ADVERTISEMENT

Rivals names NU as one of five surprise recruiting teams

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
Rivals' national recruiting expert Mike Farrell names NU one of his five surprise recruiting teams in his Three-Point Stance column. Here's what he had to say about his Top 5...

It’s mid-June in recruiting, so who cares about recruiting rankings, right?

I do because it’s my job, and it’s always interesting to see which teams are surprising at what many think is the midpoint of the cycle. Here are five teams I didn’t expect to see so high in our team rankings at this stage…

Oklahoma State – While much of the attention in the Big 12 has been paid to Texas and Oklahoma with new coaches, Oklahoma State is putting together a very nice class led by wide receiver C.J. Moore and potential future stars Spencer Sanders and Jonathan Shepherd. Each brings serious offensive talent to the program.

Baylor – The best job in recruiting last year was done by Matt Rhule at Baylor, hands down, and he continues to kill it despite all the awfulness surrounding the program. Running backs Stanley Hackett and Joshua Fleeks are a great one-two combo, and defensive end Joshua Landry has excellent upside.

Kansas – I’ve mentioned Kansas many times before, and they continue to surprise. Not only do they have headliners Devonta Jason and Corione Harris, but players like Tevailance Hunt and Miles Emery, among others, have serious talent.

Minnesota P.J Fleck hasn’t landed his first four-star yet, but the class is loaded with talented three- stars including defensive tackle Elijah Teague and defensive backs Tyrik Henerson and home grown Benjamin Sapp.

Northwestern – Defensive end Devin O’Rourke is the headliner, but keep an eye out for quarterback Jason Whittaker and rangy safety Greg Newsome as well.

Link: Three-point stance

Rivals' national recruiting expert Mike Farrell names NU one of his five surprise recruiting teams in his Three-Point Stance column. Here's what he had to say about his Top 5...

Northwestern – Defensive end Devin O’Rourke is the headliner, but keep an eye out for quarterback Jason Whittaker and rangy safety Greg Newsome as well.

Most of the four and five star players, the ones who can elevate a recruiting class's rankings, don't perform their hat dances until closer to signing day right?

Most of the four and five star players, the ones who can elevate a recruiting class's rankings, don't perform their hat dances until closer to signing day right?

That's not so true anymore as the recruiting cycle accelerates every year. I'll bet over half of the Rivals250, which is comprised entirely of four- and five-stars, are already committed. (I'll let you do the counting.) The majority of five-stars are still uncommitted, though -- 14 of 23. But it's still only June. We have six months until the early signing period.

Rivals250

I like the way Fitz and Northwestern recruit players to fit their system and the way they recruit character guys first before overall talent. I know "speed kills" and "size matters" but I enjoy seeing our beloved school in the news for the RIGHT reasons. Too many times we see recruiting "talent" before "tools" can blow up in your face. Look at Baylor...

Think about a construction worker- he can have shiny, fancy, expensive rotary tools and machines, but if he doesn't have the RIGHT tools for the job that needs to be done, the job won't get done right.

Plus, I think that the success we have been having has helped bring in some more of the great combo guys (character with talent) that had typically been only going to Stanford or Notre Dame or other power 5 schools.

I like the humbleness and humility that still resides within this program and I think that means a lot to some of the RIGHT players (not necessarily the "best"). I feel like this program is more of a true (sorry, cliche) FAMILY and the one BIG constant with championship teams that don't cheat (USC, Florida State, etc.) is chemistry. You get that from a group of "2-3 star" WARRIORS over some "4-5 star" WINNERS- the difference being winners are not always that. Give me a Warrior any day. You must be a Warrior before you can truly become a winner by conventional (not commercial) standards; NOT the other way around.

Keep fighting the good fight, Coach Fitz- FIGHT FOR VICTORY!!

Class size is a big factor in team recruiting rankings. We usually have a small class due to limited attrition and many 5 year players.

Individual rankings can be influenced by the teams recruiting them or which team signs them. Sorry, Lou.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT