ADVERTISEMENT

Rewatch

gocatsgo2003

Gold Member
Mar 30, 2006
Finally got a chance to do a decent Purdue rewatch tonight (this whole parenting thing really crowds out the ability to fanatic-level follow NU football). Actually much more encouraged than at initial viewing.

1) I’m confident this offense will work when Thorson is the primary/only QB. The line held up pretty well, the WR should be able to get just enough separation for 18’s arm, Cam Green flashed, and Larkin has more than a little juice. Need to find a little more rhythm, which is almost impossible with a QB rotation. Aim for Michigan, Clayton.

2) Newsome and Kent have a chance to be special. Nate Hall is already special and doesn’t get nearly enough credit; he’s going to make money playing the game.

3) Purdue can trump up 313 total yards all they want, but Moore didn’t have much impact on the game after Hank started rotating Hartage to him in the slot on passing/nickel downs starting mid-second quarter.

In fact, his three of his last four touches actually went for negative yardage and he had negative total yards after about midway through the third quarter.

He’s a dynamic athlete, but they’re going to have to scheme more ways to get him in space if they want to enjoy an outsized impact on the game.

4) Purdue’s game plan really compressed with Blough. Will be fascinating to see whether Brohm rolls the dice with Sindelar (turnover prone) or goes safe with Blough (more dynamic with his legs and better accuracy, but doesn’t have the arm to stretch a defense vertically).

5) Knox’s big gain on a quick hitter was an excellent halftime adjustment from Brohm (pulled backside guard to block the 3-tech and playside guard pinned the Mike, essentially running into an empty box). In true Hank form, it didn’t work again.

6) Purdue is actually lucky Blough fumbled on their TD drive to start the third quarter. He’s stoned a good two yards short on third down (Hall takes out his legs and Fisher cleans him up), but fumbles the ball forward to convert the first down.

7) Enough about Brady Brohm already, damn it.

8) Would like to see McGowan worked into the game plan more. Kid has some pop.

9) Really hope Alex Miller is ok. Looked like a potentially bad ankle/knee after being rolled up.

10) Opposing B1G defenses with much better personnel are going to try to bully our wideouts and put 7 or 8 in the box to stop Larkin. Have to figure out a way to scheme guys open, because I’m not sure we have “that guy” who can simply run himself open.

11) We showed a lot more cover-1/man-high defense than I’ve ever seen under Hank. Wonder whether that’s a sign of things to come or scheme-specific.

12) Thorson had a MASSIVE pull read on second down with about 2:50 left in the fourth (right before the Neal personal foul) where he could have walked in with at least a first down, but guessing the give was predetermined. If he’s healthy, that’s game right there.

13) That Neal personal foul needs to be called every time, by the way. Whistles were blowing about 1.5 seconds before the toss, plus Neal came from the back side and tried playing tough guy. It’s blatant and right in front of the ref. Not gonna fly.

14) Take the road conference W every time. Every time.

Excellent comments as always! In #11, what does cover-1 man-high mean? Is that same as press coverage? I did notice our DB coverage appeared to a lot tighter than usual from the LOS, if that is what you mean-- a refreshing change!

Finally got a chance to do a decent Purdue rewatch tonight (this whole parenting thing really crowds out the ability to fanatic-level follow NU football). Actually much more encouraged than at initial viewing.

1) I’m confident this offense will work when Thorson is the primary/only QB. The line held up pretty well, the WR should be able to get just enough separation for 18’s arm, Cam Green flashed, and Larkin has more than a little juice. Need to find a little more rhythm, which is almost impossible with a QB rotation. Aim for Michigan, Clayton.

2) Newsome and Kent have a chance to be special. Nate Hall is already special and doesn’t get nearly enough credit; he’s going to make money playing the game.

3) Purdue can trump up 313 total yards all they want, but Moore didn’t have much impact on the game after Hank started rotating Hartage to him in the slot on passing/nickel downs starting mid-second quarter.

In fact, his three of his last four touches actually went for negative yardage and he had negative total yards after about midway through the third quarter.

He’s a dynamic athlete, but they’re going to have to scheme more ways to get him in space if they want to enjoy an outsized impact on the game.

4) Purdue’s game plan really compressed with Blough. Will be fascinating to see whether Brohm rolls the dice with Sindelar (turnover prone) or goes safe with Blough (more dynamic with his legs and better accuracy, but doesn’t have the arm to stretch a defense vertically).

5) Knox’s big gain on a quick hitter was an excellent halftime adjustment from Brohm (pulled backside guard to block the 3-tech and playside guard pinned the Mike, essentially running into an empty box). In true Hank form, it didn’t work again.

6) Purdue is actually lucky Blough fumbled on their TD drive to start the third quarter. He’s stoned a good two yards short on third down (Hall takes out his legs and Fisher cleans him up), but fumbles the ball forward to convert the first down.

9) Really hope Alex Miller is ok. Looked like a potentially bad ankle/knee after being rolled up.

10) Opposing B1G defenses with much better personnel are going to try to bully our wideouts and put 7 or 8 in the box to stop Larkin. Have to figure out a way to scheme guys open, because I’m not sure we have “that guy” who can simply run himself open.

11) We showed a lot more cover-1/man-high defense than I’ve ever seen under Hank. Wonder whether that’s a sign of things to come or scheme-specific.

12) Thorson had a MASSIVE pull read on second down with about 2:50 left in the fourth (right before the Neal personal foul) where he could have walked in with at least a first down, but guessing the give was predetermined. If he’s healthy, that’s game right there.

13) That Neal personal foul needs to be called every time, by the way. Whistles were blowing about 1.5 seconds before the toss, plus Neal came from the back side and tried playing tough guy. It’s blatant and right in front of the ref. Not gonna fly.

Excellent comments, I agree. I like the new frosh corner also! Defense looked great. Still think we need Clayton to run more,or Duke and Michigan will stack the box! CT may light up folks this year

They will stack the box less if Thorson runs more?

They will stack the box less if Thorson runs more?

Well, that ain't happening anytime soon. He looked a lot slower and more tentative than usual on his runs, and there was one time where the seas parted and he had nothing but green grass in front of him and still threw the ball. He is clearly under orders to not run if at all possible, and is he does to keep his head on a swivel. Our OL did an excellent job, but it was not coincidence that there were zero Purdue sacks or even hurries, imo. We were to scheme so that CT did not get hit, period

Reactions: ricko654321
It is somewhat disheartening to hear that NU again doesn’t have a WR that can get himself open. Combined with the fact that the play calls likely aim to avoid Thorson holding the ball too long, it really handicaps what the offense can do.

Reactions: drewjin and IGNORE2
It is somewhat disheartening to hear that NU again doesn’t have a WR that can get himself open. Combined with the fact that the play calls likely aim to avoid Thorson holding the ball too long, it really handicaps what the offense can do.
They gotta get Brown and Vault healed up, even if Vault is only our version of Al (Abort) Goodwin

Interesting point on #5. Didn’t notice but love that Hank didn’t let it happen again.

I did notice #11 as well.... I liked it. I like our base cover 4 scheme but I’m glad that we seem to be more flexible.... maybe Hank thinks Montre is that good that we need to optimize his usage.

I am very worried about #10... maybe Cam Green can be an alternative to find holes against this approach, or Skowronek’s big body... but it’s been a frequent problem in recent years, with the exception of one Austin Carr season. I know for a fact that if I were playing NU, I would run press cover 1 man against us and just stack the box against Larkin...

But most importantly, #14. Go Cats!

Thanks for posting the comments! Good to read.

Excellent comments as always! In #11, what does cover-1 man-high mean? Is that same as press coverage? I did notice our DB coverage appeared to a lot tighter than usual from the LOS, if that is what you mean-- a refreshing change!
Press man coverage with one safety “high” behind it. And everyone else up in the box.

Reactions: mikewebb68

And re #3, sure Moore is very talented but whatever, let them talk, we know there is only one stat that matters: 1-0.

Also totally agree #13.

Basically. Press across with a single safety playing very deep.

Reactions: mikewebb68

I'm curious about #10 what you mean about bullying our wideouts. I ask this because I got the impression that they were in Skowronek's head with a lot of contact and he had a hard time focusing on the ball.

I think people are over reacting to the lack of separation because of what we saw the last two years. I would give it another couple games before we declare we can’t get enough separation. From high up, I saw some wide open WR’s in the first half and CT flat out took the safe pass (for a nice gain I might add). The second half there wasn’t much there besides the miss on the Larkin wheel route. I would also consider that we weren’t exactly airing it out with TJ in the game. IMO, second half play calls were conservative.

I think people are over reacting to the lack of separation because of what we saw the last two years. I would give it another couple games before we declare we can’t get enough separation. From high up, I saw some wide open WR’s in the first half and CT flat out took the safe pass (for a nice gain I might add). The second half there wasn’t much there besides the miss on the Larkin wheel route. I would also consider that we weren’t exactly airing it out with TJ in the game. IMO, second half play calls were conservative.

No way, people are overreacting online?? ;)

You’re right, it may be early to call our WRs merely decent. But I really would have hoped that some of Austin Carr’s secret sauce would have spread to Nagel or Lees or someone else by now. As others have said, maybe getting Brown or Vault back will open things up.

I felt like the pass protection was better than it has been in a long time. CT may have to learn that he can wait an extra heartbeat for the deeper routes to open up. Separation takes speed but also time.

I am pretty optimistic after this game. It was way better than the slow starts the last few years. OK, we didn’t look like B1G title material but neither did anyone else except OSU, so the race is on, and we’re 1-0 in conference.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
I'm curious about #10 what you mean about bullying our wideouts. I ask this because I got the impression that they were in Skowronek's head with a lot of contact and he had a hard time focusing on the ball.

Basically that. Lots of press coverage, very physical play, etc.

It seemed Trevor Kent got in a decent amount of reps. Did Jake Saunders play?

I asked this during the game but don't believe I got an answer. I was under the impression that the offensive team could not advance the ball as a result of a fumble. Blough was clearly stopped short on that play. When he recovered the ball, why was the ball not placed at the spot of of the fumble?

The check-down’s were also because Thorson was correctly diagnosing and throwing off of pressure. Also had a large part to play in allowing zero sacks.

I asked this during the game but don't believe I got an answer. I was under the impression that the offensive team could not advance the ball as a result of a fumble. Blough was clearly stopped short on that play. When he recovered the ball, why was the ball not placed at the spot of of the fumble?

I’m pretty sure you can advance a fumble unless it goes out of bounds or if it's 4th down or a PAT. On a 4th down or PAT, only the same player can advance the ball that fumbled.

I saw Saunders in uniform, but he did not play. We rotated 5 additional DL behind the starters (Goens, Brown, Oxley, Kent and Wyatt).

Too bad about Saunders, hope he can contribute this season. Hope Alex Miller is ok too. It's a long season.

Too bad about Saunders, hope he can contribute this season. Hope Alex Miller is ok too. It's a long season.

It’s a long season. I took it as a positive that he was healthy, in uniform and on the travel roster. The guy hasn’t played in quite a while...I’m sure they’ll ease him back in. He also has three more years of eligibility remaining.

Did Carnifax get in?

Numbers were all jacked up, but I don’t think so. Both Carnifax and Goens are showing as 94 on the NUSports roster with Oxley wearing 83, but pretty sure Oxley was in 94 and Goens in 83 against Purdue; pretty sure only Oxley and Goens played against Purdue.

I felt like the pass protection was better than it has been in a long time. CT may have to learn that he can wait an extra heartbeat for the deeper routes to open up. Separation takes speed but also time.

It was weird though, there were a number of times that Purdue's cover men simply lost our receivers and they got open right away, but I guess they must have been the late men in CT progression since he opted for a received that was more closely covered. Same thing with the coverage bust on Bowman, CT eventually found him, but it was awfully late and he almost missed him. Probably just attributable to rust I guess.

Same thing with the coverage bust on Bowman, CT eventually found him, but it was awfully late and he almost missed him. Probably just attributable to rust I guess.
The RCB completion was a thing of beauty, a laser throw and a perfect catch.

Numbers were all jacked up, but I don’t think so. Both Carnifax and Goens are showing as 94 on the NUSports roster with Oxley wearing 83, but pretty sure Oxley was in 94 and Goens in 83 against Purdue; pretty sure only Oxley and Goens played against Purdue.

Thought I saw him (or heard his name called don’t remember which) in a short yardage package

This is exactly right...numbers were changed. Goens was 83 and the Oxley/Kent combo was 94/96.

I don’t believe Carnifax played. I also don’t believe he would be on offense (assuming he is even healthy).

It could have Mangieri in on short yardage as an additional SB...he shows on the participation report as #89.

Last edited:

they did the same thing last year to stop JJ but our OL and wr won the battles...cuz of CT not needing much separation to put the ball there.
Toss in one more year of experience and your concerns, although valid, may be overstated.

Last edited:
I am pretty optimistic after this game. It was way better than the slow starts the last few years. OK, we didn’t look like B1G title material but neither did anyone else except OSU, so the race is on, and we’re 1-0 in conference.

Wisky looked pretty darn good after shaking the rust off in the 1st quarter.

Wisky looked pretty darn good after shaking the rust off in the 1st quarter.
wow, they really did. But our current depth in our front 7 will be a possible equalizer and with CT and Ryan field as game changes, i like our chances. But our 7 deep gotta stay healthy.

It was weird though, there were a number of times that Purdue's cover men simply lost our receivers and they got open right away, but I guess they must have been the late men in CT progression since he opted for a received that was more closely covered. Same thing with the coverage bust on Bowman, CT eventually found him, but it was awfully late and he almost missed him. Probably just attributable to rust I guess.
Don't you think that after 4 years they have figured out his progression check off list? They know to cover the first three or so the hardest with their best people and that after a certain count he is scrambling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT