ADVERTISEMENT

Rivals Xenophobia

Hkjb

Apr 23, 2016
Hi Cappy - the site is blocked (again) to users in Hong Kong. Only accessing now because I am using my US mobile tether. This happens once every 6 months.
Even though I am overseas I'm not a hacker - I promise. Can you please explain to them that there are other places in the world? Thanks.

• Haha
Reactions: CatManTrue
When I was in The Peoples’ Republic last month I could not get this site using WiFi but when I used data Rivals Wildcat Report became accessible.

It's not on this end. Its Rivals not knowing how to do their security settings. I'm outside the great firewall. Will you please tell them to fix it? I know its not your doing but it is incompetent and all I want to do is follow the 'cats.
President Xi got jealous seeing my censorious reign of terror on this board, so he blocked Rivals 🤷. I think Lou might still be in Asia though, maybe he can pop over to China and have a heart-to-heart with him.

Should add that was also true for Fox News, but surprise, MSNBC was welcomed by the Comrades over there in China.
True in the mainland - Hong Kong is not behind the great firewall. In this case I'm being blocked by Rivals who don't know how to manage their security settings - not a government.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
It's not on this end. Its Rivals not knowing how to do their security settings. I'm outside the great firewall. Will you please tell them to fix it? I know its not your doing but it is incompetent and all I want to do is follow the 'cats.
Doesn’t Yahoo own Rivals right now?

@EvanstonCat makes it work from China. Maybe he can use his connections to the meritocracy there to lean on Rivals?

@IGNORE2 , I see you lurking, get in here. The water’s fine!

Just like Lake Michigan. I Drink that filthy lake water straight - Fallout style! Mmmm mmm.

I'm not sure how serious you are being, but I literally have zero ability to influence Rivals. I would just use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the site and send a message about your issues.

I'm not sure how serious you are being, but I literally have zero ability to influence Rivals. I would just use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the site and send a message about your issues.
Ok will do. Thanks. 100% serious to the extent that Rivals is blocking access they identify to be from this location. CNN/BBC/FOX, other news/forums all wide open here. So definitely not a matter of firewalls on this end. I'm in tech and it comes down to whether Rivals' tech admins have a clue on how their security settings work.

When I was in The Peoples’ Republic last month I could not get this site using WiFi but when I used data Rivals Wildcat Report became accessible.
That is because yahoo does not offer its services in the PRC. Others like OpenAI are the same. There are some sites that China does block which aren’t accessible without a VPN, e.g. Bloomberg, Google. Strangely, CNN and FoxNews are accessible.

Your were able to access with mobile data because you were on global roaming from your carrier. So you’ll be able to access any sites you would from home. I’m currently in the US and if I use my global roaming from my China Mobile account here, I can’t access Rivals or Google or Bloomberg (or even Waze) without a VPN.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Doesn’t Yahoo own Rivals right now?

@EvanstonCat makes it work from China. Maybe he can use his connections to the meritocracy there to lean on Rivals?

@IGNORE2 , I see you lurking, get in here. The water’s fine!

Just like Lake Michigan. I Drink that filthy lake water straight - Fallout style! Mmmm mmm.
I can say this is a Yahoo policy at least in China. Rivals was perfectly accessible until one day Yahoo announced they would no longer offer its services in China. You need a VPN or global mobile SIM to access. I don’t have any insight into what is going on with HK.
Should add that was also true for Fox News, but surprise, MSNBC was welcomed by the Comrades over there in China.
This is not true. When I was in China, I accessed FoxNews (and CNN) every day with no problem. Videos didn’t run properly though. I don’t think the Chinese spend a lot of effort on blocking English speaking media, or at least it’s really spotty and unclear what their criteria to block or not block is. They are more intent to make sure that the Chinese speaking masses aren’t poisoned by Western propaganda.

With respect as a fellow fan - you are all wrong - confusing the media/web restrictions in Mainland China with Hong Kong, which does not lie behind the PRC firewall. In this respect, they are completely different. All the international news and media properties which are not accessible in the mainland are wide open and accessible in Hong Kong, without need for a VPN, just like they would be in the US: BBC, CNN, Yahoo, FOX, Youtube, Facebook, Google, etc. This is true whether through wifi, local HK mobile plan or whatever. This includes Yahoo which operates in HK, and has a dedicated Yahoo Hong Kong portal. I can also access Yahoo US portal and mail account here no problem.

The one and only problem is that someone at rivals has no idea how to do their security settings. Its a competency and awareness problem on the Rivals end - nothing else.

With respect as a fellow fan - you are all wrong - confusing the media/web restrictions in Mainland China with Hong Kong, which does not lie behind the PRC firewall. In this respect, they are completely different. All the international news and media properties which are not accessible in the mainland are wide open and accessible in Hong Kong, without need for a VPN, just like they would be in the US: BBC, CNN, Yahoo, FOX, Youtube, Facebook, Google, etc. This is true whether through wifi, local HK mobile plan or whatever. This includes Yahoo which operates in HK, and has a dedicated Yahoo Hong Kong portal. I can also access Yahoo US portal and mail account here no problem.

The one and only problem is that someone at rivals has no idea how to do their security settings. Its a competency and awareness problem on the Rivals end - nothing else.
if you were talking to me, I already said I have no insight into what’s going on in HK. I was responding to AlaskanWildcat’s comments on China

if you were talking to me, I already said I have no insight into what’s going on in HK. I was responding to AlaskanWildcat’s comments on China
Thanks and appreciate that - sorry I had indeed missed your last point about HK. It's just wearing a little thin since I started the thread to point to a problem I'm trying to solve, and the conversation keeps going back to speculation and observation on things that aren't relevant to the problem. Even though I'm sure the posts are well intentioned the problem remains unsolved. Anyway, no real harm but as you can tell I'm stewing over it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT