ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting needs

Aging Booster

Apr 10, 2014
TOS is reporting that NU plans to take two QBs in the 2021 recruiting class. I think that is a good idea. The information prompts me to think about the other major needs for the class, given our 8 current commitments. I think we need two TEs, at least one RB, and at least 2, maybe 3, more WRs. Of course, we want recruits across the board, but these seem to me to be our greatest needs for this class as of now. Any thoughts?
I also wonder if we would take a 3rd DE - say if Bollers or Turner wanted to come.

Last edited:
TOS is reporting that NU plans to take two QBs in the 2021 recruiting class. I think that is a good idea. The information prompts me to think about the other major needs for the class, given our 8 current commitments. I think we need two TEs, at least one RB, and at least 2, maybe 3, more WRs. Of course, we want recruits across the board, but these seem to me to be our greatest needs for this class as of now. Any thoughts?

Nah! Just give me more hosses on the OL and DL. If we can dominate on the lines, the rest will take care of itself.

(P.S. I am only half kidding)

Fast guys.

I’d certainly echo these as top remaining priorities. 2 TEs, 2 more WRs for sure. Would love to see some more size/speed in the passing game pipeline. I think we can get away with just 1 RB, 1 QB, but doubling up on either would be nice. We’re off to a great start with big bodies and now have the luxury of being a bit selective on the lines now. I’d recommend we take 2 Safties as well. Depth looking real thin back there after this year, and plenty of strong offers went out recently.

A top RB. Is NU in the picture for anybody able to step into JJTBC's empty shoes?

Bowser signed his LOI years ago.

We have a notion Bowser is pretty GOOD, but that is all we have after he spent last season on the IR. He could become the next JJTBC, but that would mean he plays at a higher level and stays healthy this season. JJTBC was at that higher level from his first day. Shoes still empty.

Cam Porter is supposed to be pretty darn good, is he not? And DA3 showed some talent last season. Cupboard is not bare, just had too many pieces banged up in 2019, and no passing game to provide any balance... And OL woes. And...

That said, I'm sure the Cats will get themselves a RB in this class. Plenty of time to go.

Reactions: DaCat
When Bowser is healthy, JJTBC's shoes are largely filled. He's a dependable, physical RB who got better as the season progressed and carried us to a B1G West championship. Punishing back!

Agreed, but his style of running tends to lead to missing time; as in Sutton who would take on tacklers instead of trying to make them miss like JJtBC.

Reactions: Gladeskat
Yeah, JJtBC was a magician back there (imagine what his total rushing yardage would have been if he had a better line throughout his career), but the program has had ball carriers who weren't so eager to deal out as much punishment as they get like Bowser (who reminds me a lot of Steelers RB, Conner, who, not surprisingly, gets hurt).

But every good backfield should have backs w/ varying styles of running.

Reactions: drewjin
Yeah, JJtBC was a magician back there (imagine what his total rushing yardage would have been if he had a better line throughout his career), but the program has had ball carriers who weren't so eager to deal out as much punishment as they get like Bowser (who reminds me a lot of Steelers RB, Conner, who, not surprisingly, gets hurt).

Bowser sort of grew on me his freshman year. The more I watched him play, the more I appreciated his combination of skills. He's not really exceptional at anything except crushing safeties, but he has good vision and does so many things well. He was great against Iowa.

We had our next JJTBC lined up in Jeremy Larkin. Young man was a beast and right before he found out about his spinal issue, he looked very, very special. This coaching staff has proven it can find and develop winners are RB. I'm not worried about that position group room.

We had our next JJTBC lined up in Jeremy Larkin. Young man was a beast and right before he found out about his spinal issue, he looked very, very special. This coaching staff has proven it can find and develop winners are RB. I'm not worried about that position group room.

Watching him run the Wildcat versus Purdue was awesome. What a great memory.

Could Evan Hull end up surprising people?

When Bowser is healthy, JJTBC's shoes are largely filled. He's a dependable, physical RB who got better as the season progressed and carried us to a B1G West championship. Punishing back!

Bowser reminds me so much of Autry, but hasn’t had the QB, WR and OL that DA1 had of course. If IB stays healthy and gets some help he’s an upper tier big ten back which is saying a ton.

Reactions: phatcat
Bowser reminds me so much of Autry, but hasn’t had the QB, WR and OL that DA1 had of course. If IB stays healthy and gets some help he’s an upper tier big ten back which is saying a ton.

Feel Autry was much quicker hitting the hole than Bowser. Still feel DA1 was the best we’ve ever had, and ‘97 could have been a very different year with him returning. Glades said my similar feelings above, Bowser grew on me as well. I appreciate him more watching replays than I did during the year. Just not sold on Hull nor Anderson, the former because his only test was a horrible UMass D, and Anderson because he cannot hang onto the ball.

Isn’t Porter though our highest rated RB recruit since JJTBC, and maybe second highest on record?

I never understood the love here for Malin Jones. He was more of a fullback than a running halfback, IMO.

I never understood the love here for Malin Jones. He was more of a fullback than a running halfback, IMO.

Wasn't that love showered on him more as a recruit than once he actually got on the field?

He had lots of stars next to his name. You should’ve loved him.

Nope. The kid had the option to play at Notre Dame, Louisville and I think a couple of BT schools, and the staff convinced him to come to NU, despite our horrible facilities with no chance he’d see better in his career. He was one of our top targets, first offers, as well as that of the other schools mentioned, and the staff got his commitment in October of his junior year. They aimed high and got what they wanted. That is what I loved.

Nope. The kid had the option to play at Notre Dame, Louisville and I think a couple of BT schools, and the staff convinced him to come to NU, despite our horrible facilities with no chance he’d see better in his career. He was one of our top targets, first offers, as well as that of the other schools mentioned, and the staff got his commitment in October of his junior year. They aimed high and got what they wanted. That is what I loved.

Now you’re just making up your gripes. Get the **** outta here with that nonsense.

Were you impressed with his tape? Did you look at his tape? I wasn't. I was puzzled over all the buzz here about him and over him redshirting his freshman year and wasn't surprised that he didn't see much action. At Louisville, he played in only 7 games primarily on special teams and had 16 carries for 68 yards and 2 catches for 18 yards.

Were you impressed with his tape? Did you look at his tape? I wasn't. I was puzzled over all the buzz here about him and over him redshirting his freshman year and wasn't surprised that he didn't see much action. At Louisville, he played in only 7 games primarily on special teams and had 16 carries for 68 yards and 2 catches for 18 yards.

I remember thinking he looked bigger than advertised and made me think of Anthony Thomas. Didn’t he run very upright if I remember right? I wasn’t surprised at all when he took the field a couple of times at the superback position. Considering the injuries to Mark in ‘13, and Green and Trumpy getting the backup work while Jones only had what, a half dozen carries?, thought something was off way back then. Frankly, I was surprised he didn’t play as a true frosh. Mark was a huge surprise that season, and we’d been hurting at RB for a while. Thought for sure Jones would seize the job in 2012, or at least be the backup.

Was there more amiss than just performance?

Good recruits are the ones who turn into good college football players, not ones that look good on paper.

Jesus. Please, just stop responding. I’ll do the same. Put me in ignore and we’ll both be happier, or start your own site where you can police what people talk about and what they think. I tell you why I was happy with his recruiting, and apparently my feelings are wrong.

Start your site where you can set the code to immediately respond to each poster, contradicting what they say. You’ll cover more ground, free up so much time for yourself and achieve the same result.

Reactions: AtlantaCat
I remember thinking he looked bigger than advertised and made me think of Anthony Thomas. Didn’t he run very upright if I remember right? I wasn’t surprised at all when he took the field a couple of times at the superback position. Considering the injuries to Mark in ‘13, and Green and Trumpy getting the backup work while Jones only had what, a half dozen carries?, thought something was off way back then. Frankly, I was surprised he didn’t play as a true frosh. Mark was a huge surprise that season, and we’d been hurting at RB for a while. Thought for sure Jones would seize the job in 2012, or at least be the backup.

Was there more amiss than just performance?

No

ADVERTISEMENT