ADVERTISEMENT

Reported NU hoops offers (6/10) (we got us a verbal):

Max_Power

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Ok, Collins offers 2 centers and lands a commit from NU grad Wendy Mitchell's son (his dad played at Illinois, was an NBA lottery pick by the Hornets, and now works in studio for the Bulls but we all know he learned everything from his NU grad mom). Here's the list of self-reported offers from X, verbal commits has not caught up with the center offers:

We got us a commit:

Phoenix Gill - Chicago (6'3) (I'm giving him the extra inch now)

Most recent offers:

Tommy Ahneman - C - West Fargo, North Dakota (6'11)
Cade Bennerman - C - Nashville, TN (6'11)
Simon Walker - SG - Alabama (6'5)
Josiah Sanders - PG - Aurora, CO (6'4)
Jayden Forsythe - SG - NY (6'4) - 5/19
Mason Blackwood - SG/SF - NY (6'5 to 6'7) - 5/19
Brady Koehler - SF - Indiana (6'8) - 5/5

Older offers out there:

Keyshaun Tillery - CG - NY (6'1)
Angelino Mark - LA (6'2)

Guys with offers who we will likely will never see on campus:

Xavion Staton (7)
Trent Sisley (6'8)

Last edited:
Not intended to be a comprehensive list but in light of the two offers yesterday, here's a list of self-reported offers from X and listed on the Verbal Commits website:

Most recent:

Jayden Forsythe - SG - NY (6'4) - 5/19
Mason Blackwood - SG/SF - NY (6'5 to 6'7) - 5/19
Brady Koehler - SF - Indiana (6'8) - 5/5

Older offers out there:

Keyshaun Tillery - CG - NY (6'1)
Angelino Mark - LA (6'2)
Phoenix Gill - Chicago (6'2)

Guys with offers who we will likely will never see on campus:

Xavion Staton (7)
Trent Sisley (6'8)

Hey Max, thanks for the list.

Time for a question that I should know the answer to, but don't.
Is it essentially "if you offer 5 guys and you have one spot, if somebody accepts your offer, thats binding on the school?"

Hey Max, thanks for the list.

Time for a question that I should know the answer to, but don't.
Is it essentially "if you offer 5 guys and you have one spot, if somebody accepts your offer, thats binding on the school?"
No. Its non-binding on both sides until signing day.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
I why e we outdid we never see the last two on campus? We will need big men next year after Nicholson gone and after we go to March madness again, people roll be interested.

I why e we outdid we never see the last two on campus? We will need big men next year after Nicholson gone and after we go to March madness again, people roll be interested.
I wonder if Collins' will opt to use the portal as a way of bringing in veteran 5s. Rationale: They'll be physically and emotionally mature, and amenable to "supporting roles."

Phoenix is Kendall’s son and does carry an Illinois offer. Dennys lists both NU and Illinois as ‘cool’ interest level. (His four other offers also listed as “cool”, whatever that means.)

Phoenix is Kendall’s son and does carry an Illinois offer. Dennys lists both NU and Illinois as ‘cool’ interest level. (His four other offers also listed as “cool”, whatever that means.)

Phoenix is playing AAU to boost his profile this summer.

With big guys, there will always be first year and injury redshirts. And it feels like a higher percentage of kids graduate in 4 years or fewer these days.

Reactions: AdamOnFirst
That's going to get a lot tougher when the 2020-2021 exemption loses relevancy. Way fewer eligible grad transfers.

Exactly.

Before Covid, there usually was a decent number of grad school big men, because big guys were often redshirted. They couldn't transfer out easily, so coaches could just stash them on the roster while they bulked up and improved.

With the extra Covid year, about 100% of the big guys who could get into Northwestern academically were able to graduate in 4 years, resulting in an enormous pool of players - the golden era of grad transfers.

With Covid going away AND the new transfer rule AND the NIL situation, coaches will be (or should be) reluctant to redshirt their players. Players will use their 4 years and graduate (or not). NU will have very few grad students to consider - it will be limited to the guys who graduate in 3 years and the occasional redshirt.

Reactions: PURPLECAT88
With big guys, there will always be first year and injury redshirts. And it feels like a higher percentage of kids graduate in 4 years or fewer these days.
This. There is always going to be a pool of the type of guy Collins has been targeting. He hasn’t been looking to bring in more than key depth at big in the portal.

This. There is always going to be a pool of the type of guy Collins has been targeting. He hasn’t been looking to bring in more than key depth at big in the portal.
Seems like Collins' recent grad transfers were only available due to the Covid year.

The grad transfer pool will probably shrink by 85% or more... unless the NCAA is forced to allow 5+ years of eligibility.

At this point anything is possible. But with the current rules, Collins can't count on getting grad transfers who can help after this offseason. And coaches won't redshirt guys because they'll just learn, develop and leave.

Injury redshirts? Thats a good point. There will be some of those.
Maybe a few Ivy League guys.
Otherwise not many in the pool.

Reactions: NUCat320
Seems like Collins' recent grad transfers were only available due to the Covid year.

The grad transfer pool will probably shrink by 85% or more... unless the NCAA is forced to allow 5+ years of eligibility.

At this point anything is possible. But with the current rules, Collins can't count on getting grad transfers who can help after this offseason. And coaches won't redshirt guys because they'll just learn, develop and leave.

Injury redshirts? Thats a good point. There will be some of those.
Maybe a few Ivy League guys.
Otherwise not many in the pool.
The administration needs to put us on a level playing field when it comes to transfers as with our conference opponents.

Well, we have gotten undergrad transfers lately in Audige and Mullins, but they came in as Sophomores. Are juniors and seniors out of bounds?

Well, we have gotten undergrad transfers lately in Audige and Mullins, but they came in as Sophomores. Are juniors and seniors out of bounds?
Technically they are not. However since NU has a requirement that over half you credits have to be from NU courses it discourages any transfer of a player that has over 50% towards graduation.

Technically they are not. However since NU has a requirement that over half you credits have to be from NU courses it discourages any transfer of a player that has over 50% towards graduation.
I'm thinking it's not only NU that has this requirement. States have laws and accrediting agencies have rules regarding the granting of degrees. They include things like how many credits are required, how many contact hours are required per credit, and what minimum percentage of credits must be earned at the degree granting school. Other schools therefore are limited just as NU is.

I'm thinking it's not only NU that has this requirement. States have laws and accrediting agencies have rules regarding the granting of degrees. They include things like how many credits are required, how many contact hours are required per credit, and what minimum percentage of credits must be earned at the degree granting school. Other schools therefore are limited just as NU is.
This could be true. I am not sure. Where do these athletes that change schools 3 or 4 times receive their degree from? They likely don’t have 50% credits from any one institution after 5 years of school but likely have more than the required credits to graduate from any of them.

In speaking with Idaho State’s athletic director recently, she said the NCAA has been very liberal in giving waivers to the “progress toward a degree” rules in recent years. But in an attempt to curb the multi-transfers, they are signaling a crackdown. Of course, everything the NCAA tries to do to limit transfers gets overturned in court, so we’ll see.

This could be true. I am not sure. Where do these athletes that change schools 3 or 4 times receive their degree from? They likely don’t have 50% credits from any one institution after 5 years of school but likely have more than the required credits to graduate from any of them.
Not to be an old curmudgeon, but they “play school” until their eligibility is up and then they try to keep playing ball professionally anywhere that will take them. It’s actually a shame that so few will graduate, a trend that will only get worse.

It’s good that they can at least get legally compensated now.

Not to be an old curmudgeon, but they “play school” until their eligibility is up and then they try to keep playing ball professionally anywhere that will take them. It’s actually a shame that so few will graduate, a trend that will only get worse.

It’s good that they can at least get legally compensated now.
According to the latest NCAA report, Division 1 men’s basketball players are graduating at an 86 percent rate. It will be interesting to see if transfer trends lower those rates in coming surveys, but 86 percent is pretty darn good. Certainly better than the student body as a whole at many schools.

According to the latest NCAA report, Division 1 men’s basketball players are graduating at an 86 percent rate. It will be interesting to see if transfer trends lower those rates in coming surveys, but 86 percent is pretty darn good. Certainly better than the student body as a whole at many schools.
That number certainly surprises me. My understanding is that some programs have gone years with virtually zero graduations.

I think that guess is laughably off.
Okay 90%?

Apparently you aren't recognizing how adding a 5th year of eligibility (for Covid) enabled so many players to graduate in 4 years and still have a year to play as a grad transfer. Probably 500-1000 guys a year in D1.

When you take away the 5th year of eligibility, what happens? The pool of grad transfers shrinks dramatically.

Okay 90%?

Apparently you aren't recognizing how adding a 5th year of eligibility (for Covid) enabled so many players to graduate in 4 years and still have a year to play as a grad transfer. Probably 500-1000 guys a year in D1.

When you take away the 5th year of eligibility, what happens? The pool of grad transfers shrinks dramatically.
I guess it depends on how many players are red-shirted or injured, but the pool will shrink. My guess is coaches will not be red-shirting as many freshman since there is no guarantee they will be around that fifth year. It also means that Collins needs to rely on recruiting out of high school, just like before the portal

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
I guess it depends on how many players are red-shirted or injured, but the pool will shrink. My guess is coaches will not be red-shirting as many freshman since there is no guarantee they will be around that fifth year. It also means that Collins needs to rely on recruiting out of high school, just like before the portal

NU's rules about transfers definitely impair Collins somewhat (along with every other Northwestern athletic program).

To me the real goldmine for NU is the "underrecruited" high school junior who commits to a lesser program in the fall, then explodes (often physically) as a senior in the spring. This happens often enough (Martinelli and Mullins) that we can focus on these types of players in the transfer portal after they've played and shown promise as college freshmen. Collins has done well with this angle - and it isn't going away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT