ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting question: please refresh my memory

NUCat320

Dec 4, 2005
Did NU lose any recruits to decommitment during the 2017 signing class? 2016? 2015?

I see that Khalid Jones had interest but no offer from his major in-state programs, Clemson and the other USC. NU is inarguably a stronger program than the other USC, and Clemson seems to have its pick of the nation (and also the Dabo slide), so perhaps it's not a threat. But, given NU's slight history in the state, he's probably more of a threat to decommit than most. (I don't think he will - but the strong offer list and lack of in-state offers lead me to think they could come late.)

I remember the twins (maybe just one?) and the kid who went to Oklahoma for a petroleum-related degree (but I think that was four or five years ago) and WR Grant (?) Perry (?) to Michigan (maybe he was 2015) where he got in some legal troubles, and a running back from Ohio or Wisconsin who had a seemingly bizarre post-commit story.

This program is the strongest it's been in 50 years. I don't see it happening. I need help to remember if it has.

Last edited:
Reactions: iskaboo
No one in 2017. We were all worried about Brown.

Deuce Wallace was an early class of 2016 commit / decommit.

Grant Perry flipped to UM late in the 2015 cycle. Zach Allen flipped to BC (he's a good player). The Dowell twins committed, then flipped to Kentucky, then ended up at MSU.

Jordan Thomas was the CB who flipped to OU in 2013 (class of 2014). Hamilton Anaoi was another late flip to Cal.

Also in there was Noah Westerfield, who was comitted, visited Cal, got decomiited by Fitz, went to Cal, played as a true frosh, and then fell off the depth chart.

Reactions: NUCat320
No one in 2017. We were all worried about Brown.

Deuce Wallace was an early class of 2016 commit / decommit.

Grant Perry flipped to UM late in the 2015 cycle. Zach Allen flipped to BC (he's a good player). The Dowell twins committed, then flipped to Kentucky, then ended up at MSU.

Jordan Thomas was the CB who flipped to OU in 2013 (class of 2014). Hamilton Anaoi was another late flip to Cal.

Also in there was Noah Westerfield, who was comitted, visited Cal, got decomiited by Fitz, went to Cal, played as a true frosh, and then fell off the depth chart.

I wonder how that frequency compares to other schools?
I don't think the decommits have hurt NU as much as they have stung us as fans.
Deuce was really early, Perry netted us Nagle (I'm happy with that trade off). Zack Allen may have been the biggest loss. The Dowell twins make me nervous with all their movement. Thomas and Anaoi stung us fans because two in one class feels like the sky is falling. Thomas has had a really good career at OK. Anaoi has been a solid contributor at Cal not the starter at MLB, he might have been helpful this year with Walker leaving early but it is doubtful he would have pushed Walker out prior to this year. The Westerfield decommit seemed a little contentious so I wondered if we were dodging a bullet there.

I wonder how that frequency compares to other schools?
I don't think the decommits have hurt NU as much as they have stung us as fans.
Deuce was really early, Perry netted us Nagle (I'm happy with that trade off). Zack Allen may have been the biggest loss. The Dowell twins make me nervous with all their movement. Thomas and Anaoi stung us fans because two in one class feels like the sky is falling. Thomas has had a really good career at OK. Anaoi has been a solid contributor at Cal not the starter at MLB, he might have been helpful this year with Walker leaving early but it is doubtful he would have pushed Walker out prior to this year. The Westerfield decommit seemed a little contentious so I wondered if we were dodging a bullet there.

Anaoi and Westerfield are Seniors and have never started for Cal. We got better than them on the field for us. No loss. Thomas is a high round NFL pick and would have started from his true freshman year. However, his off field issues certainly soften the blow. Was really disappointed at the time we lost him. Nagel has been an upgrade from Perry. However, I did like Perry quite a bit. Zachary Allen decommitted very late. He would likely start at NU this year. Silver lining is we have a ton of young DE talent.

Westerfield played quite a bit as a true frosh and had impact, but it sounds like he got complacent and fell into oblivion.

Thomas was moved to safety last year, I think. He's probably not the prospect he once was, but still a very good college player he would likely be a starting CB here.

Westerfield played quite a bit as a true frosh and had impact, but it sounds like he got complacent and fell into oblivion.

Thomas was moved to safety last year, I think. He's probably not the prospect he once was, but still a very good college player he would likely be a starting CB here.

Westerfield is a kid who has zero career sacks playing on some pretty crappy Cal defensive teams. I think I'll take XWash over him.

Reactions: catfans5
Try telling that to DRoski or whatever his handle is.

On second thought, don't poke the bear...

He was banned from this board quite a while ago. Don't expect to hear anything from him.he was also banned from the rivals California Board if I am not mistaken.

I kind of miss pulling droski's chain now and then. He is a more obnoxious version of combes but fun to mess with because Cal sucks so much.

Reactions: NUCat320
I kind of miss pulling droski's chain now and then. He is a more obnoxious version of combes but fun to mess with because Cal sucks so much.
Combes rarely compares to Droski. Usually, Combes actually has something to say albeit from an Illini perspective. Droski was just a troll.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Combes rarely compares to Droski. Usually, Combes actually has something to say albeit from an Illini perspective. Droski was just a troll.

Combes is a sneakier version of droski. Both have agendas of basically saying their schools are better than NU. With droski he stated his case in very clumsy, unsophisticated ways. Combes is equally unsophisticated but a bit less clumsy, at least he tries to mask his derogatory views with backhanded compliments and patronizing statements.

Combes is a sneakier version of droski. Both have agendas of basically saying their schools are better than NU. With droski he stated his case in very clumsy, unsophisticated ways. Combes is equally unsophisticated but a bit less clumsy, at least he tries to mask his derogatory views with backhanded compliments and patronizing statements.
Is Combes the Eddie Haskell of opposition posters?

Reactions: catfans5
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT