, just using quantity as a factor. ESPN is looking at UWs collection of recruits and judging on the quality of the players. We are getting a bump from getting a lot of solid early recruits. We will be making the same complaints after other schools have 25 recruits at the last minute and we have 18.

We have Eight, no issue with amount, author is an idiot.
Speed is a code word.
Have a nice weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT