ADVERTISEMENT

Red zone = dead zone

Straus2018

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2015
The 'Cats have turned only seven of their 24 red zone opportunities into touchdowns this season, and those issues resurfaced again at Nebraska. Here's what the team had to say about these struggles, plus some additional notes from Thursday's media availability:

Link

What bothers me about us is the red zone is when we get inside the ten yard line with a first down (9 yards out or 8 yards out), which we have been a dozen times this year, we run the ball on first and second down. Why the hell do we do that? If we want to score, then spend all three plays throwing into the endzone. I don't even like running when we have first down inside the fifteen. You have a QB that throws a fastball and he should be able to get the ball to a spot before the defense can react, so he should be able to make the throw. Or he should be able to roll out. I understand we don't have a receiver that can catch the fade properly but we should be able to do a crossing pattern or put a man in motion and have him beat a guy to the corner. We don't have the horses to run the ball in the middle against a goal line defense and the only time the run has worked is when we have been within the five on first down (and it has only worked half the time). Make sure you are going to get a TD on every play. A FG from the 9 is the same as one from the 3 where we seem to get stuck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT