ADVERTISEMENT

RIP George Welsh

docrugby1

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2010
George Welsh, longtime coach of the USNA and Virginia ,passed away Wednesday. Coach Welsh finished 3rd in the Heisman voting his senior year and then completed his service obligation

He later returned to his alma mater and restored Navy to prominence, declining offers to move on until lowly Virginia came calling

UVA had only 2 winning seasons in the 30 years before Coach Welsh unexplainedly took over. He stayed 19 years and restored UVA to respectability

As a long suffering NU grad because of the dark ages and a resident of Virginia, I felt cursed with regards to college football.

It was remarkable that GB and Coach Welsh were able to resurrect two woeful programs. GB moved on but Coach Welsh rejected many offers to leave UVA. It is ironic that NU still suffers from the stigma of the dark ages but UVA's struggles have long been forgotten

Reactions: rmndcat
I remember going to Scott Stadium back in 1969 with a couple of Notre Dame alums. I think the game was against Dook. UVa was truly pathetic. Neither starting tackle weighed 200#. My ND pals conceded Northwestern would absolutely destroy UVa, damning us with faint praise. Of course a good HS team probably could have. George Welsh changed that. Bronco Mendenhall is now continuing the improvement.

I wish UVA would give us back Nick Jackson. He was supposed to be our commit. :cool:

Excellent coach. Straight shooter. I had the pleasure of meeting him at a Navy recruiting dinner 45 years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT